May 16, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
For both McLaren drivers Jenson Button and Sergio Perez, the chance to race a Honda-powered car stirs their emotions.
Button was part of Honda’s last Formula One effort, racing in the team first known as British American Racing from 2003 to 2005 before Honda took it over outright as a works team in 2006. Button won his long awaited first Grand Prix in the No. 12 Honda at the 2006 Hungarian Grand Prix.
“I first raced a Formula One car powered by a Honda engine in 2003, and I was a works Honda Formula One driver between 2006 and ’08, winning my first Grand Prix in Hungary in 2006 in a Honda Formula One car, so I know exactly how passionate Honda is about motorsport, and Formula One in particular,” said Button.
Perez, born in 1990, grew up during Ayrton Senna’s McLaren-Honda glory years. Senna won all three of his World Championships in the iconic machinery in 1988, ’90 and ’91.
“I was born in 1990 – the year Ayrton Senna won the second of his three world championships driving for McLaren-Honda – and I’ve grown up always knowing just how much that era lives on in the hearts and minds of motorsport fans around the world,” said Perez.
“Of course, Ayrton is my hero, as he’s a hero to many millions of people living in Central America and South America. So today’s announcement not only rekindles all the fantastic memories of that successful era, but it also starts a new age – which can be even more exciting.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14