May 19, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
- If you’re into numerology, it would appear that the number four is playing a role in how this 97th Indianapolis 500 is playing out so far. The field for this year’s running features four former winners of the “500” (Dario Franchitti, Helio Castroneves, Scott Dixon and Buddy Lazier), four rookie drivers (Carlos Munoz, A.J. Allmendinger, Tristan Vautier and Conor Daly), and four female drivers (Simona de Silvestro, Ana Beatriz, Pippa Mann, and Katherine Legge). One wonders if this bodes well for J.R. Hildebrand in the No. 4 Panther Racing Chevrolet. Or maybe it means good luck for the driver starting fourth on Sunday, Andretti Autosport’s E.J. Viso?
- There is a combined total of 144 Indianapolis 500 starts across this year’s field, up from the 103 years of combined experience in last year’s field. However, it’s a long way off from the race record of 260 years of experience, which has been set twice in 1987 and 1992.
- The oldest driver in the field also has the most previous starts of anyone in the field, too. Buddy Lazier, 45, managed to make his 17th Indy 500 this afternoon during Bump Day. But it’s likely safe to assume that Lazier will never get the record for most starts all-time, which belongs to four-time “500” winner and current IndyCar team owner A.J. Foyt. “Supertex” notched 35 Indy starts, all consecutive, from 1958 to 1992.
- This year’s field averaged a qualifying speed of 226.176 miles per hour, good enough to be the fourth-fastest field in “500” history. The fastest grid ever at Indy was the 2002 edition, which averaged 228.648 miles per hour.
- The starters will now be heading off across the continent to promote this year’s race. Here’s where they’ll be going for their respective media tours:
- New York: Helio Castroneves and Dario Franchitti
- Detroit: Will Power, Townsend Bell and Simona de Silvestro
- Cincinnati: Ed Carpenter, Justin Wilson and Tony Kanaan
- Philadelphia: Scott Dixon and Ryan Briscoe
- Birmingham, Ala.: Josef Newgarden
- Charlotte: A.J. Allmendinger
- Columbus, Oh.: James Jakes
- Chicago: Graham Rahal
- Dallas: Marco Andretti
- Dayton, Oh.: Buddy Lazier and Pippa Mann
- Houston: Takuma Sato
- Lafayette, Ind.: Ana Beatriz
- Louisville, Ky.: Conor Daly and Katherine Legge
- Los Angeles: J.R. Hildebrand
- Miami: Carlos Munoz, Sebastian Saavedra, Oriol Servia, and E.J. Viso
- Milwaukee: Simon Pagenaud and Charlie Kimball
- Tampa Bay: Sebastien Bourdais and Tristan Vautier
- Toronto: James Hinchcliffe and Alex Tagliani
- Washington, DC: Ryan Hunter-Reay
Oct 1, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Bailiffs seize goods at Leafield, but Caterham issues a statement saying that it is business as usual.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America goes in-depth with all 12 drivers in Round 2 of the Chase for the Sprint Cup, also known as the Contenders Round.
Report: Australian-owned team, driver and sponsor to debut in NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in 2015
Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
While Marcos Ambrose is returning to his native Australia after this season, a new Australian-owned team is set to make its debut in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series next season, complete with an Australian-born driver and Aussie primary sponsor.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Bill Elliott figured real estate would be a good investment many years ago, and did that belief ever pay off for the soon-to-be NASCAR Hall of Famer.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Kawasaki officially announced that reigning supercross champion Ryan Villopoto will head to Europe next year to race the MXGP series. Davi Millsaps and Wil Hahn will replace him on the American Monster Energy Kawasaki team.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
He’s reached the fourth round of Dancing With The Stars, but will NASCAR’s Michael Waltrip and partner Emma Slater make it to the fifth round?
Oct 1, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Jeff Gordon is now just three top-10 finishes away from tying Mark Martin for second most top-10s in a career. And in an ironic twist, Gordon is still seeking his first pole at this Sunday’s race venue, Kansas Motor Speedway.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
More details revealed ahead of Honda’s return to F1 in 2015 with McLaren.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
Clint Bowyer’s officially a father.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
Veteran NASCAR crew chief Mike Ford has joined Athenian Motorsports, the Nationwide Series team announced Wednesday.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
Sauber confirms that her testing programme has been scrapped due to “financial reasons”.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“Driver 88″ discusses his performance issues in the Challenger Round with NASCAR AMERICA’s Rick Allen.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
How do you prepare for two races and then a free-for-all at Talladega? Rick Allen and Kyle Petty of NASCAR AMERICA discuss.
Sep 30, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Also: Crew chief in same series fined, put on probation for car weight issue from last weekend at Dover.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Williams’ gap on Ferrari for third in the Constructors’ Championship is down to nine points going into this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Also coming up today: A closer look at the Contender Round tracks and who’s been successful at them; Joe Gibbs Racing focusing on continued momentum at Kansas; more radio goodness with the Dover Chase edition of “Scan All 43.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Sixteenth in the 2014 IndyCar season was rookie Mikhail Aleshin, ever the fighter.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Agag hopes for “three or four different makers of motors and batteries” during F-E’s second season.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
P15 caps a difficult IndyCar season for Justin Wilson and Dale Coyne Racing.
Sep 30, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
The son of two-time Nationwide Series champion Randy Lajoie will race the upcoming NNS events at Kansas, Charlotte, Texas, and Homestead.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 1
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 6
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 23
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3