May 18, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
With rain delaying the start of Indianapolis 500 Pole Day time trials, INDYCAR Race Director Beaux Barfield told NBC Sports Network’s Kevin Lee that the qualifying format for today will be altered.
Single-car qualifying has now been extended to 6 p.m. ET. Following a 30-minute break, the top nine qualifiers will be inverted for the Fast Nine shootout for the pole position at 6:30 p.m. ET. All cars in the Fast Nine will have one single qualifying attempt.
Scott Dixon (pictured) was the first to qualify for the race this afternoon, taking the green flag for his four-lap run at 1:29 p.m. ET and posting an average of 226.158 miles per hour.
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 0
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 1
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0