May 14, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Mercedes are the favorites to win next week’s prestigious Monaco Grand Prix according to Fernando Alonso.
“They will arrive as favorites. They’ve been on pole the last three races,” said the Spanish Grand Prix winner.
“It’s more difficult to overtake in Monaco so maybe they can keep good positions for longer.”
In addition to setting pole position in the last three races Mercedes have set the fastest single lap by a team in each of the last four Grand Prix weekends, underlining their status as the team to beat in qualifying.
That has previously been the key to winning in Monaco, where the narrow circuit makes overtaking virtually impossible.
But as this year’s tires wear out more quickly than last year’s, it may not be the case next weekend. Pirelli have allocated their softest tires for next week’s race – the soft and super-soft tires.
Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton started first and second for Sunday’s race but slipped to sixth and twelfth respectively by the chequered flag.
Mercedes set the fastest time during qualifying for last year’s Monaco Grand Prix but Michael Schumacher was moved back to sixth on the grid for a penalty incurred in the previous race.
- Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close 5
- MotorSportsTalk’s Predictions: Hungarian GP 0
- Alexander Rossi joins Marussia as reserve driver 2
- 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix Preview 3
- Bubba Wallace dominates to win MudSummer Classic at Eldora (updated) 3