May 19, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Some of the 10 drivers attempting to qualify on Sunday at Indianapolis are going through their first Bump Day. For others, this marks a wretched return experience. All but one will make the field, but for that one who doesn’t, it’s heartbreak.
Bump Day qualifying airs from noon to 6:30 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network, and live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra.
Let’s break down the 10 drivers still needing to qualify today and their Bump Day histories:
- Sebastian Saavedra, No. 6 Dragon Racing. In 2010, he backed his way into his first Indianapolis 500 when Jay Howard and Paul Tracy withdrew faster qualifying times, and Saavedra, watching from a hospital bed after an accident, was promoted into the field. Saavedra’s first IndyCar start was also the first for Bryan Herta Autosport. In 2011, he failed to qualify for Conquest Racing.
- Graham Rahal, No. 15 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. In 2011, made it in the field in 29th place for Service Central Chip Ganassi Racing. His only prior Bump Day appearance in six 500 attempts. An unfortunate historical anecdote for Graham is that father Bobby failed to qualify for the 1993 Indianapolis 500, some 20 years ago.
- Michel Jourdain Jr., No. 17 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. Today marks his first Bump Day appearance in three attempts. Unfortunately, he needs to find some speed as has been struggling to break 220 mph.
- Ana Beatriz, No. 18 Dale Coyne Racing. Today marks her second Bump Day appearance in four attempts. The slowest qualifier in 2011, she did make the field in 33rd, promoted to 32nd when a driver change occurred in A.J. Foyt’s second car (Bruno Junqueira to Ryan Hunter-Reay).
- Josef Newgarden, No. 21 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing. Today marks his first Bump Day appearance in two attempts. The fastest Honda qualifier a year ago, now Newgarden’s gotta stick it in the show on Sunday.
- Conor Daly, No. 41 A.J. Foyt Racing. The 21-year-old rookie makes his first Bump Day appearance. A tough week has also included an accident and a mechanical issue during his qualifying run on Saturday.
- Tristan Vautier, No. 55 Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. The 23-year-old rookie makes his first Bump Day appearance. Qualifying at Indy a far cry from consecutive Firestone Fast Six appearances to kick off his IndyCar career earlier this year.
- Pippa Mann, No. 63 Dale Coyne Racing. Today marks her second Bump Day appearance in two attempts. Made it in in 2011, qualifying 31st.
- Katherine Legge, No. 81 Schmidt Peterson Pelfrey Motorsports. Today marks her second Bump Day appearance in two attempts. Made it in last year, qualifying 30th.
- Buddy Lazier, No. 91 Lazier Partners Racing (pictured). The 16-year Indy veteran was last in Bump Day in 2009, when he failed to qualify. In 2008, he turned in one of Bump Day’s most memorable runs with a car that had no business qualifying, and made the field in 32nd.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Michael Shank Racing has confirmed that John Pew and Ozz Negri will be back with the team for the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, co-driving the No. 60 MSR Ford Ecoboost/Riley. Pew finished 14th in last year’s GRAND-AM Rolex Series championship, while Negri finished 17th despite missing several races due to a setback in his…
Dec 9, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Audi has already banked wins in the 24-hour races at Daytona and Le Mans this year, and also in the 12 Hours of Sebring in March. Now, the manufacturer can add a 25-hour race win to its mantle … even though Thunderhill is basically a NASA club race in December. Still, a win’s a win,…
Dec 9, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
Two of NASCAR’s rising stars were at the center of a major issue during Sunday’s Snowball Derby short-track race in Pensacola, Florida. Chase Elliott, the son of former Sprint Cup champion Bill Elliott and a part-timer in the Camping World Truck Series, appeared to have won the prestigious Super Late Model race as he crossed…
Dec 9, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
After an arduous 2013 season, it appears Formula One tire manufacturer Pirelli will have ample opportunity to get it right for 2014. As part of the FIA’s raft of regulation changes issued today, Pirelli was given the green light to stage a three-day test session next week at the Bahrain International Circuit. All F1 teams…
Dec 9, 2013, 3:28 PM EST
For one day, Dale Earnhardt Jr. traded in his No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet for a new ride – a pink, Power Wheels 4×4. It’s all part of Earnhardt’s recent collaboration with star YouTube video producer Devin Graham that involved a “cardboard rodeo” at Dale Jr.’s property in North Carolina. With the help of an…
Dec 9, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
All three Andersen Promotions-run series in the Mazda Road to Indy ladder, Indy Lights, Pro Mazda and USF2000, are underway in the Chris Griffis Memorial Road to Indy test this week at Barber Motorsports Park. Some news and notes about the driver/team combinations to follow: INDY LIGHTS USF2000 drivers Michael Epps and Alexandre Baron will…
Dec 9, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
A meeting of the F1 Strategy Group and Formula One Commission today in Paris has yielded approval of several new regulation changes, most of which will take effect in 2014. But perhaps the biggest change of all won’t come until 2015, when a budget cap will be instituted. A working group made up of representatives…
Dec 9, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Williams has continued its efforts to emerge from the back of the Formula One grid with a pair of new technical hires that are making their way to Grove from two of F1′s top teams. Former Lotus member Dave Wheater has come on board as Williams’ new head of aerodynamic performance, while former Red Bull…
Dec 9, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
The outside world is lamenting Nico Hulkenberg’s being passed over, once again, for a top flight seat on the Formula One grid. Yet Hulkenberg is thankful to have any seat in an F1 world where commercial interests have played such a major role in seats of late. “I believe I’m in a good place and just…
Dec 9, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
After talking about the big stories and ranking our Top 10 drivers from the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season, my colleague Tony DiZinno and I are taking a look back on how each of the 13 Chase for the Sprint Cup contenders fared this past year. Running ninth on the final standings table this…
Dec 9, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
After talking about the big stories and ranking our Top 10 drivers from the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season, my colleague Tony DiZinno and I are taking a look back on how each of the 13 Chase for the Sprint Cup contenders fared this past year. Coming up eighth after earning his first berth…
Dec 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
After talking about the big stories and ranking our Top 10 drivers from the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season, my colleague Tony DiZinno and I are now going to start taking a look back on how each of the 13 Chase for the Sprint Cup contenders fared this past year. Finishing seventh following a…
Dec 9, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
FIA Formula E is bringing in some star power for the 10th and final team for its inaugural season, which begins in September 2014. Venturi Automobiles announced a partnership with award-winning actor and environmental activist Leonardo DiCaprio to create the new Venturi Grand Prix Formula E Team. DiCaprio will work in partnership with Gildo Pallanca Pastor, founder of…
Dec 9, 2013, 10:23 AM EST
NASCAR’s planned test at the Charlotte Motor Speedway was originally set for today, but has been moved to Wednesday, Dec. 11 due to inclement weather. Teams will still have the option to be on track from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. During the afternoon, Gene Stefanyshyn, NASCAR vice president of innovation and racing development and…
Dec 8, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
“Red Bull driver No. 1 wins another championship in 2013″ is a headline that can be applied to not just four-time Formula One champ Sebastian Vettel, but also to Australian V8 Supercars legend Jamie Whincup. Whincup captured his fifth V8SC title Sunday in Sydney, for his third straight title at age 30. Whincup won Saturday’s…
Dec 8, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
He may have missed out on one drive, but Portuguese driver Antonio Felix da Costa won’t be rideless in 2014. Following a successful first test, da Costa was named to BMW’s DTM program for 2014 as part of the manufacturer’s annual year-end ceremony in Munich. An official release confirmed him as one of two new…
Dec 8, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
NEW 2014 VERSION (Photo: Audi) 2013 VERSION (Photo: Getty Images) Meet the new Audi, which basically looks the same as the old one. New worldwide LMP1 regulations focusing on efficiency for 2014 means manufacturers and teams have to reveal new cars, and at first glance, the 2014 Audi R18 e-tron quattro looks remarkably similar to…
Dec 8, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Prior to Friday night’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Awards Ceremony, the always-entertaining “After the Lap” event for fans took place earlier in the week in Las Vegas. And it was there we learned Dale Earnhardt Jr. has a fever … and the only prescription is more eBay. Dale Jr. already has the popular vote locked…
Dec 8, 2013, 10:36 AM EST
Target Chip Ganassi Racing appears close to unwrapping an early Christmas present, in the form of the replacement for the retired Dario Franchitti in its No. 10 Target Chevrolet for 2014 in the very near future. Reports from both Autosport and RACER this week have more or less narrowed the field of contenders, at least…
Dec 7, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
A few minor bits and pieces of news around the IndyCar Series and the Mazda Road to Indy have popped up over the last couple weeks. Here’s a quick roundup, since the last one we did a couple of weeks ago: Besides Tony Kanaan having his first running in Chip Ganassi Racing IndyCar machinery, Francesco…
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 7
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)