May 13, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
Marco Andretti and Helio Castroneves led Monday’s practice session for the Indianapolis 500. The two were the only drivers in the field to eclipse the 225mph mark for the day, each tow-assisted.
Andretti again noted how race simulation produced the day’s fastest lap of 225.100mph.
“It helps us now to simulate a mini race,” he said. “I think that’s how the Ganassi team beat us last year. I got too fascinated with how fast can the car go. The car was a handful in the race and it bit me in the end. We knew we needed to make some gains.”
Following the lead two, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Will Power and JR Hildebrand completed the top five.
Chevrolets took eight of the top 10 spots with only Takuma Sato (sixth) and Josef Newgarden (tenth) interloping in their Hondas. AJ Allmendinger, James Hinchcliffe and Tony Kanaan filled spots 7-9 on the day.
Thirty-two drivers took laps, James Jakes completing the most on the day (114 with a best of 218.351, 30th quickest) and Townsend Bell the fewest (12, 221.137, 21st).
Also of note, Conor Daly completed his rookie orientation program and Pippa Mann ran her first laps of the month, while Tristan Vautier’s Schmidt Peterson Motorsports team premiered a plain white car with Lucas Oil sponsorship.
SPM has a second car entered under that umbrella, third as a whole in the Schmidt team, but is unlikely to run it before the weekend. Buddy Lazier is now the only confirmed driver yet to make laps; he’s expected to roll out the No. 91 Lazier Partners Racing Chevrolet on Wednesday, weather pending.
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 1
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 8
- Sebastian Saavedra leads at halfway in IndyCar season finale (VIDEO) 0
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2