May 17, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton is keen on continuing Mercedes’ good form in qualifying at next weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix, but he has underlined the importance of improving his race pace on Sunday after a reason run of poor results.
The team has failed to convert any of its three pole positions so far in 2013, but Hamilton is sure that the team is moving in the right direction.
“Perhaps more than at many other tracks, qualifying and getting the best possible track position is crucial in Monaco, but we have to keep our focus on Sunday as well and keep working to improve our race pace,” Hamilton explained in a team statement. “Everyone is working really hard and I know we can get there. We just need to keep motivated and work it out together.
“Whilst there hasn’t been a lot of time since Barcelona, we’ve been working hard to put the disappointment of the last race behind us and focus on the opportunities ahead.
The Monaco Grand Prix is a favorite of Hamilton’s, with the British driver winning the event in 2008. Although the street circuit may pose an extra challenge to the drivers, this only adds to the excitement for Hamilton.
“Monaco is one of my favorite races of the year and I love driving the streets there. As a driver, you know that you have to perform on every single lap and it’s a challenge that I really enjoy. It’s a real experience to see the barriers flashing past at high speed and I love the fact that the fans can get so close to the track making for a great atmosphere.”
Due to their recent form, it would be brave to bet against Mercedes claiming pole position in Monaco. However, with their race pace still lagging behind that of Ferrari, Red Bull and Lotus, the team will need to have made some improvement over the two week break if they are to end their winless streak in Monaco.
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Long Beach (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 0
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 1
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0