May 17, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Tweets remembering Dick Trickle, who died Thursday at age 71, poured in throughout the day into the evening. Mostly NASCAR drivers offered reflections, although others from around the racing and media world also shared thoughts on Trickle’s passing.
There’s undoubtedly more on Twitter by searching for “Dick Trickle.” Here’s a sampling:
DRIVERS AND CREW
- David Hobbs (@MrDavidHobbs): How tragic for Dick to take his own life.
- A man who won so many races, in the hundreds, with so many fans. Life is fragile even 4 heroes
- Johnny Sauter (@JohnnySauter): Lost one of the BEST today! Crushed!
- Matt Kenseth (@MattKenseth): So sad to hear about #dicktrickle. Thinking about and praying for his family….
- Mark Martin (@55MarkMartin): Say it’s not so. Sad news about a racing legend. Dick Trickle.
- Andy Lally (@AndyLally): Horrible news. Incredibly sad to hear about Dick Trickle. #RIP
- Landon Cassill (@LandonCassill): Trickle was a legend-When i was 14 we beat doors for 50 laps @ Madison-He gave me the boot w/ 5 to go, offered me a cigarette after the race
- Rusty Wallace (@RustyWallace): Dick Trickle was a friend, a mentor & one of the best drivers ever. Without him, I wouldn’t be where I am now. I will miss him tremendously.
- Kenny Wallace (@Kenny_Wallace): Dick Trickle taught me to be me, He taught me to Justify things my way and said “Kenny keep laughing loud cause that’s who you are”
- Jeff Gordon (@JeffGordonWeb): Sad to hear the news of the passing of Dick Trickle. He was one tough competitor! #RIPDickTrickle
- Joey Logano (@JoeyLogano): Sad to hear of Dick Trickle. At some point we were all short trackers. He was the best. #RIPDickTrickle
- Mike Kelley (@CrewChief6NNS): Trickle was a legend before racers were cool and popular. He kicked your ass and you rememberd it. Then he’d have a beer w you.#RIPTrickle
- Lance Allan (@LanceAllan; NBC WTMJ-TV, Milwaukee): Always remember my Dad taking me to #ASA races in the 70’s as Dick Trickle drove the SuperAmerica “White Knight” 99 to many victories #RIP / Favorite quote from Dick Trickle @SlingerSpeedway & I asked him about returning to WI “I always remember where my rootses is.” #classic #RIP
- Chris Jenkins (@ByChrisJenkins, ex-AP): Once heard Dick Trickle say, “Only two things were big in Wisconsin in the 1970s: The Green Bay Packers and Dick Trickle.” #RIP
- Pete Pistone (@PPistone, Sirius XM): My fondest memories of the Slinger Nationals back when it was held on Tuesday night and was really a big deal was just talking with Trickle. He’d always take time from working on the car in the pits to talk with me and my dad – same at Madison and Rockford too back in the day
- Ryan McGee (@ESPNMcGee, ESPN): Another Dick Trickle story. I asked if Cole from Days of Thunder was his son. “Could be. Some nights back there are fuzzy.”
- Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann, ex-ESPN and MSNBC): Awful news: Dick Trickle is dead ( …) No sports figure Dan + I had fun with took it more graciously. In fact, gratefully.
Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage plans to talk with IndyCar about potential changes to cars
May 23, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Airborne crashes would be a concern at high-speed 1.5-mile oval.
May 23, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas limped to their worst qualifying results of the season in Monaco.
May 23, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Team Penske credits an oval-whelming improvement during his 2014 championship season.
May 23, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Hinchcliffe, in a hospital gown, up and walking, in utterly fantastic news.
May 23, 2015, 9:34 AM EDT
Despite having 42 pole positions to his name before today, Lewis Hamilton had never had one in Monaco – until now, that is.
May 23, 2015, 6:04 AM EDT
Vettel storms to P1, throwing Ferrari’s hat into the ring for pole position later today.
May 23, 2015, 4:45 AM EDT
After Thursday’s washout, FP3 becomes all the more important in Monaco.
May 22, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Tristan Vautier recaps a roller coaster month of May, where he’ll have a last-minute opportunity to race in the Indianapolis 500 with Dale Coyne Racing.
May 22, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
A third straight feature race win for Stoffel Vandoorne sees him extend his lead at the top of the drivers’ championship.
May 22, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Harvey scores the win in Indy Lights’ biggest race of the year.
May 22, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Force India’s deputy team principal lashes out at the F1 Strategy Group, calls for a return to autocratic rule by the FIA and the F1 Group.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Bids to supply tires to F1 upon the next change to the technical regulations now being taken.
May 22, 2015, 12:06 PM EDT
Notes as they develop from the ground in Indianapolis for Carb Day for the 99th Indianapolis 500.
May 22, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bianchi remains in a coma in French hospital after sustaining severe head injuries at the Japanese Grand Prix last October.
May 22, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT
The team owner would like the season’s calendar expanded.
May 22, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Watch Carb Day IndyCar and Indy Lights coverage, from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, at 11 a.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
- Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage plans to talk with IndyCar about potential changes to cars 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 0
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 4
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0