May 15, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost described F1′s new rules for 2014 as a “huge challenge – both technically and economically”.
Speaking in an interview with the official Formula One website Tost said he expects engine prices to double next year for the new V6 turbo units with sophisticated Energy Recovery Units.
“We think that the costs for the power train will be 100 percent more that it is now. You have to swallow that in 2014. 2015 and 2016 will hopefully see a dramatic fall in expenses, but in 2014 you have to dig deep into your pocket.”
Tost warned that a consequence of reopening engine development could be a less competitive field. “What I worry about is whether we will see as tight a field as we have now and which has produced very interesting races,” he said. “Now we have regulations that are very tight and so technical excesses are not possible.”
He described the planned changes as “a totally new Formula One”.
“All technical philosophies of the here and now will be abandoned for something completely new. And to implement that brand new power unit into the car will be an interesting story for the engineers and will mean a completely new strategy.
“You have a turbo engine, the much stronger ERS unleashing something around 160 horsepower and then you have the limited fuel injection. To optimally combine these three factors will be the key to success.”
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 0
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)