May 16, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
KV Racing Technology’s new lineup of Tony Kanaan and Simona de Silvestro is one of the most popular in the IndyCar paddock. That said, there’s still a feeling of disappointment that Kanaan’s longtime best friend and last year, teammate, Rubens Barrichello isn’t around this year.
Barrichello raised enough money between Brazilian companies and some out of pocket to race in the 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series after a 19-year career in Formula One.
Although Barrichello has started the most races in F1 history, more than 300, continuing out of pocket in IndyCar for a second season wasn’t realistic. He wanted to come back, according to Kanaan.
“I don’t think he needed any convincing. He wanted to do it,” Kanaan said in a press conference Wednesday. “But coming from Formula One, and he brought a lot to us by doing the switch, we didn’t do a good job getting him to stay. When he put almost $5 million out of his own pocket after 19 years just because he wanted to keep racing, it was remarkable.”
Kanaan cited a number of factors, including the challenging climate of selling sponsorship for IndyCar racing, despite a good on-track product.
“To ask him do it again, I don’t think was fair,” he said. “I’m not blaming anybody. It’s just the situation we all face. He felt he couldn’t find the money, and got an offer in (Brazilian) stock cars and some TV work to do that. It was just consequences of the financial situation right now.”
Citing sponsorship challenges, Kanaan can relate. A number of companies – Hydroxycut, GEICO and Mouser Electronics – have already stepped up to sponsor the No. 11 KVRT-SH Chevrolet entry this year. Reportedly, more races are still available for sale on this car.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 4
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)