May 17, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Tweets remembering Dick Trickle, who died Thursday at age 71, poured in throughout the day into the evening. Mostly NASCAR drivers offered reflections, although others from around the racing and media world also shared thoughts on Trickle’s passing.
There’s undoubtedly more on Twitter by searching for “Dick Trickle.” Here’s a sampling:
DRIVERS AND CREW
- David Hobbs (@MrDavidHobbs): How tragic for Dick to take his own life.
- A man who won so many races, in the hundreds, with so many fans. Life is fragile even 4 heroes
- Johnny Sauter (@JohnnySauter): Lost one of the BEST today! Crushed!
- Matt Kenseth (@MattKenseth): So sad to hear about #dicktrickle. Thinking about and praying for his family….
- Mark Martin (@55MarkMartin): Say it’s not so. Sad news about a racing legend. Dick Trickle.
- Andy Lally (@AndyLally): Horrible news. Incredibly sad to hear about Dick Trickle. #RIP
- Landon Cassill (@LandonCassill): Trickle was a legend-When i was 14 we beat doors for 50 laps @ Madison-He gave me the boot w/ 5 to go, offered me a cigarette after the race
- Rusty Wallace (@RustyWallace): Dick Trickle was a friend, a mentor & one of the best drivers ever. Without him, I wouldn’t be where I am now. I will miss him tremendously.
- Kenny Wallace (@Kenny_Wallace): Dick Trickle taught me to be me, He taught me to Justify things my way and said “Kenny keep laughing loud cause that’s who you are”
- Jeff Gordon (@JeffGordonWeb): Sad to hear the news of the passing of Dick Trickle. He was one tough competitor! #RIPDickTrickle
- Joey Logano (@JoeyLogano): Sad to hear of Dick Trickle. At some point we were all short trackers. He was the best. #RIPDickTrickle
- Mike Kelley (@CrewChief6NNS): Trickle was a legend before racers were cool and popular. He kicked your ass and you rememberd it. Then he’d have a beer w you.#RIPTrickle
- Lance Allan (@LanceAllan; NBC WTMJ-TV, Milwaukee): Always remember my Dad taking me to #ASA races in the 70’s as Dick Trickle drove the SuperAmerica “White Knight” 99 to many victories #RIP / Favorite quote from Dick Trickle @SlingerSpeedway & I asked him about returning to WI “I always remember where my rootses is.” #classic #RIP
- Chris Jenkins (@ByChrisJenkins, ex-AP): Once heard Dick Trickle say, “Only two things were big in Wisconsin in the 1970s: The Green Bay Packers and Dick Trickle.” #RIP
- Pete Pistone (@PPistone, Sirius XM): My fondest memories of the Slinger Nationals back when it was held on Tuesday night and was really a big deal was just talking with Trickle. He’d always take time from working on the car in the pits to talk with me and my dad – same at Madison and Rockford too back in the day
- Ryan McGee (@ESPNMcGee, ESPN): Another Dick Trickle story. I asked if Cole from Days of Thunder was his son. “Could be. Some nights back there are fuzzy.”
- Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann, ex-ESPN and MSNBC): Awful news: Dick Trickle is dead ( …) No sports figure Dan + I had fun with took it more graciously. In fact, gratefully.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
Motor City connections are plentiful between the three Ford drivers still standing in the Chase.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The 4-Rings takes to Facebook to dismiss yet another revival of the rumors that it’s going Grand Prix racing in the near-future.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Battle for Truck Series championship becomes three-horse race.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. won his first career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Martinsville Speedway last October. He returned to the short bullring one year later to win there again in Saturday’s Kroger 200.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Stenhouse and Allgaier will start mid-pack on Sunday at Martinsville.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Says first five years in F1 are about surviving, but cannot see the project failing.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Harvick turns in a 19.457-second lap around the Virginia half-mile to top “Happy Hour.”
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
German driver looking forward to tackling the Circuit of The Americas in Austin next weekend.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Despite fighting breast cancer for the third time, NASCAR fan Wendy Smith decided to spend $25 to help others even less fortunate. Her gratuity paid off in a big way, earning a brand new $65,000 Chevrolet Corvette.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Patrick not afraid to tackle thorny topics yesterday at Martinsville.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
On a weekend that carries a lot of significance for honoring NASCAR Hall of Fame-elect inductee Wendell Scott, Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. paid tribute in his own way to Scott, earning the pole for Saturday’s Kroger 200 Camping World Truck Series race.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Former HRT driver casts his damning judgement on the current cost crisis in F1.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
The demise of both Caterham and Marussia has been on the cards for some time, yet Formula 1 has allowed it to happen.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Despite chilly temperatures in the mid-40s in the 50-minute early-morning session, Jimmie Johnson led all drivers in the next-to-last Sprint Cup practice with a best lap of 98.023 mph, the only driver over the 98 mph mark.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Over 400 people attend special event in celebration of Brabham’s life and legacy.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Lotus driver has failed to score any points in 2014, but feels that next season will hold better things.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Yet another record falls to the Spanish sensation in Malaysia.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:48 AM EDT
Bernie Ecclestone claims that there will be just 18 cars racing in Austin.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
In a surprisingly candid admission, six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson says that while nothing is imminent, the day is coming when he and crew chief Chad Knaus will go their separate ways.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
In a bemusing video released Thursday, NASCAR star Kevin Harvick spent one of his recent off nights working the room at an Outback Steakhouse.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1