May 14, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Takuma Sato is the man of the moment, on-track, in IndyCar. And as such, any door for a Formula One comeback is all but certainly closed for him.
Sato reflected Tuesday on his years in F1 when asked whether there was any “unfinished business” for him there. Despite being close to several deals when the Super Aguri team folded in 2008, there were no further starts for him after that happened.
“It was a really sad moment for everyone, for the sport and for the team and for the members, but it was an unfinished job in F1 for me. So I tried to come back in F1 for nearly two seasons,” said Sato.
“I had a huge opportunity with the Toro Rosso team, but unfortunately at the end of the day for some reason that didn’t happen; that was a really shocking moment. Then after that, as well, I had a little opportunity but it just didn’t happen.”
Sato came to IndyCar in 2010, first with Jimmy Vasser’s team, and hasn’t looked back.
“Formula One isn’t the only racing,” he said. “I had a great opportunity to come here with Jimmy. And since then, my focus is 100 percent in Indy.
“And my first focus is to win races here, win the ’500′ and win the championship. It’s all sort of growing up, and now a lot of momentum and a lot of – how can I say – it’s the target that I want to do.”
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)