May 19, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Felipe Massa has encouraged Ferrari to improve their qualifying pace in order to give themselves the best possible chance of winning both championships in 2013.
Ferrari have made a good start to the season, winning two of the opening five races, but it is almost one year since the Italian team last claimed a pole position (2012 German GP). Massa was pleased with the start the team has made to the season, although he admitted there was still room for improvement.
“Overall, it’s been a positive start,” Massa said in a team statement. “In some races we did very well, while in others, Bahrain for example, we had a few problems which cost us valuable points.
“We have seen an all-round improvement this year, from the car to the way the team works and we have shown we are competitive, but clearly we can still improve, especially in qualifying. We are well aware of this and working towards that goal.”
The team will look to end its pole-less streak at next weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix, where Massa started from P1 in 2008. The Brazilian driver believes that qualifying in the principality is especially important.
“I like the Monaco track a lot, partly because it’s my second home race, given I live there. You are always on the limit, very close to the barriers, with no room for error. Grid position is much more important than at any other track and so we hope we can do well right from Saturday.
“My aim is very simple, to always be in the fight for a podium finish.”
Having made a good start to the season, Felipe Massa appears to be back at his best. He lost out on the 2008 drivers’ title by just one point, but his form declined following an accident in 2009 which saw him miss half of the season. Now, with the criticism put behind him, the likeable Brazilian will be keen on building upon his first podium finish of 2013 last time out in Spain.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 87
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1