May 17, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Tweets remembering Dick Trickle, who died Thursday at age 71, poured in throughout the day into the evening. Mostly NASCAR drivers offered reflections, although others from around the racing and media world also shared thoughts on Trickle’s passing.
There’s undoubtedly more on Twitter by searching for “Dick Trickle.” Here’s a sampling:
DRIVERS AND CREW
- David Hobbs (@MrDavidHobbs): How tragic for Dick to take his own life.
- A man who won so many races, in the hundreds, with so many fans. Life is fragile even 4 heroes
- Johnny Sauter (@JohnnySauter): Lost one of the BEST today! Crushed!
- Matt Kenseth (@MattKenseth): So sad to hear about #dicktrickle. Thinking about and praying for his family….
- Mark Martin (@55MarkMartin): Say it’s not so. Sad news about a racing legend. Dick Trickle.
- Andy Lally (@AndyLally): Horrible news. Incredibly sad to hear about Dick Trickle. #RIP
- Landon Cassill (@LandonCassill): Trickle was a legend-When i was 14 we beat doors for 50 laps @ Madison-He gave me the boot w/ 5 to go, offered me a cigarette after the race
- Rusty Wallace (@RustyWallace): Dick Trickle was a friend, a mentor & one of the best drivers ever. Without him, I wouldn’t be where I am now. I will miss him tremendously.
- Kenny Wallace (@Kenny_Wallace): Dick Trickle taught me to be me, He taught me to Justify things my way and said “Kenny keep laughing loud cause that’s who you are”
- Jeff Gordon (@JeffGordonWeb): Sad to hear the news of the passing of Dick Trickle. He was one tough competitor! #RIPDickTrickle
- Joey Logano (@JoeyLogano): Sad to hear of Dick Trickle. At some point we were all short trackers. He was the best. #RIPDickTrickle
- Mike Kelley (@CrewChief6NNS): Trickle was a legend before racers were cool and popular. He kicked your ass and you rememberd it. Then he’d have a beer w you.#RIPTrickle
- Lance Allan (@LanceAllan; NBC WTMJ-TV, Milwaukee): Always remember my Dad taking me to #ASA races in the 70’s as Dick Trickle drove the SuperAmerica “White Knight” 99 to many victories #RIP / Favorite quote from Dick Trickle @SlingerSpeedway & I asked him about returning to WI “I always remember where my rootses is.” #classic #RIP
- Chris Jenkins (@ByChrisJenkins, ex-AP): Once heard Dick Trickle say, “Only two things were big in Wisconsin in the 1970s: The Green Bay Packers and Dick Trickle.” #RIP
- Pete Pistone (@PPistone, Sirius XM): My fondest memories of the Slinger Nationals back when it was held on Tuesday night and was really a big deal was just talking with Trickle. He’d always take time from working on the car in the pits to talk with me and my dad – same at Madison and Rockford too back in the day
- Ryan McGee (@ESPNMcGee, ESPN): Another Dick Trickle story. I asked if Cole from Days of Thunder was his son. “Could be. Some nights back there are fuzzy.”
- Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann, ex-ESPN and MSNBC): Awful news: Dick Trickle is dead ( …) No sports figure Dan + I had fun with took it more graciously. In fact, gratefully.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Leading 1-2 early, Williams was almost trapped, rather than able to seize its moment in Silverstone.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
A gamble on intermediate tires backfires for Kimi Raikkonen at Silverstone.
Race Recap: Hamilton sees off early Williams threat and late rain shower to claim third home victory
Jul 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The British driver sends the home crowd into raptures with his third Silverstone victory.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
After the latest Red Bull GRC round, we catch up with NBC Sports Group motorsports analyst Townsend Bell for a special Red Bull GRC installment of “Ten with Townsend.”
Jul 6, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Luke Smith gets a little patriotic following his home grand prix, explaining why F1 could stand to be a little more British in its mentality.
NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win
Jul 5, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Doug Kalitta (Top Fuel), Jack Beckman (Funny Car), Greg Anderson (Pro Stock) and Karen Stoffer (Pro Stock Motorcycle) took home wins in Sunday’s NHRA race in Norwalk, Ohio.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Block wins at MCAS New River, Round 4 of the Red Bull GRC season.
Jul 5, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Before NASCAR resumes on NBC from Daytona, see Red Bull GRC pick up its season from its first race after Daytona, at MCAS New River.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
Will Buxton brings you all of the post-race interviews and analysis at Silverstone.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Roberto Merhi and Will Stevens finish 12th and 13th at Manor’s home race.
Jul 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Brazilian driver forced to settle for fourth place at Silverstone on Sunday.
Jul 5, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Issue on the Renault power unit forces Ricciardo out of the race at Silverstone.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Could today have marked Valtteri Bottas’ first victory in Formula 1?
Jul 5, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
A late rain shower allows Vettel to claim Ferrari’s first podium finish since the Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
After a poor start, Rosberg fights his way to second place at Silverstone, but slips further behind Hamilton in the drivers’ championship.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Hamilton won his home grand prix for the third time on Sunday after seeing off a spirited challenge from Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg and both Williams drivers.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Hamilton beats the weather and the field to record his third victory at Silverstone.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Rossi charges to fourth place in spite of a time penalty.
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 0
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 1
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 2