May 18, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
The final pre-qualifying practice is in the books for this year’s Indianapolis 500. There were faster speeds, more tows, and a new name atop the timesheets heading into Pole Day qualifying on NBC Sports Network and NBC Sports Live Extra, beginning at 11 a.m. ET.
Will Power recorded the morning’s, and the month’s, fastest lap of 229.808. But like all other fastest laps this month, the Verizon Team Penske driver set his thanks to a tow.
“It’s pretty heavy on air, you could say. It’s pretty humid out there, but it’s cool,” he said. “It’s very difficult to predict what to run trim-wise for qualifying. We’ll see when the temperature comes. If it’s similar to this, I think we have a good idea. We’re just working it out. You’ve just got to make an educated guess. When I was out there, getting little bits of moisture on your visor makes you nervy. You’re not sure if it’s going to start raining in a different area. I think we’re in pretty good shape.”
The rest of the top five included his Team Penske teammate AJ Allmendinger, followed by three Hondas: Josef Newgarden, Graham Rahal and Simon Pagenaud.
It’s hard to read too much into these times because of the tows, the various downforce levels on the car, and the temperatures. Power did record the morning’s fastest solo lap, 228.1 per NBC Sports Network analyst Jon Beekhuis, so that is something to note.
- IndyCar: Graham Rahal is halfway leader at Barber 0
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0