May 13, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
Marco Andretti and Helio Castroneves led Monday’s practice session for the Indianapolis 500. The two were the only drivers in the field to eclipse the 225mph mark for the day, each tow-assisted.
Andretti again noted how race simulation produced the day’s fastest lap of 225.100mph.
“It helps us now to simulate a mini race,” he said. “I think that’s how the Ganassi team beat us last year. I got too fascinated with how fast can the car go. The car was a handful in the race and it bit me in the end. We knew we needed to make some gains.”
Following the lead two, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Will Power and JR Hildebrand completed the top five.
Chevrolets took eight of the top 10 spots with only Takuma Sato (sixth) and Josef Newgarden (tenth) interloping in their Hondas. AJ Allmendinger, James Hinchcliffe and Tony Kanaan filled spots 7-9 on the day.
Thirty-two drivers took laps, James Jakes completing the most on the day (114 with a best of 218.351, 30th quickest) and Townsend Bell the fewest (12, 221.137, 21st).
Also of note, Conor Daly completed his rookie orientation program and Pippa Mann ran her first laps of the month, while Tristan Vautier’s Schmidt Peterson Motorsports team premiered a plain white car with Lucas Oil sponsorship.
SPM has a second car entered under that umbrella, third as a whole in the Schmidt team, but is unlikely to run it before the weekend. Buddy Lazier is now the only confirmed driver yet to make laps; he’s expected to roll out the No. 91 Lazier Partners Racing Chevrolet on Wednesday, weather pending.
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 4
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1