May 13, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
As his second IZOD IndyCar Series season has progressed, Josef Newgarden has continued to position himself as a guy that the series can rely on to get the word out.
Newgarden, who was a threat to win one week ago in Sao Paulo and sits a decent 13th in the standings going into the 97th Indianapolis 500, has proven to be a pro when it comes to both self-marketing and pushing the series. From his past involvement in IndyCar’s “The Offseason” series of YouTube clips to his current role with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s “#Indy500OrBust” marketing campaign, the Tennessee racer has fully embraced online and social media — an area that the series would be wise to keep exploiting as it looks to raise its stature.
It also helps that the Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing driver is always up for a bit of humor, as his latest clip above shows. The clip purports to show what the everyday life of a race car driver is all about, and truth be told, it’s not that different from our own – except for the sweet-looking helmet, of course.
Newgarden was ninth-quickest in yesterday’s practice session at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He and the rest of the drivers will take on the third day of practice this afternoon up to 6 p.m. ET.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0