May 16, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Scuderia Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost believes that Daniel Ricciardo is currently leading the race to replace Mark Webber at Red Bull at the end of the season, although he refused to write off Jean-Eric Vergne’s chances.
Both Toro Rosso drivers have made good starts to the 2013 season, but it is Ricciardo who has starred, running to P7 at the Chinese Grand Prix and turning many heads in the process.
“Well, performance is all that matters and you definitely can see that Daniel with 11 races more under his belt – which is more than half of a season – is probably in a better situation,” Tost told the official Formula One website.
“Right now he has the upper hand, which we have seen in Barcelona. But that is a snapshot right now. Generally I would say that both would fit into the Red Bull concept.”
Tost did make clear that if either driver was to join Red Bull for next season, they would need to have a highly impressive second half of 2013 to prove that they are worthy of joining the defending world champions.
“Both would have to demonstrate an exceptionally good second half of the season, because don’t forget we are speaking about the world champions, so the requirement profile is quite different to being with a team like Toro Rosso.
“But don’t get me wrong, both are on a very good path and everything will depend on the next couple of months as to whether one of the two of them – should the need be there – qualify for Red Bull Racing.”
Ricciardo and Vergne both have strong cases for joining Red Bull should the team choose not to renew Mark Webber’s contract, but with Nico Hulkenberg and Kimi Raikkonen also thought to be in the running for the seat, the Toro Rosso pair will need to produce some sensational performances if they are to prove their worth to the world champions.
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 0
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)