May 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
They may have made a quiet start to the 2013 Formula One season, but Martin Whitmarsh is very proud of McLaren’s excellent record around the streets of Monaco, with F1 returning to the principality next weekend.
“Vodafone McLaren Mercedes has a fabulous record in Monte Carlo. We’ve taken 15 wins – more than any other constructor – through the streets of the principality and while we’re not yet in a position to challenge for victories this year, we’ll relish the challenge provided by this race and we hope to challenge for more points with both cars,” Whitmarsh said in the team’s GP preview.
McLaren last won the Monaco Grand Prix in 2008 as Lewis Hamilton excelled in the wet conditions, but the team is unlikely to repeat this performance as both Jenson Button and Sergio Perez struggle with the MP4-28 car. However, Whitmarsh believes that a good result is still achievable relying the team can have a strong qualifying session on Saturday.
“Overtaking opportunities are limited at Monaco, even with the DRS, so qualifying is going to be very important on Saturday afternoon. Both of our drivers know how to turn a quick lap, and Sergio can take a lot of confidence from his excellent performance during Q2 at the Spanish Grand Prix.”
Jenson Button’s aims for the race are much the same, believing that McLaren can make another “small step forward” in Monaco, but the team will be keen on extending its imperious record should the chance come about.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and he wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14