May 18, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
With rain delaying the start of Indianapolis 500 Pole Day time trials, INDYCAR Race Director Beaux Barfield told NBC Sports Network’s Kevin Lee that the qualifying format for today will be altered.
Single-car qualifying has now been extended to 6 p.m. ET. Following a 30-minute break, the top nine qualifiers will be inverted for the Fast Nine shootout for the pole position at 6:30 p.m. ET. All cars in the Fast Nine will have one single qualifying attempt.
Scott Dixon (pictured) was the first to qualify for the race this afternoon, taking the green flag for his four-lap run at 1:29 p.m. ET and posting an average of 226.158 miles per hour.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 49
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2