May 17, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Bryan Herta Autosport and Barracuda Racing may not be IndyCar’s biggest team, but their fan outreach and engaging is hard to beat within the IndyCar paddock.
Team PR ace Monica Hilton (who speaks twice in the above video, in front of the team garage) joined the team just prior to the 2012 season, after developing a cult following for Simona de Silvestro’s older, heavier backup car called “Pork Chop” in 2011 when she and de Silvestro worked at HVM Racing.
Since her arrival at BHA, the team that won the 2011 Indianapolis 500 with the late Dan Wheldon has seen a surge in its social media presence and fan involvement at tracks.
BHA works in a “tweet-up” at every round of the IndyCar schedule, usually featuring someone from the BHA squad and others from the racing community. Driver Alex Tagliani is a regular.
This week, BHA hit 10,000 followers on Twitter. It may not sound like a lot, and it’s not the biggest number in the IndyCar paddock, although it is a respectable fourth.
But in thanks to all its fans, the team created a video with all its crewmembers – allowing everyday observers the insight of who the faces are behind the wrenches on the No. 98 Barracuda Honda. It also includes thanks from team co-owners Bryan Herta and Steve Newey.
And for that, we say thanks.
A rounding of IndyCar team Twitter handles and follower counts as of May 16 are below:
- Team Penske (@PenskeRacing): 47.7K
- Andretti Autosport (@FollowAndretti): 27.3K
- KV Racing Technology (@KVRacing): 17.2K
- Barracuda Racing (@BHA): 10K
- Panther Racing: (@PantherRacing) 8.9K
- A.J. Foyt Entrprises (@AJFoytRacing): 8K
- Panther DRR (@PantherDRR): 7.6K
- Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (@RLLRacing): 7.2K
- Chip Ganassi Racing (@CGRTeams): 7.1K
- Target Chip Ganassi Racing (@TCGRTeams): 7K
- Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing (@SFHRIndy): 6.9K
- Ed Carpenter Racing (@ECRIndy): 5.7K
- Schmidt Peterson/Schmidt Hamilton: (@SPMIndyCar): 3.8K
- Dragon Racing (@DragonRacing): 3.5K
- Dale Coyne Racing (@DaleCoyneRacing): 2.9K
Sep 16, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Lajoie will run his first Cup race at New Hampshire, while Justin Boston will drive for Joe Gibbs Racing at Kentucky and Dover in the Nationwide Series.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Will experience or hunger help him capture his 2nd Sprint Cup title? The NASCAR AMERICA gang debates the topic.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
NBC Sports legal analyst Jack Furlong breaks down what could happen now that a grand jury will decide whether Stewart will face charges for his involvement in the accident that killed sprint car racer Kevin Ward Jr.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The nine-turn Port of Los Angeles circuit will feature the longest joker of the 2014 GRC season.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Teams now know what radio messages can and cannot be made heading into this weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Also coming up today: What’s more important in winning a Sprint Cup title: Experience or Drive?; rookie phenom Kyle Larson on dealing with the hype; NASCAR pioneer Wendell Scott to be honored next month.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The Russian driver will continue his rehab work in Indy after sustaining multiple injuries in a practice crash on Aug. 29 at Auto Club Speedway.
Sep 16, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The three-time NASCAR champion responds that he intends to “continue to provide my full cooperation.”
Sep 16, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
OAK Racing to return to FIA WEC for three of last four races.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Sprint Cup driver David Ragan and Camping World Truck Series driver Darrell Wallace Jr. will sport special paint schemes honoring Scott during the Martinsville Chase weekend in October.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Videos from the Pirelli World Challenge championship celebration highlight 25 years, and the 25th year (2014) of the championship.
Sep 16, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
All the notes and numbers to keep in mind as NASCAR enters the second race of the Chase’s Challenger Round.
Sep 16, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Reports from Australia peg the season-opening race having posted an A$60 million loss in 2014.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
CFH Racing reveals logo and will reveal a part of its 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series program on Wednesday.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Corvette Racing and Corvette DP teams look for Austin win encore this weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Expect the 100 kg fuel limit to enter the equation this weekend, says Renault’s head of track operations.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:28 AM EDT
Sergio Perez looks to go 4-4 in Singapore scores.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Michael Waltrip and partner Emma Slater look to avoid being eliminated after first dance effort on DWTS.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
Tony Stewart is expected to learn later this week if he will not face charges or may be indicted in last month’s Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy. A noted attorney with extensive experience in death and catastrophic injury cases explained to MST the legal process in Stewart’s case.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
In his first-ever race in the Chase for the Sprint Cup, Aric Almirola suffered a blown engine at Chicagoland Speedway for the first time in his three-year career.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Brad Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 12
- Renault’s Taffin: Fuel consumption could well be an issue in Singapore 1
- Jeff Gordon makes strong ‘Drive For Five’ start, also has high praise for Kyle Larson in Chase opener 2
- Keselowski surges between Harvick, Larson to win Chase opener at Chicagoland 0
- For 16 Sprint Cup drivers, the time is here: ready, set, Chase 0