May 19, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
– If you’re into numerology, it would appear that the number four is playing a role in how this 97th Indianapolis 500 is playing out so far. The field for this year’s running features four former winners of the “500” (Dario Franchitti, Helio Castroneves, Scott Dixon and Buddy Lazier), four rookie drivers (Carlos Munoz, A.J. Allmendinger, Tristan Vautier and Conor Daly), and four female drivers (Simona de Silvestro, Ana Beatriz, Pippa Mann, and Katherine Legge). One wonders if this bodes well for J.R. Hildebrand in the No. 4 Panther Racing Chevrolet. Or maybe it means good luck for the driver starting fourth on Sunday, Andretti Autosport’s E.J. Viso?
– There is a combined total of 144 Indianapolis 500 starts across this year’s field, up from the 103 years of combined experience in last year’s field. However, it’s a long way off from the race record of 260 years of experience, which has been set twice in 1987 and 1992.
– The oldest driver in the field also has the most previous starts of anyone in the field, too. Buddy Lazier, 45, managed to make his 17th Indy 500 this afternoon during Bump Day. But it’s likely safe to assume that Lazier will never get the record for most starts all-time, which belongs to four-time “500” winner and current IndyCar team owner A.J. Foyt. “Supertex” notched 35 Indy starts, all consecutive, from 1958 to 1992.
– This year’s field averaged a qualifying speed of 226.176 miles per hour, good enough to be the fourth-fastest field in “500” history. The fastest grid ever at Indy was the 2002 edition, which averaged 228.648 miles per hour.
– The starters will now be heading off across the continent to promote this year’s race. Here’s where they’ll be going for their respective media tours:
- New York: Helio Castroneves and Dario Franchitti
- Detroit: Will Power, Townsend Bell and Simona de Silvestro
- Cincinnati: Ed Carpenter, Justin Wilson and Tony Kanaan
- Philadelphia: Scott Dixon and Ryan Briscoe
- Birmingham, Ala.: Josef Newgarden
- Charlotte: A.J. Allmendinger
- Columbus, Oh.: James Jakes
- Chicago: Graham Rahal
- Dallas: Marco Andretti
- Dayton, Oh.: Buddy Lazier and Pippa Mann
- Houston: Takuma Sato
- Lafayette, Ind.: Ana Beatriz
- Louisville, Ky.: Conor Daly and Katherine Legge
- Los Angeles: J.R. Hildebrand
- Miami: Carlos Munoz, Sebastian Saavedra, Oriol Servia, and E.J. Viso
- Milwaukee: Simon Pagenaud and Charlie Kimball
- Tampa Bay: Sebastien Bourdais and Tristan Vautier
- Toronto: James Hinchcliffe and Alex Tagliani
- Washington, DC: Ryan Hunter-Reay
Jul 31, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Nasr calls on the team to make it through a rough patch ahead of the next raft of updates in Belgium.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
The Mid-Ohio dominator tops Friday practice in 2015.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Verstappen joins Team Redline’s sim racing roster in a bid to keep sharp when not on the track.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Some news and notes from the paddock at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
We round up all of the latest news and developments in Formula E ahead of pre-season testing next month.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
With victory in Hungary, Vettel closed the gap at the top to 42 points – but can he catch Lewis Hamilton and challenge for a fifth world title?
Jul 31, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
First blood to Bourdais in practice at Mid-Ohio ahead of Power and Newgarden.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Hinchcliffe’s recovery continues following his accident in practice for the Indy 500 back in May.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Gutierrez claims his work in a reserve role at Ferrari is helping to open up some new opportunities for 2016.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
Josef Newgarden’s future will become a talking point at some stage, but it appears it will be after the season.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:26 AM EDT
Umphrey’s McGee on a GTSport Racing Porsche Cayman S? Believe it.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:00 AM EDT
TV times from Mid-Ohio this weekend.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
Discounted tickets set to go on sale this Friday in a bid to improve attendance figures.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Derrick Walker on the prowl for whatever’s next in his long racing career.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Despite running fifth in the standings with three races to go, Power hasn’t given up on retaining the no. 1 for 2016.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
The 2016 F1 season is set to swell to a record 21 races.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Ericsson reflects on his first half-season with Sauber that has brought his first points in F1, but also presented some missed opportunities.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Derrick Walker to resign from INDYCAR at year’s end.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
With seven races at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course this weekend, it’s an important one for the entire Mazda Road to Indy.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
His recent record may suggest otherwise, but Castroneves believes he can gun for the race win this weekend.
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 0
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 1
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1