May 17, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Buddy Lazier, the 1996 Indianapolis 500 champion, began his refresher program Friday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Lazier completed 18 laps on Friday so he didn’t finish the refresher program, which required him to pass the final two phases of the Rookie Orientation Program: 15 laps at 205-209 mph and 15 laps at 210 mph-plus. His best lap of the day was 222.464 mph.
Lazier has a decorated history at the track with 16 prior starts and was one of the most successful drivers of the Indy Racing League era at the track. His last start in the race came in 2008 (qualifying picture right), and he last attempted to qualify in 2009.
He has a family effort this year, in the No. 91 Lazier Partners Racing Chevrolet, with a number of ex-Hemelgarn Racing crew members including crew chief Dennis LaCava. The car is the former Lotus test chassis fielded by Fan Force United in last year’s Indianapolis 500, where Lazier served as a driver coach for rookie Jean Alesi.
After installation laps were completed on Thursday, Lazier had his first real bit of running on Friday.
“The guys (crew) did a great job,” he said. “The car feels incredibly good. It’s always nice in the morning when it’s cool. We would have gone a lot faster, but we were just flat out of gear. We were on the rev limiter more than two-thirds of the racetrack.”
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)