May 18, 2013, 4:10 PM EST
Will Power’s four-lap average of 228.844 miles per hour is still on top of the Pole Day charts at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but the Andretti Autosport armada is making its presence felt as well.
In the previous hour, defending IZOD IndyCar Series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay and Colombian rookie Carlos Munoz posted averages good enough to slide into the middle and outside of the front row provisionally. Hunter-Reay averaged 228.282 in his No. 1 DHL/Sun Drop Chevrolet, while Munoz put up an average of 228.171 in his No. 26 Unistraw Chevrolet.
The qualifying run of James Jakes was thrown out by INDYCAR after a post-qualifying technical inspection revealed the car to be half a pound under weight. Jakes had posted an average of 225.397 mph, but will now have to re-qualify his No. 16 Acorn Stairlifts Honda for Rahal Letterman Racing.
The first 24 positions on the grid have been filled and there is currently bumping going on at the moment. The final nine spots will be locked in tomorrow in Bump Day activities.
Single-car qualifying will go until 6 p.m. ET, with the Fast Nine shootout going off at 6:30 p.m. ET.
Pole Day Results (4 p.m. ET — Top 24)
1. 12-Will Power, 228.844 mph
2. 1-Ryan Hunter-Reay, 228.282
3. 26-Carlos Munoz, 228.171
4. 3- Helio Castroneves, 227.975
5. 20-Ed Carpenter, 227.952
6. 25-Marco Andretti, 227.893
7. 2-A.J. Allmendinger, 227.761
8. 5-E.J. Viso, 227.612
9. 27-James Hinchcliffe, 227.493
10. 4-J.R. Hildebrand, 227.441
11. 98-Alex Tagliani, 227.386
12. 11-Tony Kanaan, 226.949
13. 19-Justin Wilson, 226.370
14. 7-Sebastien Bourdais, 226.196
15. 9-Scott Dixon, 226.158
16. 10-Dario Franchitti, 226.069
17. 14-Takuma Sato, 225.892
18. 83-Charlie Kimball, 225.880
19. 60-Townsend Bell, 225.699
20. 77-Simon Pagenaud, 225.674
21. 78-Simona de Silvestro, 225.400
22. 21-Josef Newgarden, 225.210
23. 15-Graham Rahal, 225.139
24. 8-Ryan Briscoe, 225.043
Nov 24, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
The future NASCAR on NBC analyst talks about how Rick Hendrick and his partnerships with Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. have impacted his life.
Nov 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Dillon will run the No. 33 Chevrolet in the XFINITY Series in addition to continuing his full-time duties in Sprint Cup.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:49 PM EST
The former F1 racer won two Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos, but he’s about to see the legendary track in a whole new light.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EST
Next season, the campaign will serve as primary sponsor for Aric Almirola’s No. 43 at Atlanta in March and Darlington in May.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
The nine-time World Rally Champion is now a full-time touring car racer, but will help kick off the 2015 WRC campaign for Citroen.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Hunter-Reay’s face on the Borg-Warner Trophy set for December 3 reveal.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
IndyCar gets in on the Odell Beckham Jr. meme game, and it’s a good one.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Patrick Dempsey presenting and Brantley Gilbert winning makes for two racing tie-ins in a music show.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
Hammer Time in Abu Dhabi; Bird was the word for Formula E in Malaysia; a look at the NASCAR beat…
Nov 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
Lineups set for this week’s Abu Dhabi test.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:09 AM EST
Jordan and Ricky Taylor drop their latest.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Frances busy with charitable efforts during and after the NASCAR season.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Danica Patrick will be in another GoDaddy ad, with an intriguing guest star.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Felipe Massa and Sergio Perez the only drivers to benefit from double points in Abu Dhabi.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
However, simply getting to the race must go down as an achievement for the backmarkers.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:13 AM EST
Mattiacci out, Arrivabene in as Ferrari team principal.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Gutierrez finishes as the lead Sauber in a lowly 15th place on Sunday.
Nov 23, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
The world of motorsports — particularly NASCAR and NHRA — is mourning arguably the best public relations person it has ever seen, Denny Darnell, who passed away Saturday.
Nov 23, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
The Charlotte and Texas brawls from this year’s Chase are still resonating weeks after they occurred.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:17 PM EST
Marcos Ambrose is wasting little time in his return to racing V8 Supercars in his native Australia.
Video from NASCAR America
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 2
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 10
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0