May 15, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Here are five top stats from last weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix.
Alonso’s home win hat-trick…
Fernando Alonso has now won a round of the world championship in his home country three times: the Spanish Grand Prix at the Circuit de Catalunya in 2006 and 2013, and the European Grand Prix at the Valencia Street Circuit in 2012.
He is the sixth driver to win his home race three times, joining Michael Schumacher (nine home wins), Alain Prost (six), Nigel Mansell (five), Jim Clark (five) and Juan Manuel Fangio (four).
Apart from when the Indianapolis 500 counted towards the world championship from 1950 to 1960, the only American driver to win at home was Mario Andretti in the 1977 United States Grand Prix West at Long Beach.
…scored from off the front row
Overtaking isn’t easy at the Circuit de Catalunya. Before Alonso’s win from fifth on Sunday the last driver to win the race starting off the front row was Michael Schumacher in the 1996 race, run in very wet conditions.
Nico Rosberg’s third pole position
Nico Rosberg started from pole position for the third time in his career. The 1979 world champion Jody Scheckter scored exactly three pole positions during his career, as did fellow former drivers Jose Froilan Gonzalez, Tony Brooks, Dan Gurney, Jean-Pierre Jarier, Elio de Angelis and Teo Fabi.
Gutierrez’s fastest lap
Esteban Gutierrez missed out on scoring his first F1 point by just three-tenths of a second. But he can console himself with the fact he set fastest lap.
Only one driver finished their F1 career having set fastest lap in a race but never scored a point: Briton Brian Henton, who set the quickest time during the 1982 British Grand Prix at Brands hatch, driving for Tyrrell.
Raikkonen keeps going
That’s 22 races in a row where Kimi Raikkonen has scored points. He needs two more to match Michael Schumacher’s all-time record of 24. Alonso made it to 23 last year but was taken out in a first lap crash at the next race.
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 2
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 7
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 4
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 3