May 18, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Will Power’s four-lap average of 228.844 miles per hour is still on top of the Pole Day charts at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but the Andretti Autosport armada is making its presence felt as well.
In the previous hour, defending IZOD IndyCar Series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay and Colombian rookie Carlos Munoz posted averages good enough to slide into the middle and outside of the front row provisionally. Hunter-Reay averaged 228.282 in his No. 1 DHL/Sun Drop Chevrolet, while Munoz put up an average of 228.171 in his No. 26 Unistraw Chevrolet.
The qualifying run of James Jakes was thrown out by INDYCAR after a post-qualifying technical inspection revealed the car to be half a pound under weight. Jakes had posted an average of 225.397 mph, but will now have to re-qualify his No. 16 Acorn Stairlifts Honda for Rahal Letterman Racing.
The first 24 positions on the grid have been filled and there is currently bumping going on at the moment. The final nine spots will be locked in tomorrow in Bump Day activities.
Single-car qualifying will go until 6 p.m. ET, with the Fast Nine shootout going off at 6:30 p.m. ET.
Pole Day Results (4 p.m. ET — Top 24)
1. 12-Will Power, 228.844 mph
2. 1-Ryan Hunter-Reay, 228.282
3. 26-Carlos Munoz, 228.171
4. 3- Helio Castroneves, 227.975
5. 20-Ed Carpenter, 227.952
6. 25-Marco Andretti, 227.893
7. 2-A.J. Allmendinger, 227.761
8. 5-E.J. Viso, 227.612
9. 27-James Hinchcliffe, 227.493
10. 4-J.R. Hildebrand, 227.441
11. 98-Alex Tagliani, 227.386
12. 11-Tony Kanaan, 226.949
13. 19-Justin Wilson, 226.370
14. 7-Sebastien Bourdais, 226.196
15. 9-Scott Dixon, 226.158
16. 10-Dario Franchitti, 226.069
17. 14-Takuma Sato, 225.892
18. 83-Charlie Kimball, 225.880
19. 60-Townsend Bell, 225.699
20. 77-Simon Pagenaud, 225.674
21. 78-Simona de Silvestro, 225.400
22. 21-Josef Newgarden, 225.210
23. 15-Graham Rahal, 225.139
24. 8-Ryan Briscoe, 225.043
Jul 7, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Wilson returns for final five IndyCar races of the year with Andretti Autosport.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:10 AM EDT
Next up for one of racing’s busiest drivers? ARCA debut in Iowa.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
Will Power dominated Milwaukee in 2014. Here’s how he did it.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Degree of continuity at Coyne, as Mann and Vautier confirmed for next two short ovals.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Scott Hargrove adds two more wins to his record after a one-day sweep of two Porsche races in Canada.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
IndyCar, Indy Lights drivers try to guess towns or cheeses in Wisconsin.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
The potential ripple effects of Austin Dillon’s catch-fence accident could extend far beyond NASCAR.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT
Sandell, Dyne make it a double top-five for Bryan Herta Rallysport at MCAS New River.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Leading 1-2 early, Williams was almost trapped, rather than able to seize its moment in Silverstone.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
A gamble on intermediate tires backfires for Kimi Raikkonen at Silverstone.
Race Recap: Hamilton sees off early Williams threat and late rain shower to claim third home victory
Jul 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The British driver sends the home crowd into raptures with his third Silverstone victory.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
After the latest Red Bull GRC round, we catch up with NBC Sports Group motorsports analyst Townsend Bell for a special Red Bull GRC installment of “Ten with Townsend.”
Jul 6, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Luke Smith gets a little patriotic following his home grand prix, explaining why F1 could stand to be a little more British in its mentality.
NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win
Jul 5, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Doug Kalitta (Top Fuel), Jack Beckman (Funny Car), Greg Anderson (Pro Stock) and Karen Stoffer (Pro Stock Motorcycle) took home wins in Sunday’s NHRA race in Norwalk, Ohio.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Block wins at MCAS New River, Round 4 of the Red Bull GRC season.
Jul 5, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Before NASCAR resumes on NBC from Daytona, see Red Bull GRC pick up its season from its first race after Daytona, at MCAS New River.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
Will Buxton brings you all of the post-race interviews and analysis at Silverstone.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Roberto Merhi and Will Stevens finish 12th and 13th at Manor’s home race.
- Welcome back, Wilson: Englishman back with Andretti for rest of 2015 0
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 6
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0