May 18, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
With one hour to go in Pole Day qualifying for the 97th Indianapolis 500, the battle to get into the Top 24 positions (which will be locked in at 6 p.m. ET) is starting to heat up.
Oriol Servia (pictured) bumped Ryan Briscoe out of the Top 24 during the previous hour, posting a strong four-lap average of 226.814 miles per hour to force last year’s “500” polesitter out of the provisional field.
Briscoe then decided to go back out for his second of three available qualifying attempts with his No. 8 Chip Ganassi Racing Honda, but after two laps in the low 225 mph range — a minimal improvement from his scratched first attempt — the team chose to wave it off.
That led to the second attempt from James Jakes, who had his previous qualifying run disqualified after a post-qualifying inspection revealed his car to be underweight. The British driver came through with a four-lap average of 225.153 miles per hour, which was just enough to bump Rahal Letterman Lanigan teammate Graham Rahal from the grid and take over the 24th position.
With one hour to go, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is currently in practice mode…For now.
Pole Day Results (5 p.m. ET — Top 24)
1. 12-Will Power, 228.844 mph
2. 1-Ryan Hunter-Reay, 228.282
3. 26-Carlos Munoz, 228.171
4. 3- Helio Castroneves, 227.975
5. 20-Ed Carpenter, 227.952
6. 25-Marco Andretti, 227.893
7. 2-A.J. Allmendinger, 227.761
8. 5-E.J. Viso, 227.612
9. 27-James Hinchcliffe, 227.493
10. 4-J.R. Hildebrand, 227.441
11. 98-Alex Tagliani, 227.386
12. 11-Tony Kanaan, 226.949
13. 22-Oriol Servia, 226.814
14. 19-Justin Wilson, 226.370
15. 7-Sebastien Bourdais, 226.196
16. 9-Scott Dixon, 226.158
17. 10-Dario Franchitti, 226.069
18. 14-Takuma Sato, 225.892
19. 83-Charlie Kimball, 225.880
20. 60-Townsend Bell, 225.699
21. 77-Simon Pagenaud, 225.674
22. 78-Simona de Silvestro, 225.400
23. 21-Josef Newgarden, 225.210
24. 16-James Jakes, 225.153
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3