May 19, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
– If you’re into numerology, it would appear that the number four is playing a role in how this 97th Indianapolis 500 is playing out so far. The field for this year’s running features four former winners of the “500” (Dario Franchitti, Helio Castroneves, Scott Dixon and Buddy Lazier), four rookie drivers (Carlos Munoz, A.J. Allmendinger, Tristan Vautier and Conor Daly), and four female drivers (Simona de Silvestro, Ana Beatriz, Pippa Mann, and Katherine Legge). One wonders if this bodes well for J.R. Hildebrand in the No. 4 Panther Racing Chevrolet. Or maybe it means good luck for the driver starting fourth on Sunday, Andretti Autosport’s E.J. Viso?
– There is a combined total of 144 Indianapolis 500 starts across this year’s field, up from the 103 years of combined experience in last year’s field. However, it’s a long way off from the race record of 260 years of experience, which has been set twice in 1987 and 1992.
– The oldest driver in the field also has the most previous starts of anyone in the field, too. Buddy Lazier, 45, managed to make his 17th Indy 500 this afternoon during Bump Day. But it’s likely safe to assume that Lazier will never get the record for most starts all-time, which belongs to four-time “500” winner and current IndyCar team owner A.J. Foyt. “Supertex” notched 35 Indy starts, all consecutive, from 1958 to 1992.
– This year’s field averaged a qualifying speed of 226.176 miles per hour, good enough to be the fourth-fastest field in “500” history. The fastest grid ever at Indy was the 2002 edition, which averaged 228.648 miles per hour.
– The starters will now be heading off across the continent to promote this year’s race. Here’s where they’ll be going for their respective media tours:
- New York: Helio Castroneves and Dario Franchitti
- Detroit: Will Power, Townsend Bell and Simona de Silvestro
- Cincinnati: Ed Carpenter, Justin Wilson and Tony Kanaan
- Philadelphia: Scott Dixon and Ryan Briscoe
- Birmingham, Ala.: Josef Newgarden
- Charlotte: A.J. Allmendinger
- Columbus, Oh.: James Jakes
- Chicago: Graham Rahal
- Dallas: Marco Andretti
- Dayton, Oh.: Buddy Lazier and Pippa Mann
- Houston: Takuma Sato
- Lafayette, Ind.: Ana Beatriz
- Louisville, Ky.: Conor Daly and Katherine Legge
- Los Angeles: J.R. Hildebrand
- Miami: Carlos Munoz, Sebastian Saavedra, Oriol Servia, and E.J. Viso
- Milwaukee: Simon Pagenaud and Charlie Kimball
- Tampa Bay: Sebastien Bourdais and Tristan Vautier
- Toronto: James Hinchcliffe and Alex Tagliani
- Washington, DC: Ryan Hunter-Reay
May 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Andreas Bakkerud will fill in for Piquet while he’s on Formula E duty in Russia.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff took part in a Twitter Q&A earlier this week.
May 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Two-time series champion looks ahead to a big year in Red Bull GRC with Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross.
May 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Gossage and Walker are in contact about how to best move forward with super speedway aero kits ahead of June 6 IndyCar race.
May 28, 2015, 7:30 AM EDT
No. 63 driver tops $61,000 raised for Susan G. Komen this month.
May 27, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
The last seven races held in Detroit have been won by a different driver.
May 27, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Penalties doled out after the Indy 500, most notably to the No. 19 and 98 teams for pit incidents.
May 27, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Gonzalez returns to No. 18 car after running it in the Grand Prix of Alabama.
May 27, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
After three straight top-five finishes, Graham Rahal returns to the site of his only 2014 podium.
May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Ahead of the Red Bull GRC season, Tanner Foust and Scott Speed look for better luck in the pair of Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetles.
May 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EDT
Charlie Kimball says his team has hit its stride after two straight top-five finishes.
May 27, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Hinch heads home.
May 27, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT
Wilson and Andretti continue relationship at FE race in Moscow.
May 27, 2015, 9:23 AM EDT
Racing for Cancer to make trip to this year’s Le Mans, with Derek DeBoer in an Aston Martin Vantage GT4.
May 27, 2015, 8:16 AM EDT
The Red Bull GRC season kicks off in Fort Lauderdale this weekend.
May 27, 2015, 7:44 AM EDT
Fast facts heading into this weekend’s Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit, courtesy of IndyCar PR staff.
May 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Chaves best of two first-year drivers in 99th Indianapolis 500.
May 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Look out for Nelson Piquet Jr. and SH Rallycross to have a big year in 2015.
May 26, 2015, 9:04 AM EDT
Daly gets confirmed for this weekend’s pair of races in Detroit.
Juan Pablo Montoya earns nearly $2.5 million for Indy 500 win (full box score with winnings attached)
May 26, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Team Penske nearly doubles his haul from first Indy 500 win 15 years ago.
- Gossage to Walker: “We needed a more competitive race this year than last year” 0
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 5
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1