May 19, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Some of the 10 drivers attempting to qualify on Sunday at Indianapolis are going through their first Bump Day. For others, this marks a wretched return experience. All but one will make the field, but for that one who doesn’t, it’s heartbreak.
Bump Day qualifying airs from noon to 6:30 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network, and live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra.
Let’s break down the 10 drivers still needing to qualify today and their Bump Day histories:
- Sebastian Saavedra, No. 6 Dragon Racing. In 2010, he backed his way into his first Indianapolis 500 when Jay Howard and Paul Tracy withdrew faster qualifying times, and Saavedra, watching from a hospital bed after an accident, was promoted into the field. Saavedra’s first IndyCar start was also the first for Bryan Herta Autosport. In 2011, he failed to qualify for Conquest Racing.
- Graham Rahal, No. 15 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. In 2011, made it in the field in 29th place for Service Central Chip Ganassi Racing. His only prior Bump Day appearance in six 500 attempts. An unfortunate historical anecdote for Graham is that father Bobby failed to qualify for the 1993 Indianapolis 500, some 20 years ago.
- Michel Jourdain Jr., No. 17 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. Today marks his first Bump Day appearance in three attempts. Unfortunately, he needs to find some speed as has been struggling to break 220 mph.
- Ana Beatriz, No. 18 Dale Coyne Racing. Today marks her second Bump Day appearance in four attempts. The slowest qualifier in 2011, she did make the field in 33rd, promoted to 32nd when a driver change occurred in A.J. Foyt’s second car (Bruno Junqueira to Ryan Hunter-Reay).
- Josef Newgarden, No. 21 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing. Today marks his first Bump Day appearance in two attempts. The fastest Honda qualifier a year ago, now Newgarden’s gotta stick it in the show on Sunday.
- Conor Daly, No. 41 A.J. Foyt Racing. The 21-year-old rookie makes his first Bump Day appearance. A tough week has also included an accident and a mechanical issue during his qualifying run on Saturday.
- Tristan Vautier, No. 55 Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. The 23-year-old rookie makes his first Bump Day appearance. Qualifying at Indy a far cry from consecutive Firestone Fast Six appearances to kick off his IndyCar career earlier this year.
- Pippa Mann, No. 63 Dale Coyne Racing. Today marks her second Bump Day appearance in two attempts. Made it in in 2011, qualifying 31st.
- Katherine Legge, No. 81 Schmidt Peterson Pelfrey Motorsports. Today marks her second Bump Day appearance in two attempts. Made it in last year, qualifying 30th.
- Buddy Lazier, No. 91 Lazier Partners Racing (pictured). The 16-year Indy veteran was last in Bump Day in 2009, when he failed to qualify. In 2008, he turned in one of Bump Day’s most memorable runs with a car that had no business qualifying, and made the field in 32nd.
Dec 21, 2014, 2:54 PM EST
With just 40 less horsepower than a 2015 Sprint Cup car, the new Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is VERY powerful. One new Hellcat owner, who bought it just one hour earlier, found out the hard way about all that power.
Dec 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
The Outlaw takes on the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 in the same day.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Vickers made his full-time return to Sprint Cup action in 2014, which in itself was a victory.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
Paul Menard had a decent season at times in 2014, but fell short of making the Chase in the final qualifying race.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:42 PM EST
New York State’s Empire Racing took the three fastest spots as ARCA completed a two-day open test at Daytona International Speedway.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EST
See NHRA great John Force like you’ve never seen him in this video, shot mainly through the eyes of his grandsons Jacob and Noah.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:16 PM EST
Dr. Dick Berggren will receive yet another prestigious honor in his career. He’ll be inducted into the Maine Motorsports Hall of Fame in April 2015.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
The staff at New Hampshire Motor Speedway got into the holiday spirit, caroling with a unique NASCAR twist in a newly-released video.
Dec 20, 2014, 6:29 PM EST
Matt Henderson, Henderson Motorsports, and local businesses deliver presents and gifts to family in La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:29 PM EST
Times Square’s ‘ball drop’ will have nothing on Indianapolis as it lowers an Indy Car as the final seconds of 2014 tick off.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Michael Tatoian has been able to help bring additional events to the Monster Mile beyond its two NASCAR weekends.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Carl Edwards was the most sought-after Sprint Cup free agent in 2014. After more than a decade with Roush Fenway Racing, Edwards announced he will be driving for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2015.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:35 PM EST
Red Bull Straight Rhythm is a one-of-a-kind event, featuring an “unwound” supercross track and head-to-head racing. Tune in to NBC to see how it all played out.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
BayernLB sues Ecclestone and his family holding for 345 million Euros.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Dillon made a big first impression and then quietly learned the ropes in Sprint Cup.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Clint Bowyer endured the worst season of his Sprint Cup career in 2014. He hasn’t won a race since 2012, but 2015 could be a comeback year for him.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:40 AM EST
Can’t say these sweaters aren’t memorable.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Daughter of legendary Funny Car champ John Force, Brittany Force is out to prove that 2015 will be her year in NHRA Top Fuel racing.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., spent a recent testing day in a Formula 4 car, a possible prelude to following in his famous father’s footsteps.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Edwards’ Arris car won’t be hard to find in a pack next year.
Video from NASCAR America
- Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 0
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 2