May 15, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Alexander Rossi’s month of June just got a bit busier with the announcement Wednesday he will make his debut in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, June 22-23. Rossi will race in the No. 41 Greaves Motorsport Zytek Nissan in the LMP2 class, with co-drivers Tom Kimber-Smith and Eric Lux. The American replaces Christian Zugel, a businessman and amateur driver, in the team’s lineup. Zugel’s family and business commitments will prevent his participation in this year’s race.
Rossi, 21, will participate in free practice one at the Canadian Grand Prix for Caterham, where he is one of the team’s two reserve drivers, on June 7. Le Mans is a week-plus event with the pre-race test day on June 9, scrutineering (technical inspection) the following Sunday and Monday and track activity beginning Wednesday, June 19.
“We are sorry to lose Christian from our Le Mans lineup, he has been an integral part of the team over the past two seasons and brings many elements from his business world that have helped us,” said team manager Jacob Greaves. “We are fortunate to have signed a driver of Alexander’s caliber and we are confident that we can combine our strengths to challenge for the LMP2 class victory at 90th anniversary Le Mans 24 Hours.”
A host of former Formula One and IndyCar pilots will be in the 56-car field for the race. Greaves had a car with Martin Brundle and son Alex a year ago, who co-drove with Lucas Ordonez.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 1
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 15
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 1
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 5
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1