May 17, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Tweets remembering Dick Trickle, who died Thursday at age 71, poured in throughout the day into the evening. Mostly NASCAR drivers offered reflections, although others from around the racing and media world also shared thoughts on Trickle’s passing.
There’s undoubtedly more on Twitter by searching for “Dick Trickle.” Here’s a sampling:
DRIVERS AND CREW
- David Hobbs (@MrDavidHobbs): How tragic for Dick to take his own life.
- A man who won so many races, in the hundreds, with so many fans. Life is fragile even 4 heroes
- Johnny Sauter (@JohnnySauter): Lost one of the BEST today! Crushed!
- Matt Kenseth (@MattKenseth): So sad to hear about #dicktrickle. Thinking about and praying for his family….
- Mark Martin (@55MarkMartin): Say it’s not so. Sad news about a racing legend. Dick Trickle.
- Andy Lally (@AndyLally): Horrible news. Incredibly sad to hear about Dick Trickle. #RIP
- Landon Cassill (@LandonCassill): Trickle was a legend-When i was 14 we beat doors for 50 laps @ Madison-He gave me the boot w/ 5 to go, offered me a cigarette after the race
- Rusty Wallace (@RustyWallace): Dick Trickle was a friend, a mentor & one of the best drivers ever. Without him, I wouldn’t be where I am now. I will miss him tremendously.
- Kenny Wallace (@Kenny_Wallace): Dick Trickle taught me to be me, He taught me to Justify things my way and said “Kenny keep laughing loud cause that’s who you are”
- Jeff Gordon (@JeffGordonWeb): Sad to hear the news of the passing of Dick Trickle. He was one tough competitor! #RIPDickTrickle
- Joey Logano (@JoeyLogano): Sad to hear of Dick Trickle. At some point we were all short trackers. He was the best. #RIPDickTrickle
- Mike Kelley (@CrewChief6NNS): Trickle was a legend before racers were cool and popular. He kicked your ass and you rememberd it. Then he’d have a beer w you.#RIPTrickle
- Lance Allan (@LanceAllan; NBC WTMJ-TV, Milwaukee): Always remember my Dad taking me to #ASA races in the 70’s as Dick Trickle drove the SuperAmerica “White Knight” 99 to many victories #RIP / Favorite quote from Dick Trickle @SlingerSpeedway & I asked him about returning to WI “I always remember where my rootses is.” #classic #RIP
- Chris Jenkins (@ByChrisJenkins, ex-AP): Once heard Dick Trickle say, “Only two things were big in Wisconsin in the 1970s: The Green Bay Packers and Dick Trickle.” #RIP
- Pete Pistone (@PPistone, Sirius XM): My fondest memories of the Slinger Nationals back when it was held on Tuesday night and was really a big deal was just talking with Trickle. He’d always take time from working on the car in the pits to talk with me and my dad – same at Madison and Rockford too back in the day
- Ryan McGee (@ESPNMcGee, ESPN): Another Dick Trickle story. I asked if Cole from Days of Thunder was his son. “Could be. Some nights back there are fuzzy.”
- Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann, ex-ESPN and MSNBC): Awful news: Dick Trickle is dead ( …) No sports figure Dan + I had fun with took it more graciously. In fact, gratefully.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT
Ricky Taylor, Bill Auberlen secure pole positions for Round 3 of TUDOR Championship season in Long Beach.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Some good banter between Simon Pagenaud and Will Power occurs during post-practice press conference, as the two laugh off their contact here last year.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
Power leads second practice in Long Beach.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Five in a row for the McLaren junior driver as he starts the 2015 season in style.
Apr 17, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Ferrari’s long run pace suggests that Mercedes may not have it all its own way on Sunday.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
More from INDYCAR has been released regarding aero kit updates.
Apr 17, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Red Bull Global Rallycross rolls out a series of announcements for media day, Thursday in Long Beach.
Apr 17, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Scott Dixon on top in opening practice for the Verizon IndyCar Series at Long Beach.
Apr 17, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
A mixed day for both Carlos Sainz Jr and Max Verstappen during practice for the Bahrain Grand Prix.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Williams usually reserves its pace for Saturday, but Valtteri Bottas bucked the trend in Bahrain on Friday.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:36 PM EDT
Briton pleased with Mercedes work following practice for the Bahrain Grand Prix on Friday.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
He’s not the race defending champion, but as the most recent Long Beach winner still in the IndyCar field, Takuma Sato is indeed one to watch this weekend.
Apr 17, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
A busy night for the stewards in Bahrain due to two incidents at the end of FP2 on Friday.
Apr 17, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Rocky Moran Jr. to make IndyCar debut this weekend with Dale Coyne Racing in a last-minute fill-in role for Carlos Huertas.
Apr 17, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Normal service is resumed in FP2 as Mercedes dominates proceedings, but Ferrari proves that it could be in the running for the race win on race day.
Apr 17, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Picking a winner from the Team Penske quartet is always a challenge, but Simon Pagenaud has his best shot yet to break through this weekend.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Max Chilton reflects on his new dual role with Carlin in Indy Lights, and a bit on his Nissan LMP1 role as well.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Can Mercedes strike back in FP2? Or will Ferrari continue to lead the way in Bahrain?
Apr 17, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Finnish driver delighted with how things are going at Maranello in 2015, but says his future is down to the team.
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 0
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2
- F1 Paddock Pass: Bahrain Grand Prix (VIDEO) 1
- 2015 Bahrain Grand Prix Preview 0
- Preview: Anyone’s game as IndyCar heads to historic Long Beach 1