May 18, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Will Power’s four-lap average of 228.844 miles per hour is still on top of the Pole Day charts at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but the Andretti Autosport armada is making its presence felt as well.
In the previous hour, defending IZOD IndyCar Series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay and Colombian rookie Carlos Munoz posted averages good enough to slide into the middle and outside of the front row provisionally. Hunter-Reay averaged 228.282 in his No. 1 DHL/Sun Drop Chevrolet, while Munoz put up an average of 228.171 in his No. 26 Unistraw Chevrolet.
The qualifying run of James Jakes was thrown out by INDYCAR after a post-qualifying technical inspection revealed the car to be half a pound under weight. Jakes had posted an average of 225.397 mph, but will now have to re-qualify his No. 16 Acorn Stairlifts Honda for Rahal Letterman Racing.
The first 24 positions on the grid have been filled and there is currently bumping going on at the moment. The final nine spots will be locked in tomorrow in Bump Day activities.
Single-car qualifying will go until 6 p.m. ET, with the Fast Nine shootout going off at 6:30 p.m. ET.
Pole Day Results (4 p.m. ET — Top 24)
1. 12-Will Power, 228.844 mph
2. 1-Ryan Hunter-Reay, 228.282
3. 26-Carlos Munoz, 228.171
4. 3- Helio Castroneves, 227.975
5. 20-Ed Carpenter, 227.952
6. 25-Marco Andretti, 227.893
7. 2-A.J. Allmendinger, 227.761
8. 5-E.J. Viso, 227.612
9. 27-James Hinchcliffe, 227.493
10. 4-J.R. Hildebrand, 227.441
11. 98-Alex Tagliani, 227.386
12. 11-Tony Kanaan, 226.949
13. 19-Justin Wilson, 226.370
14. 7-Sebastien Bourdais, 226.196
15. 9-Scott Dixon, 226.158
16. 10-Dario Franchitti, 226.069
17. 14-Takuma Sato, 225.892
18. 83-Charlie Kimball, 225.880
19. 60-Townsend Bell, 225.699
20. 77-Simon Pagenaud, 225.674
21. 78-Simona de Silvestro, 225.400
22. 21-Josef Newgarden, 225.210
23. 15-Graham Rahal, 225.139
24. 8-Ryan Briscoe, 225.043
McLaren seeks big improvements in Barcelona after challenging tests, progression in first four races
May 6, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
McLaren looks for more in Barcelona.
May 6, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
Monaco gets a tune-up weekend with FIA Formula E this weekend, and most of the field has past track experience.
May 6, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
The NHRA said Wednesday that the Kansas Nationals will go on as scheduled, May 22-24, despite the Topeka City Council voting Tuesday against the purchase of Heartland Park Topeka.
May 6, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Update to various engines for manufacturer points.
May 6, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Same brew. New livery.
May 6, 2015, 12:37 PM EDT
Stefano Coletti returns to a track he won at nearly a decade ago, a rare track he knows in his rookie IndyCar season.
May 6, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Carlos Huertas set for return at Dale Coyne Racing for this weekend’s Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis.
May 6, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
After a decent start on pace, Simon Pagenaud looks for results to match to kick off the month of May.
May 6, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
McLaren’s new darker graphite grey livery is unveiled.
May 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
MotorSportsTalk’s Tony DiZinno speaks to Indianapolis Motor Speedway president J. Douglas Boles for an overview on the present plans and the future outlook as IMS rolls into the 2015 Month of May and ahead into 2016.
May 6, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Fast facts heading into this weekend’s Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis, courtesy of IndyCar PR staff.
May 5, 2015, 9:31 PM EDT
If it has four wheels, Bryan Clauson has likely raced it in his career.
May 5, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Without a full-time ride for this season, Justin Wilson is happy to be back in a race car and to have a ride for at least the next two races.
May 5, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
Helio Castroneves hopes to enjoy the appetizer this weekend and then sink his teeth into the main course two weeks later.
May 5, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
AJ Foyt’s No. 48 Honda-powered Dallara will have history written all over it in this year’s Indianapolis 500.
May 5, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
At a time when many people would be embracing retirement, legendary NHRA drag racer John Force just keeps motoring along.
May 4, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
Road America invests millions into some track upgrades for 2015.
May 4, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
Nastia Liukin named grand marshal for this year’s Indianapolis 500.
May 4, 2015, 1:33 PM EDT
Videos from the debut of the new Ligier JS P2 Hondas for Tequila Patron ESM at Spa-Francorchamps this weekend.
May 4, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
Mann gets back to work behind the wheel and has a very good first day of running at IMS.
- NHRA to go ahead with Topeka race May 22-24, despite City Council vote against racetrack purchase 1
- New McLaren Honda livery revealed 1
- Q&A: IMS President Doug Boles heading into 2015 Month of May, 2016 planning 0
- Indiana native Bryan Clauson ready for special Indy 500 return 5
- On eve of 300th IndyCar start, Helio Castroneves eyes record-tying fourth Indy 500 win 3
- Alex Tagliani to drive 3rd AJ Foyt car in Indy 500, will pay tribute to Dan Gurney 3
- NHRA legend John Force turns 66, not slowing down any time soon 2