May 18, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Will Power’s four-lap average of 228.844 miles per hour is still on top of the Pole Day charts at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but the Andretti Autosport armada is making its presence felt as well.
In the previous hour, defending IZOD IndyCar Series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay and Colombian rookie Carlos Munoz posted averages good enough to slide into the middle and outside of the front row provisionally. Hunter-Reay averaged 228.282 in his No. 1 DHL/Sun Drop Chevrolet, while Munoz put up an average of 228.171 in his No. 26 Unistraw Chevrolet.
The qualifying run of James Jakes was thrown out by INDYCAR after a post-qualifying technical inspection revealed the car to be half a pound under weight. Jakes had posted an average of 225.397 mph, but will now have to re-qualify his No. 16 Acorn Stairlifts Honda for Rahal Letterman Racing.
The first 24 positions on the grid have been filled and there is currently bumping going on at the moment. The final nine spots will be locked in tomorrow in Bump Day activities.
Single-car qualifying will go until 6 p.m. ET, with the Fast Nine shootout going off at 6:30 p.m. ET.
Pole Day Results (4 p.m. ET — Top 24)
1. 12-Will Power, 228.844 mph
2. 1-Ryan Hunter-Reay, 228.282
3. 26-Carlos Munoz, 228.171
4. 3- Helio Castroneves, 227.975
5. 20-Ed Carpenter, 227.952
6. 25-Marco Andretti, 227.893
7. 2-A.J. Allmendinger, 227.761
8. 5-E.J. Viso, 227.612
9. 27-James Hinchcliffe, 227.493
10. 4-J.R. Hildebrand, 227.441
11. 98-Alex Tagliani, 227.386
12. 11-Tony Kanaan, 226.949
13. 19-Justin Wilson, 226.370
14. 7-Sebastien Bourdais, 226.196
15. 9-Scott Dixon, 226.158
16. 10-Dario Franchitti, 226.069
17. 14-Takuma Sato, 225.892
18. 83-Charlie Kimball, 225.880
19. 60-Townsend Bell, 225.699
20. 77-Simon Pagenaud, 225.674
21. 78-Simona de Silvestro, 225.400
22. 21-Josef Newgarden, 225.210
23. 15-Graham Rahal, 225.139
24. 8-Ryan Briscoe, 225.043
May 28, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
25 years on from Mark Blundell’s pole position at Le Mans, Nissan pays homage with a retro livery on its third car for the race.
May 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Alan Permane claims the data on Grosjean’s car shows he did not brake-test Verstappen and cause their crash in Monaco last Sunday.
May 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
FIA president responds to calls for a stricter policy on alcohol sponsorship in F1.
May 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Andreas Bakkerud will fill in for Piquet while he’s on Formula E duty in Russia.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff took part in a Twitter Q&A earlier this week.
May 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Two-time series champion looks ahead to a big year in Red Bull GRC with Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross.
May 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Gossage and Walker are in contact about how to best move forward with super speedway aero kits ahead of June 6 IndyCar race.
May 28, 2015, 7:30 AM EDT
No. 63 driver tops $61,000 raised for Susan G. Komen this month.
May 27, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
The last seven races held in Detroit have been won by a different driver.
May 27, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Penalties doled out after the Indy 500, most notably to the No. 19 and 98 teams for pit incidents.
May 27, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Gonzalez returns to No. 18 car after running it in the Grand Prix of Alabama.
May 27, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
After three straight top-five finishes, Graham Rahal returns to the site of his only 2014 podium.
May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Ahead of the Red Bull GRC season, Tanner Foust and Scott Speed look for better luck in the pair of Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetles.
May 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EDT
Charlie Kimball says his team has hit its stride after two straight top-five finishes.
May 27, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Hinch heads home.
May 27, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT
Wilson and Andretti continue relationship at FE race in Moscow.
May 27, 2015, 9:23 AM EDT
Racing for Cancer to make trip to this year’s Le Mans, with Derek DeBoer in an Aston Martin Vantage GT4.
May 27, 2015, 8:16 AM EDT
The Red Bull GRC season kicks off in Fort Lauderdale this weekend.
May 27, 2015, 7:44 AM EDT
Fast facts heading into this weekend’s Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit, courtesy of IndyCar PR staff.
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 5
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1