May 18, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Will Power’s four-lap average of 228.844 miles per hour is still on top of the Pole Day charts at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but the Andretti Autosport armada is making its presence felt as well.
In the previous hour, defending IZOD IndyCar Series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay and Colombian rookie Carlos Munoz posted averages good enough to slide into the middle and outside of the front row provisionally. Hunter-Reay averaged 228.282 in his No. 1 DHL/Sun Drop Chevrolet, while Munoz put up an average of 228.171 in his No. 26 Unistraw Chevrolet.
The qualifying run of James Jakes was thrown out by INDYCAR after a post-qualifying technical inspection revealed the car to be half a pound under weight. Jakes had posted an average of 225.397 mph, but will now have to re-qualify his No. 16 Acorn Stairlifts Honda for Rahal Letterman Racing.
The first 24 positions on the grid have been filled and there is currently bumping going on at the moment. The final nine spots will be locked in tomorrow in Bump Day activities.
Single-car qualifying will go until 6 p.m. ET, with the Fast Nine shootout going off at 6:30 p.m. ET.
Pole Day Results (4 p.m. ET — Top 24)
1. 12-Will Power, 228.844 mph
2. 1-Ryan Hunter-Reay, 228.282
3. 26-Carlos Munoz, 228.171
4. 3- Helio Castroneves, 227.975
5. 20-Ed Carpenter, 227.952
6. 25-Marco Andretti, 227.893
7. 2-A.J. Allmendinger, 227.761
8. 5-E.J. Viso, 227.612
9. 27-James Hinchcliffe, 227.493
10. 4-J.R. Hildebrand, 227.441
11. 98-Alex Tagliani, 227.386
12. 11-Tony Kanaan, 226.949
13. 19-Justin Wilson, 226.370
14. 7-Sebastien Bourdais, 226.196
15. 9-Scott Dixon, 226.158
16. 10-Dario Franchitti, 226.069
17. 14-Takuma Sato, 225.892
18. 83-Charlie Kimball, 225.880
19. 60-Townsend Bell, 225.699
20. 77-Simon Pagenaud, 225.674
21. 78-Simona de Silvestro, 225.400
22. 21-Josef Newgarden, 225.210
23. 15-Graham Rahal, 225.139
24. 8-Ryan Briscoe, 225.043
Sep 29, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
NBCSN’s Marty Snider has more from Stewart’s press conference today in North Carolina.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Instead of racing to protect his position in the Chase, Jeff Gordon went into attack mode Sunday at Dover – and it paid off with a win. Check out his Victory Lane interview with NASCAR AMERICA’s Kelli Stavast here.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
All the notes and numbers to keep in mind as the Contender Round begins on Kansas’ 1.5-mile oval.
Sep 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Coming up: Highlights from the first cut race of the Chase; reports on Kevin Harvick’s tire failure and Hendrick Motorsports; Tony Stewart speaks about trying to carry on after his involvement in a fatal sprint car accident.
Sep 29, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Josef Newgarden ends P13 in 2014, after a year where an overall top-10 finish was possible.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
A nice display of sportsmanship after a tough day at the Monster Mile.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
It was a tough year for James Hinchcliffe, who ended P12 in the IndyCar points.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
Hamilton hopes to join the list of famous names that have won at Suzuka, while Rosberg turns the page on his disappointing Singapore Grand Prix.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Briscoe’s return to IndyCar was quiet, clean and productive.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Simon Pagenaud leaves the past behind, and readies for Team Penske opportunity.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Lack of bonus points notwithstanding, Logano’s pleased about where he and his No. 22 Team Penske crew stand going into the next round of the Chase.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The latest young drivers to earn Team USA Scholarship are named.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Also: Tony Stewart opens up; IndyCar’s Simon Pagenaud jumps to Team Penske; and the stage is set for a wild season finale in Red Bull Global Rallycross.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
P14 for Tony Stewart at Dover felt like one of his better runs of the season, he explained Monday.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Tony Stewart addresses the questions, and faces the media, in Charlotte.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Pagenaud to Penske means IndyCar’s “big three” now have 12 cars between them – four apiece.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
Simon Pagenaud makes it official: he’s driving for Team Penske in 2015.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Gabby Chaves (pictured) and Rodolfo Gonzalez set for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports IndyCar tests.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
8Star Motorsports commits to Indy Lights with first car order placed.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 10
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 43
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2