May 17, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Tweets remembering Dick Trickle, who died Thursday at age 71, poured in throughout the day into the evening. Mostly NASCAR drivers offered reflections, although others from around the racing and media world also shared thoughts on Trickle’s passing.
There’s undoubtedly more on Twitter by searching for “Dick Trickle.” Here’s a sampling:
DRIVERS AND CREW
- David Hobbs (@MrDavidHobbs): How tragic for Dick to take his own life.
- A man who won so many races, in the hundreds, with so many fans. Life is fragile even 4 heroes
- Johnny Sauter (@JohnnySauter): Lost one of the BEST today! Crushed!
- Matt Kenseth (@MattKenseth): So sad to hear about #dicktrickle. Thinking about and praying for his family….
- Mark Martin (@55MarkMartin): Say it’s not so. Sad news about a racing legend. Dick Trickle.
- Andy Lally (@AndyLally): Horrible news. Incredibly sad to hear about Dick Trickle. #RIP
- Landon Cassill (@LandonCassill): Trickle was a legend-When i was 14 we beat doors for 50 laps @ Madison-He gave me the boot w/ 5 to go, offered me a cigarette after the race
- Rusty Wallace (@RustyWallace): Dick Trickle was a friend, a mentor & one of the best drivers ever. Without him, I wouldn’t be where I am now. I will miss him tremendously.
- Kenny Wallace (@Kenny_Wallace): Dick Trickle taught me to be me, He taught me to Justify things my way and said “Kenny keep laughing loud cause that’s who you are”
- Jeff Gordon (@JeffGordonWeb): Sad to hear the news of the passing of Dick Trickle. He was one tough competitor! #RIPDickTrickle
- Joey Logano (@JoeyLogano): Sad to hear of Dick Trickle. At some point we were all short trackers. He was the best. #RIPDickTrickle
- Mike Kelley (@CrewChief6NNS): Trickle was a legend before racers were cool and popular. He kicked your ass and you rememberd it. Then he’d have a beer w you.#RIPTrickle
- Lance Allan (@LanceAllan; NBC WTMJ-TV, Milwaukee): Always remember my Dad taking me to #ASA races in the 70’s as Dick Trickle drove the SuperAmerica “White Knight” 99 to many victories #RIP / Favorite quote from Dick Trickle @SlingerSpeedway & I asked him about returning to WI “I always remember where my rootses is.” #classic #RIP
- Chris Jenkins (@ByChrisJenkins, ex-AP): Once heard Dick Trickle say, “Only two things were big in Wisconsin in the 1970s: The Green Bay Packers and Dick Trickle.” #RIP
- Pete Pistone (@PPistone, Sirius XM): My fondest memories of the Slinger Nationals back when it was held on Tuesday night and was really a big deal was just talking with Trickle. He’d always take time from working on the car in the pits to talk with me and my dad – same at Madison and Rockford too back in the day
- Ryan McGee (@ESPNMcGee, ESPN): Another Dick Trickle story. I asked if Cole from Days of Thunder was his son. “Could be. Some nights back there are fuzzy.”
- Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann, ex-ESPN and MSNBC): Awful news: Dick Trickle is dead ( …) No sports figure Dan + I had fun with took it more graciously. In fact, gratefully.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Six different teams are represented among the eight remaining Chasers, and NASCAR’s post-season is starting to resemble another familiar tournament. NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty and Jeff Burton discuss.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Newman, one of the “Eliminator 8,” may be penalized tomorrow by NASCAR after his car was found to be too low following Sunday’s race at Talladega. Nate Ryan has more on the situation.
Oct 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Notes and numbers to keep in mind as the 8 remaining Chasers prepare to begin the Eliminator Round.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Recapping Talladega on NASCAR AMERICA.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
A great post-season for Busch was erased by a mid-race crash on Sunday at Talladega, but crew chief Dave Rogers says there’s no point in blaming the rules of the new Chase.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Miami Formula E circuit revealed.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Prepare to have this track bouncing in your head all day.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
What to know heading into the next round of NASCAR’s Chase.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
They say they always do things bigger in Texas, and that phrase would perfectly describe legendary former drag racer and NASCAR team owner Raymond Beadle.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Coby finishes 17th in the season finale at Thompson (Conn.) Speedway, but earns the 2014 series title by 22 points over race winner Ryan Preece.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Turner on the move to PWC from IMSA.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Beadle helped bring the “Blue Max” brand to prominence in drag racing, and guided NASCAR legend Rusty Wallace to his lone Winston Cup title.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
DTM champion will test for Toro Rosso.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Both of Team Penske’s drivers advance to Eliminator round of Chase, which saves the ignominy of one of the winningest drivers this year going home.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
The organization says it will make a full presentation on its findings during the next World Motor Sport Council meeting in December.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Love him or loathe him, Keselowski deserves respect for coming through in the clutch like he did on Sunday.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
After Cassill, Kvapil’s sixth leads a quartet of more surprise drivers in top-20 Sunday at Talladega.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Ricciardo comes to the U.S. early for Supercross.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
A potential nightmare situation for Sprint Cup’s new Chase still exists, in the form of two as-yet winless drivers still battling for a title in 2014.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Career day for Landon Cassill ends not only with his first Cup top-five, but first top-10.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 1
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10