May 18, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
With rain delaying the start of Indianapolis 500 Pole Day time trials, INDYCAR Race Director Beaux Barfield told NBC Sports Network’s Kevin Lee that the qualifying format for today will be altered.
Single-car qualifying has now been extended to 6 p.m. ET. Following a 30-minute break, the top nine qualifiers will be inverted for the Fast Nine shootout for the pole position at 6:30 p.m. ET. All cars in the Fast Nine will have one single qualifying attempt.
Scott Dixon (pictured) was the first to qualify for the race this afternoon, taking the green flag for his four-lap run at 1:29 p.m. ET and posting an average of 226.158 miles per hour.
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1