May 18, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
With rain delaying the start of Indianapolis 500 Pole Day time trials, INDYCAR Race Director Beaux Barfield told NBC Sports Network’s Kevin Lee that the qualifying format for today will be altered.
Single-car qualifying has now been extended to 6 p.m. ET. Following a 30-minute break, the top nine qualifiers will be inverted for the Fast Nine shootout for the pole position at 6:30 p.m. ET. All cars in the Fast Nine will have one single qualifying attempt.
Scott Dixon (pictured) was the first to qualify for the race this afternoon, taking the green flag for his four-lap run at 1:29 p.m. ET and posting an average of 226.158 miles per hour.
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)