May 18, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
This year’s Indianapolis 500 isn’t the first time IZOD IndyCar Series driver Graham Rahal has teamed up with his father, 1986 Indy winner Bobby Rahal, to take on “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.” In 2010, Graham finished 12th for the Rahal Letterman Lanigan team at Indy.
But 2013 will mark the first “500” for Graham as a full-time driver for the family team, and both father and son believe that it was important for Graham to get experience driving for other squads before he “returned home,” so to speak.
“I think it was important for Graham as a person, you know, to go out and see what the rest of the world, how they go about it,” Bobby said on Friday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “He was very fortunate to be with great teams.”
Graham started his IZOD IndyCar Series career with Newman-Haas Racing, but when sponsorship couldn’t be found to keep him there, he was forced to drive for multiple squads in 2010 before landing at Chip Ganassi Racing for what would be a two-year run.
When his time with Ganassi came to a close, the second-generation racer decided this off-season that the competitive RLL team was now the right place for him.
“It was right to go out and be with the other operations that I drove for, but at the same time it’s best that we’re here,” Graham said. “I think for…everybody within this team, you have to look at what’s best for each and every one of us.
“As I talked to a lot of different teams last fall, it just became clearly apparent to me that this is where I wanted to be and this is where I needed to be to further my career, to have the success that I want to have, and the dedication to our program.”
Rahal has qualified this afternoon for the “500,” posting a four-lap average of 225.139 miles per hour in his No. 15 RLL Honda.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 1
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0