May 17, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Force India’s deputy team principal Bob Fernley has said that the team must secure some strong double-scores in the upcoming races if they are to stay ahead of McLaren in the constructors’ championship.
The team has made its best ever start to a Formula One season, currently lying 5th in the constructors’ championship ahead of McLaren. However, Fernley has encouraged all those involved with Force India to up their game if they are to continue this good form.
Talking to Autosport, Fernley said: “In order for us to have an opportunity to keep ahead of McLaren, not only do we have to work hard from a maintaining the pace point of view but we have to make sure that we get two cars in the points.”
At the last two races, Paul di Resta has scored well, but Adrian Sutil’s bad luck has seen him get caught up in incidents, ending all hopes of a double-points score for the team. Fernley is sure that once this inconsistency is rectified, the team will be able to widen the gap to McLaren in the championship.
“At the moment, that is our weakness – we are not delivering both cars in the points when we have got the opportunity.
“It is recoverable, we just have to try and make sure we can deliver.”
Force India will face a tough task to keep McLaren behind them for the rest of the season, with the legendary team working hard to improve the pace of the MP4-28 in the coming weeks. Regardless, di Resta and Sutil will be delighted to be in such a position so early on, and a podium finish will be the next aim for the team.
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 1
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5