May 17, 2013, 7:00 AM EST
Tweets remembering Dick Trickle, who died Thursday at age 71, poured in throughout the day into the evening. Mostly NASCAR drivers offered reflections, although others from around the racing and media world also shared thoughts on Trickle’s passing.
There’s undoubtedly more on Twitter by searching for “Dick Trickle.” Here’s a sampling:
DRIVERS AND CREW
- David Hobbs (@MrDavidHobbs): How tragic for Dick to take his own life.
- A man who won so many races, in the hundreds, with so many fans. Life is fragile even 4 heroes
- Johnny Sauter (@JohnnySauter): Lost one of the BEST today! Crushed!
- Matt Kenseth (@MattKenseth): So sad to hear about #dicktrickle. Thinking about and praying for his family….
- Mark Martin (@55MarkMartin): Say it’s not so. Sad news about a racing legend. Dick Trickle.
- Andy Lally (@AndyLally): Horrible news. Incredibly sad to hear about Dick Trickle. #RIP
- Landon Cassill (@LandonCassill): Trickle was a legend-When i was 14 we beat doors for 50 laps @ Madison-He gave me the boot w/ 5 to go, offered me a cigarette after the race
- Rusty Wallace (@RustyWallace): Dick Trickle was a friend, a mentor & one of the best drivers ever. Without him, I wouldn’t be where I am now. I will miss him tremendously.
- Kenny Wallace (@Kenny_Wallace): Dick Trickle taught me to be me, He taught me to Justify things my way and said “Kenny keep laughing loud cause that’s who you are”
- Jeff Gordon (@JeffGordonWeb): Sad to hear the news of the passing of Dick Trickle. He was one tough competitor! #RIPDickTrickle
- Joey Logano (@JoeyLogano): Sad to hear of Dick Trickle. At some point we were all short trackers. He was the best. #RIPDickTrickle
- Mike Kelley (@CrewChief6NNS): Trickle was a legend before racers were cool and popular. He kicked your ass and you rememberd it. Then he’d have a beer w you.#RIPTrickle
- Lance Allan (@LanceAllan; NBC WTMJ-TV, Milwaukee): Always remember my Dad taking me to #ASA races in the 70′s as Dick Trickle drove the SuperAmerica “White Knight” 99 to many victories #RIP / Favorite quote from Dick Trickle @SlingerSpeedway & I asked him about returning to WI “I always remember where my rootses is.” #classic #RIP
- Chris Jenkins (@ByChrisJenkins, ex-AP): Once heard Dick Trickle say, “Only two things were big in Wisconsin in the 1970s: The Green Bay Packers and Dick Trickle.” #RIP
- Pete Pistone (@PPistone, Sirius XM): My fondest memories of the Slinger Nationals back when it was held on Tuesday night and was really a big deal was just talking with Trickle. He’d always take time from working on the car in the pits to talk with me and my dad – same at Madison and Rockford too back in the day
- Ryan McGee (@ESPNMcGee, ESPN): Another Dick Trickle story. I asked if Cole from Days of Thunder was his son. “Could be. Some nights back there are fuzzy.”
- Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann, ex-ESPN and MSNBC): Awful news: Dick Trickle is dead ( …) No sports figure Dan + I had fun with took it more graciously. In fact, gratefully.
- Rick Allen named lead NASCAR announcer for NBC Sports 1
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement 10
- 2014 F1 schedule finalized without New Jersey, Mexico, and Korea 0
- Jeff Burton joins NBC Sports as NASCAR analyst 2
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN 6
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- Stewart: There’s “a lot of potential” for Danica Patrick (7)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (7)
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (7)
- FIA considering pole trophy and permanent numbers (6)