May 18, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
With one hour to go in Pole Day qualifying for the 97th Indianapolis 500, the battle to get into the Top 24 positions (which will be locked in at 6 p.m. ET) is starting to heat up.
Oriol Servia (pictured) bumped Ryan Briscoe out of the Top 24 during the previous hour, posting a strong four-lap average of 226.814 miles per hour to force last year’s “500” polesitter out of the provisional field.
Briscoe then decided to go back out for his second of three available qualifying attempts with his No. 8 Chip Ganassi Racing Honda, but after two laps in the low 225 mph range — a minimal improvement from his scratched first attempt — the team chose to wave it off.
That led to the second attempt from James Jakes, who had his previous qualifying run disqualified after a post-qualifying inspection revealed his car to be underweight. The British driver came through with a four-lap average of 225.153 miles per hour, which was just enough to bump Rahal Letterman Lanigan teammate Graham Rahal from the grid and take over the 24th position.
With one hour to go, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is currently in practice mode…For now.
Pole Day Results (5 p.m. ET — Top 24)
1. 12-Will Power, 228.844 mph
2. 1-Ryan Hunter-Reay, 228.282
3. 26-Carlos Munoz, 228.171
4. 3- Helio Castroneves, 227.975
5. 20-Ed Carpenter, 227.952
6. 25-Marco Andretti, 227.893
7. 2-A.J. Allmendinger, 227.761
8. 5-E.J. Viso, 227.612
9. 27-James Hinchcliffe, 227.493
10. 4-J.R. Hildebrand, 227.441
11. 98-Alex Tagliani, 227.386
12. 11-Tony Kanaan, 226.949
13. 22-Oriol Servia, 226.814
14. 19-Justin Wilson, 226.370
15. 7-Sebastien Bourdais, 226.196
16. 9-Scott Dixon, 226.158
17. 10-Dario Franchitti, 226.069
18. 14-Takuma Sato, 225.892
19. 83-Charlie Kimball, 225.880
20. 60-Townsend Bell, 225.699
21. 77-Simon Pagenaud, 225.674
22. 78-Simona de Silvestro, 225.400
23. 21-Josef Newgarden, 225.210
24. 16-James Jakes, 225.153
Aug 2, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Montoyas 42-point lead over Rahal all but disappears in one race.
Aug 2, 2015, 5:56 PM EDT
Sage Karam in the crosshairs again after controversial Lap 66 spin at Mid-Ohio.
Aug 2, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
Wilson earns first podium finish since Houston in 2013.
Aug 2, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
Quick thinking from Rahal’s strategists allows the Ohio native to storm to his second win of the 2015 season and slice the gap to Montoya in the championship race.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
Castroneves led at halfway due to off-setting pit strategy.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Alex Lynn has made an impression during his rookie GP2 season, but can he make the step up to F1 in 2016?
Aug 2, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
McLaren’s CEO feels the reasons behind limiting in-season testing offer a “false economy”.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Watch live from Mid-Ohio ahead of the 14th round of the Verizon IndyCar Series season.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Latvala wins on home soil for the second time in the WRC with a record-breaking display.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Big drama in second Indy Lights race of the weekend at Mid-Ohio.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
What to watch for ahead of Round 14 of the Verizon IndyCar Series season, the Honda Indy 200 from the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Hunter-Reay finishes on top ahead of Helio Castroneves and Jack Hawksworth despite crashing his car.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
The Italian Grand Prix looks set to remain at Monza beyond 2016 thanks to a tax-free investment from the Italian government.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Mazda Road to Indy and Pirelli World Challenge race updates from Mid-Ohio as they happen on one of the busiest road racing days of the year.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:48 PM EDT
Enerson finally breaks through for overdue first Indy Lights win.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Mercedes F1 reserve driver finishes second at the Red Bull Ring to move into the lead of the DTM championship.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:46 PM EDT
In his third career start in the ARCA Racing Series, Cole Custer breezed to victory in Saturday’s ModSpace 125 at Pocono Raceway.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
Dixon blisters previous mark for the track record at Mid-Ohio.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
At 17, Verstappen is still too young to get a road driver’s licence in Belgium.
Aug 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Stefan Johansson, a veteran of over 100 F1 starts, argues the case of customer cars in F1.
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 0
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 0
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 1
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out 0
- Cole Custer sails to first career ARCA win at Pocono, 9th first-time winner in series in 2015 0