May 17, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Tweets remembering Dick Trickle, who died Thursday at age 71, poured in throughout the day into the evening. Mostly NASCAR drivers offered reflections, although others from around the racing and media world also shared thoughts on Trickle’s passing.
There’s undoubtedly more on Twitter by searching for “Dick Trickle.” Here’s a sampling:
DRIVERS AND CREW
- David Hobbs (@MrDavidHobbs): How tragic for Dick to take his own life.
- A man who won so many races, in the hundreds, with so many fans. Life is fragile even 4 heroes
- Johnny Sauter (@JohnnySauter): Lost one of the BEST today! Crushed!
- Matt Kenseth (@MattKenseth): So sad to hear about #dicktrickle. Thinking about and praying for his family….
- Mark Martin (@55MarkMartin): Say it’s not so. Sad news about a racing legend. Dick Trickle.
- Andy Lally (@AndyLally): Horrible news. Incredibly sad to hear about Dick Trickle. #RIP
- Landon Cassill (@LandonCassill): Trickle was a legend-When i was 14 we beat doors for 50 laps @ Madison-He gave me the boot w/ 5 to go, offered me a cigarette after the race
- Rusty Wallace (@RustyWallace): Dick Trickle was a friend, a mentor & one of the best drivers ever. Without him, I wouldn’t be where I am now. I will miss him tremendously.
- Kenny Wallace (@Kenny_Wallace): Dick Trickle taught me to be me, He taught me to Justify things my way and said “Kenny keep laughing loud cause that’s who you are”
- Jeff Gordon (@JeffGordonWeb): Sad to hear the news of the passing of Dick Trickle. He was one tough competitor! #RIPDickTrickle
- Joey Logano (@JoeyLogano): Sad to hear of Dick Trickle. At some point we were all short trackers. He was the best. #RIPDickTrickle
- Mike Kelley (@CrewChief6NNS): Trickle was a legend before racers were cool and popular. He kicked your ass and you rememberd it. Then he’d have a beer w you.#RIPTrickle
- Lance Allan (@LanceAllan; NBC WTMJ-TV, Milwaukee): Always remember my Dad taking me to #ASA races in the 70’s as Dick Trickle drove the SuperAmerica “White Knight” 99 to many victories #RIP / Favorite quote from Dick Trickle @SlingerSpeedway & I asked him about returning to WI “I always remember where my rootses is.” #classic #RIP
- Chris Jenkins (@ByChrisJenkins, ex-AP): Once heard Dick Trickle say, “Only two things were big in Wisconsin in the 1970s: The Green Bay Packers and Dick Trickle.” #RIP
- Pete Pistone (@PPistone, Sirius XM): My fondest memories of the Slinger Nationals back when it was held on Tuesday night and was really a big deal was just talking with Trickle. He’d always take time from working on the car in the pits to talk with me and my dad – same at Madison and Rockford too back in the day
- Ryan McGee (@ESPNMcGee, ESPN): Another Dick Trickle story. I asked if Cole from Days of Thunder was his son. “Could be. Some nights back there are fuzzy.”
- Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann, ex-ESPN and MSNBC): Awful news: Dick Trickle is dead ( …) No sports figure Dan + I had fun with took it more graciously. In fact, gratefully.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The Acura TLX-GT will make its debut at Mid-Ohio, later than planned but still on Honda’s home weekend.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
More analysis on Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s new crew chief, Greg Ives, took center stage on Thursday’s NASCAR AMERICA on NBCSN.
Jul 31, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Thursday’s NASCAR AMERICA lineup…
Jul 31, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Malaysian FIA Formula E round moves from October to November to accommodate prime minister’s wishes.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay and Simon Pagenaud look to make headway on Team Penske teammates, while Chip Ganassi Racing seeks a six-pack of Mid-Ohio wins this weekend.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Anthony Richardson bills himself as the Bad British Commentator, and it definitely shows through here with his malapropisms and complete lack of understanding of the sport and world of NASCAR.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
There may not be wholesale changes, based upon what NASCAR chairman Brian France said recently, but next year’s Sprint Cup schedule will look different. Based upon various sources and things we’ve heard and/or read, we’re going to chime in with our ideas and why we think that way.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
With six qualifying races left, a total of 10 more spots remain to be clinched to fill out the expanded 16-driver playoff field for this year’s 10-race Chase for the Sprint Cup.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Legendary NASCAR driver Mark Martin is returning to Roush Fenway Racing. But don’t expect Martin, 55, to get back behind the wheel any time soon.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
If you collect NASCAR memorabilia and someone approaches you in the coming days with a deal that seems too good to be true – especially if it involves merchandise related to either Dale Earnhardt Sr. or Dale Earnhardt Jr. – it probably is.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Ferrari’s head of Engine and Electrics, Luca Marmorini, has left the team ahead of the second half of the season.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
NBCSN will present live coverage of the IndyCar Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio this Sunday at 3 p.m. ET, highlighting more than 30 hours of motorsports coverage across NBC and NBCSN this weekend.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. That’s the case for the new design of the Toyota Camry for the 2015 Sprint Cup season.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Ed Carpenter says he’d like to expand to two cars, but it remains to be seen if this can actually come to fruition.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Personal care brand will serve as primary backer for Stenhouse in multiple 2015 races plus work in a season-long associate role.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
NASCAR AMERICA on Wednesday includes a Denny Hamlin interview, a recap of the Hamlin penalties and Dale Earnhardt Jr. new crew chief news.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Nelson Piquet Jr. shows Kristen Kenney how to wakeboard, on the day after Piquet bagged a podium finish in Red Bull Global Rallycross at Charlotte.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Coming up today: Full coverage of Brickyard penalties against Joe Gibbs Racing, including reaction from driver Denny Hamlin; interview with Eldora Truck Series winner Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Next year, Ives will have deal with an amount of fan and media attention that dwarfs anything he’s ever encountered in the sport.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
The livery notes going into this weekend’s Honda Indy 200 at Toronto.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Thursday round-up (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar: A crucial weekend to commence at Mid-Ohio 0
- Mark Martin returning to Roush Fenway Racing in unique role 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Wednesday Round-Up Includes Denny Hamlin Interview (VIDEO) 3
- Greg Ives to become crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season 12