May 19, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Some of the 10 drivers attempting to qualify on Sunday at Indianapolis are going through their first Bump Day. For others, this marks a wretched return experience. All but one will make the field, but for that one who doesn’t, it’s heartbreak.
Bump Day qualifying airs from noon to 6:30 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network, and live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra.
Let’s break down the 10 drivers still needing to qualify today and their Bump Day histories:
- Sebastian Saavedra, No. 6 Dragon Racing. In 2010, he backed his way into his first Indianapolis 500 when Jay Howard and Paul Tracy withdrew faster qualifying times, and Saavedra, watching from a hospital bed after an accident, was promoted into the field. Saavedra’s first IndyCar start was also the first for Bryan Herta Autosport. In 2011, he failed to qualify for Conquest Racing.
- Graham Rahal, No. 15 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. In 2011, made it in the field in 29th place for Service Central Chip Ganassi Racing. His only prior Bump Day appearance in six 500 attempts. An unfortunate historical anecdote for Graham is that father Bobby failed to qualify for the 1993 Indianapolis 500, some 20 years ago.
- Michel Jourdain Jr., No. 17 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. Today marks his first Bump Day appearance in three attempts. Unfortunately, he needs to find some speed as has been struggling to break 220 mph.
- Ana Beatriz, No. 18 Dale Coyne Racing. Today marks her second Bump Day appearance in four attempts. The slowest qualifier in 2011, she did make the field in 33rd, promoted to 32nd when a driver change occurred in A.J. Foyt’s second car (Bruno Junqueira to Ryan Hunter-Reay).
- Josef Newgarden, No. 21 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing. Today marks his first Bump Day appearance in two attempts. The fastest Honda qualifier a year ago, now Newgarden’s gotta stick it in the show on Sunday.
- Conor Daly, No. 41 A.J. Foyt Racing. The 21-year-old rookie makes his first Bump Day appearance. A tough week has also included an accident and a mechanical issue during his qualifying run on Saturday.
- Tristan Vautier, No. 55 Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. The 23-year-old rookie makes his first Bump Day appearance. Qualifying at Indy a far cry from consecutive Firestone Fast Six appearances to kick off his IndyCar career earlier this year.
- Pippa Mann, No. 63 Dale Coyne Racing. Today marks her second Bump Day appearance in two attempts. Made it in in 2011, qualifying 31st.
- Katherine Legge, No. 81 Schmidt Peterson Pelfrey Motorsports. Today marks her second Bump Day appearance in two attempts. Made it in last year, qualifying 30th.
- Buddy Lazier, No. 91 Lazier Partners Racing (pictured). The 16-year Indy veteran was last in Bump Day in 2009, when he failed to qualify. In 2008, he turned in one of Bump Day’s most memorable runs with a car that had no business qualifying, and made the field in 32nd.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Phoenix winner only driver north of 190mph in Las Vegas test.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
BHA rookie admits slight surprise in taking the reins of team’s No. 98 entry.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
Series seeks marketing/promotional growth to match solid on-track product.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Townsend Bell, Bill Sweedler to continue in AIM-run Ferrari in TUDOR Championship.
Mar 6, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Regulations change plus a solid preseason leaves Sir Frank bullish on Williams’ 2014 outlook.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
NASCAR’s open test takes place this afternoon and into the early evening at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, site of Sunday’s Kobalt 400, the third round of the already-flying 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Actor Jonathan Goldsmith to give “the Most Interesting Command in the World.”
Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video)
Mar 6, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
After teasing us a few days ago with a brief video of what was to come, the first episode of Smokey Is The Bandit, featuring NASCAR star Tony Stewart, is out.
Mar 6, 2014, 2:19 PM EST
Funny Car driver Alexis DeJoria is already having a dream season – and she’s only two races into the 24-race 2014 NHRA schedule.
Mar 6, 2014, 1:38 PM EST
Although this is no laughing matter, one of comedian Larry the Cable Guy’s signature lines — “That ain’t right” – is quite appropriate in this instance. According to MotorAuthority.com, Chrysler officials have recalled 93 Dodge Vipers that were donated to schools and colleges around the U.S. for educational purposes. But the cars aren’t being recalled…
Mar 6, 2014, 12:31 PM EST
NHRA star Antron Brown is watching the career of budding NASCAR star Darrell “Bubba” Wallace quite closely.
Mar 6, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
For the first time in more than 30 years, the name “Bernstein” will not be on the qualifying grid for next week’s NHRA Gatornationals in Gainesville, Fla.
Mar 6, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Pop quiz: Who has been the most consistent driver in Sprint Cup over nearly the last dozen races, dating back to the latter part of last season?
Mar 6, 2014, 10:35 AM EST
It’s been a question for the ages: which is faster, the Snake or the Mongoo$e? It’s a question that was arguably one of the most-asked during the late 1960s and 1970s when Don “The Snake” Prudhomme and Tom “The Mongoo$e” (yes, there was a $ instead of an “s”) McEwen engaged in one of the…
Mar 6, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Rider learns from Simon Pagenaud, Josef Newgarden before sampling HPD simulator.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:24 AM EST
Iconic lines, livery return to F1 aboard the FW36-Mercedes.
Mar 5, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Simon Pagenaud, Mikhail Aleshin lap the Homestead-Miami road course on Tuesday.
Mar 5, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Potential new family addition for Menard could see Crafton make his Sprint Cup debut.
Mar 5, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Fresh livery for the 88 at Las Vegas.
Mar 5, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
It’s the day before an open test at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, site of the third round of the already-flying 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season. Today, on NASCAR AMERICA (5 p.m. ET on NBCSN and online on NBC Sports Live Extra), there will be more of a preview of the 400-mile race that sees…
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)