May 18, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Jenson Button is hopeful that McLaren can make some progress at next weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix after a disappointing start to the season.
The 2009 world champion has recorded a best finish of 5th at the Chinese Grand Prix in 2013, with the pace of the McLaren MP4-28 preventing him and teammate Sergio Perez from challenging the front runners so far this season. However, he is confident that some progress can be made in Monaco.
“Everyone at McLaren has been working flat-out since the Spanish Grand Prix,” Button said in a team statement. “We’re not yet where we want to be in terms of competitiveness, but I’m confident that we can make another small step forward in Monaco.”
The team brought a comprehensive upgrade package to the race in Spain, but it failed to produce a significant improvement in pace as Button and Perez finished 8th and 9th respectively. However, a repeat performance would suit Button as the team looks to overtake Force India in the constructors’ championship.
“We’ll continue to chip away at the performance of the MP4-28 until it’s capable of challenging at the front; there’s no other agenda for a winning team like McLaren. The aim for Monaco is to get both cars home in the points, as we did in Barcelona.”
Although the result in Spain was by no means spectacular, the performance was solid, and Sergio Perez did run as high as P5 at one point. He may not be in a position to win for a second time at Monaco, but Button could challenge the front runners if the streets of Monaco catch a few drivers out.
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 0
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0
- NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals 2
- The Equalization Conundrum: Should F1 put sport to one side in favor of ‘the show’? 5
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2