May 17, 2013, 7:00 AM EST
Tweets remembering Dick Trickle, who died Thursday at age 71, poured in throughout the day into the evening. Mostly NASCAR drivers offered reflections, although others from around the racing and media world also shared thoughts on Trickle’s passing.
There’s undoubtedly more on Twitter by searching for “Dick Trickle.” Here’s a sampling:
DRIVERS AND CREW
- David Hobbs (@MrDavidHobbs): How tragic for Dick to take his own life.
- A man who won so many races, in the hundreds, with so many fans. Life is fragile even 4 heroes
- Johnny Sauter (@JohnnySauter): Lost one of the BEST today! Crushed!
- Matt Kenseth (@MattKenseth): So sad to hear about #dicktrickle. Thinking about and praying for his family….
- Mark Martin (@55MarkMartin): Say it’s not so. Sad news about a racing legend. Dick Trickle.
- Andy Lally (@AndyLally): Horrible news. Incredibly sad to hear about Dick Trickle. #RIP
- Landon Cassill (@LandonCassill): Trickle was a legend-When i was 14 we beat doors for 50 laps @ Madison-He gave me the boot w/ 5 to go, offered me a cigarette after the race
- Rusty Wallace (@RustyWallace): Dick Trickle was a friend, a mentor & one of the best drivers ever. Without him, I wouldn’t be where I am now. I will miss him tremendously.
- Kenny Wallace (@Kenny_Wallace): Dick Trickle taught me to be me, He taught me to Justify things my way and said “Kenny keep laughing loud cause that’s who you are”
- Jeff Gordon (@JeffGordonWeb): Sad to hear the news of the passing of Dick Trickle. He was one tough competitor! #RIPDickTrickle
- Joey Logano (@JoeyLogano): Sad to hear of Dick Trickle. At some point we were all short trackers. He was the best. #RIPDickTrickle
- Mike Kelley (@CrewChief6NNS): Trickle was a legend before racers were cool and popular. He kicked your ass and you rememberd it. Then he’d have a beer w you.#RIPTrickle
- Lance Allan (@LanceAllan; NBC WTMJ-TV, Milwaukee): Always remember my Dad taking me to #ASA races in the 70’s as Dick Trickle drove the SuperAmerica “White Knight” 99 to many victories #RIP / Favorite quote from Dick Trickle @SlingerSpeedway & I asked him about returning to WI “I always remember where my rootses is.” #classic #RIP
- Chris Jenkins (@ByChrisJenkins, ex-AP): Once heard Dick Trickle say, “Only two things were big in Wisconsin in the 1970s: The Green Bay Packers and Dick Trickle.” #RIP
- Pete Pistone (@PPistone, Sirius XM): My fondest memories of the Slinger Nationals back when it was held on Tuesday night and was really a big deal was just talking with Trickle. He’d always take time from working on the car in the pits to talk with me and my dad – same at Madison and Rockford too back in the day
- Ryan McGee (@ESPNMcGee, ESPN): Another Dick Trickle story. I asked if Cole from Days of Thunder was his son. “Could be. Some nights back there are fuzzy.”
- Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann, ex-ESPN and MSNBC): Awful news: Dick Trickle is dead ( …) No sports figure Dan + I had fun with took it more graciously. In fact, gratefully.
Feb 1, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
Nissan has its first LMP1 driver named.
Feb 1, 2015, 8:03 PM EST
Say hello to the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO prototype – and one very well-made Super Bowl ad.
Feb 1, 2015, 5:45 PM EST
Dale Jr. tweets: “I’m gonna go Pats just cause Deflategate was damn ridiculous.”
Feb 1, 2015, 4:32 PM EST
IndyCar champ Will Power and teammates Helio Castroneves, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Simon Pagenaud are guests of Verizon for tonight’s Big Game.
Feb 1, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Spanish sensation goes in search of a third straight Moto GP title in 2015.
Feb 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Will Max and Carlos Jr. follow in the footsteps of Jos Verstappen and Carlos Sainz?
Feb 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s 21-race lineup with Nationwide Insurance as primary sponsor has been announced.
Feb 1, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
The late NFL legend helped Target Chip Ganassi Racing during the 2009 IndyCar weekend at Sonoma as part of his “Sports Jobs with Junior Seau” TV show.
Feb 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
German driver completes a mammoth 157 laps on day one in Jerez, suggesting Mercedes’ bid to improve its reliability for 2015 has been a successful one.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:45 PM EST
Ryan Dungey and Cooper Webb both won in Anaheim to retain the points lead in their respective classes.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Engineering changes set for CGR’s IndyCar program in 2015.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
Manion has won the Daytona 500, Brickyard 400, and two Xfinity Series championships as a crew chief during his career.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Australian driver enjoys a solid first day of testing in Jerez, completing more laps than the team managed in four days at last year’s opening test.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
New car only arrived in Spain on Sunday evening after being fired up in the factory on Saturday.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
McLaren CEO confirms that there will be a change in design at some point this year, but refuses to say when.
Feb 1, 2015, 11:05 AM EST
German driver makes a good start to life with Ferrari, but it is Mercedes who puts in the performance of the day with an incredible 157 laps completed.
Feb 1, 2015, 10:45 AM EST
German driver wants to avoid a repeat of his last race defeat to Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in 2014.
Feb 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
After storming to third place in the constructors’ championship in 2014, Williams must now consolidate its rise and push for race wins.
Feb 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
As the post-Vettel era begins at Red Bull, Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat prepare to step up to the plate.
Feb 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Technical chief Paddy Lowe working on improved reliability in 2015 after some issues last season.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 4
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0