May 16, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
After a day where Dario Franchitti interrupted, the Andretti Autosport contingent returned to the top of the timesheets in Thursday’s practice for the Indianapolis 500. Temperatures were cooler than Wednesday, in the 70s (ambient) and 100s (track) throughout the day.
Carlos Munoz, the rookie in the No. 26 Electric Energy Straws Chevrolet, put in the month’s fastest lap of 225.163 on his 60th of 70 laps turned. Ryan Hunter-Reay was second in the No. 1 DHL Chevrolet, at 225.006. Both laps came during the final hour of the day when the track was at its busiest and tows were frequent.
Marco Andretti (Andretti), Scott Dixon (Target Ganassi), Helio Castroneves (Penske) and E.J. Viso (Andretti) made it a “power team” dominated top six on the last day of running before IndyCar increases the boost pressure from 130 kPa to 140 kPA.
The boost increase is expected to provide 40 more horsepower, and roughly 4-5 mph per lap increase. Pole speeds are projected in either the high 229 mph range or potentially the low 230s.
JR Hildebrand (Panther), Ed Carpenter (ECR), Oriol Servia (Panther DRR) and Takuma Sato (Foyt) completed the top 10.
Thirty of the 32 drivers who ran full laps eclipsed the 220 mph barrier, with Ana Beatriz (Coyne) and Michel Jourdain Jr. (RLL) the only two who didn’t.
The thirty-third entrant, 1996 Indianapolis 500 champion Buddy Lazier in the family owned and operated No. 91 Lazier Partners Racing Chevrolet, finally made it on track for three installation laps and systems checks.
A.J. Foyt Racing rookie Conor Daly had the month’s first accident but emerged uninjured. Justin Wilson ran the most laps (100), and excluding Lazier’s three, Alex Tagliani (16) turned in the fewest total of the day.
“Fast Friday” is tomorrow with pole qualifying scheduled for Saturday.
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 0
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0