May 15, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Alexander Rossi’s month of June just got a bit busier with the announcement Wednesday he will make his debut in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, June 22-23. Rossi will race in the No. 41 Greaves Motorsport Zytek Nissan in the LMP2 class, with co-drivers Tom Kimber-Smith and Eric Lux. The American replaces Christian Zugel, a businessman and amateur driver, in the team’s lineup. Zugel’s family and business commitments will prevent his participation in this year’s race.
Rossi, 21, will participate in free practice one at the Canadian Grand Prix for Caterham, where he is one of the team’s two reserve drivers, on June 7. Le Mans is a week-plus event with the pre-race test day on June 9, scrutineering (technical inspection) the following Sunday and Monday and track activity beginning Wednesday, June 19.
“We are sorry to lose Christian from our Le Mans lineup, he has been an integral part of the team over the past two seasons and brings many elements from his business world that have helped us,” said team manager Jacob Greaves. “We are fortunate to have signed a driver of Alexander’s caliber and we are confident that we can combine our strengths to challenge for the LMP2 class victory at 90th anniversary Le Mans 24 Hours.”
A host of former Formula One and IndyCar pilots will be in the 56-car field for the race. Greaves had a car with Martin Brundle and son Alex a year ago, who co-drove with Lucas Ordonez.
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 0
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 2
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)