May 19, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
The Indianapolis 500 has its traditional field of 33 cars, but the starting grid will not be completely set until the gun goes off at 6 p.m. ET at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Going into today’s Bump Day action, ten drivers were set to battle for the nine remaining starting spots on the grid. So far, Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing’s Josef Newgarden (pictured) is the fastest second-day qualifier after putting down a four-lap average of 225.731 miles per hour in his No. 21 Century 21 Honda. The Tennessee native was bumped out of the Top 24 with minutes to go in yesterday’s Pole Day, but should nonetheless feel encouraged by his efforts this afternoon.
“Today, it’s one of those days [where you] have to keep your chin up,” Newgarden told NBC Sports Network’s Marty Snider. “What happened yesterday happened, let’s move on to the race. Hopefully, we can get some race [trim] running in today. I’d love to work on the car and I really think we’re going to be strong when it counts.”
Another driver that was left frustrated on Pole Day was Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing’s Graham Rahal, but he too has put up a strong run today. Rahal posted a four-lap average of 225.007 miles per hour in the No. 15 Midas/Big O Tires Honda, which made him visibly more pleased than he was yesterday.
“We went out there [in practice] this morning and the car right away was back up into the 226s, so I just knew that the car had plenty of speed in it,” Rahal told NBCSN’s Will Buxton. “We just needed to get four laps in and move on.”
Here’s the current speeds for today’s Bump Day qualifiers, who are going for Positions 25-33 on the grid. As of 1 p.m. ET, Michel Jourdain Jr. in the No. 17 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Honda is the only second-day qualifier that has yet to post an attempt.
Second Day Qualifiers (as of 1 p.m. ET)
25. 21-Josef Newgarden, 225.731 mph
26. 15-Graham Rahal, 225.007
27. 6-Sebastian Saavedra, 224.929
28. 55-Tristan Vautier, 224.873
29. 18-Ana Beatriz, 224.184
30. 63-Pippa Mann, 224.005
31. 41-Conor Daly, 223.582
32. 91-Buddy Lazier, 223.442
33. 81-Katherine Legge, 223.176
- WATCH LIVE: Bahrain GP qualifying on CNBC and Live Extra from 11am ET 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2
- F1 Paddock Pass: Bahrain Grand Prix (VIDEO) 1