May 18, 2013, 4:10 PM EST
Will Power’s four-lap average of 228.844 miles per hour is still on top of the Pole Day charts at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but the Andretti Autosport armada is making its presence felt as well.
In the previous hour, defending IZOD IndyCar Series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay and Colombian rookie Carlos Munoz posted averages good enough to slide into the middle and outside of the front row provisionally. Hunter-Reay averaged 228.282 in his No. 1 DHL/Sun Drop Chevrolet, while Munoz put up an average of 228.171 in his No. 26 Unistraw Chevrolet.
The qualifying run of James Jakes was thrown out by INDYCAR after a post-qualifying technical inspection revealed the car to be half a pound under weight. Jakes had posted an average of 225.397 mph, but will now have to re-qualify his No. 16 Acorn Stairlifts Honda for Rahal Letterman Racing.
The first 24 positions on the grid have been filled and there is currently bumping going on at the moment. The final nine spots will be locked in tomorrow in Bump Day activities.
Single-car qualifying will go until 6 p.m. ET, with the Fast Nine shootout going off at 6:30 p.m. ET.
Pole Day Results (4 p.m. ET — Top 24)
1. 12-Will Power, 228.844 mph
2. 1-Ryan Hunter-Reay, 228.282
3. 26-Carlos Munoz, 228.171
4. 3- Helio Castroneves, 227.975
5. 20-Ed Carpenter, 227.952
6. 25-Marco Andretti, 227.893
7. 2-A.J. Allmendinger, 227.761
8. 5-E.J. Viso, 227.612
9. 27-James Hinchcliffe, 227.493
10. 4-J.R. Hildebrand, 227.441
11. 98-Alex Tagliani, 227.386
12. 11-Tony Kanaan, 226.949
13. 19-Justin Wilson, 226.370
14. 7-Sebastien Bourdais, 226.196
15. 9-Scott Dixon, 226.158
16. 10-Dario Franchitti, 226.069
17. 14-Takuma Sato, 225.892
18. 83-Charlie Kimball, 225.880
19. 60-Townsend Bell, 225.699
20. 77-Simon Pagenaud, 225.674
21. 78-Simona de Silvestro, 225.400
22. 21-Josef Newgarden, 225.210
23. 15-Graham Rahal, 225.139
24. 8-Ryan Briscoe, 225.043
Mar 4, 2015, 5:14 PM EST
Honda hints at more about its aero kits, while tossing out two dates of note.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Look through the Pirelli World Challenge field continues with a look at GTS.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat look to lead the team in the post-Vettel era.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:40 PM EST
Justin Wilson returns to Michael Shank Racing for Sebring one-off.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:09 PM EST
Manor Marussia F1 to make trip to Melbourne after all.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
FIA Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag outlines goals for upcoming two U.S. races, and recaps the first four thus far.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:51 AM EST
Soft and medium the main choice for Pirelli in three of first four Grands Prix.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:14 AM EST
Raffaele Marciello set for Malaysia FP1 appearance at Sauber.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
One to two sentence bullet point rundown on the PWC GT, GTA, GT Cup field heading into COTA and the 2015 season.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
Pippa’s Pink Posse to feature prominently in Komen Race for the Cure, for Central Indiana Affiliate.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
It’s the race to repeat in 2015, but will it be Lewis Hamilton or Nico Rosberg who takes the title?
Mar 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Fernando Alonso’s accident in testing has raised way more questions than answers.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:46 AM EST
Sunoco joins IMS, extends with INDYCAR.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:51 AM EST
Formula E partners with FPL for Miami ePrix; Matty Brabham does the demo runs.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:06 AM EST
Tequila Patron ESM, Rolling Stone come together for one-off outing at 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
Susie Wolff confirmed for Spain, Silverstone FP1 outings and another day in Austria.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:54 AM EST
Alonso ruled out of season opener, following medical advice.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:31 PM EST
Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat premieres this Thursday, March 5, at 8 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:16 PM EST
Jam-packed schedule for inaugural GP of NOLA weekend.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Toyota Racing’s trio of Davidson, Buemi and Nakajima tour Tokyo.
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3