May 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
They may have made a quiet start to the 2013 Formula One season, but Martin Whitmarsh is very proud of McLaren’s excellent record around the streets of Monaco, with F1 returning to the principality next weekend.
“Vodafone McLaren Mercedes has a fabulous record in Monte Carlo. We’ve taken 15 wins – more than any other constructor – through the streets of the principality and while we’re not yet in a position to challenge for victories this year, we’ll relish the challenge provided by this race and we hope to challenge for more points with both cars,” Whitmarsh said in the team’s GP preview.
McLaren last won the Monaco Grand Prix in 2008 as Lewis Hamilton excelled in the wet conditions, but the team is unlikely to repeat this performance as both Jenson Button and Sergio Perez struggle with the MP4-28 car. However, Whitmarsh believes that a good result is still achievable relying the team can have a strong qualifying session on Saturday.
“Overtaking opportunities are limited at Monaco, even with the DRS, so qualifying is going to be very important on Saturday afternoon. Both of our drivers know how to turn a quick lap, and Sergio can take a lot of confidence from his excellent performance during Q2 at the Spanish Grand Prix.”
Jenson Button’s aims for the race are much the same, believing that McLaren can make another “small step forward” in Monaco, but the team will be keen on extending its imperious record should the chance come about.
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 0
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2
- F1 Paddock Pass: Bahrain Grand Prix (VIDEO) 1
- 2015 Bahrain Grand Prix Preview 0
- Preview: Anyone’s game as IndyCar heads to historic Long Beach 1