May 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Claire Williams has tipped Valtteri Bottas to become Formula One world champion in the future, despite failing to score during his opening five races for Williams F1 team.
Talking to the official Formula One website about Bottas, Williams said: “He is so great. Cool and calm. He is a typical Finn.
“I think we definitely have a future world champion at hand – but of course we have to give him the car to allow him to prove his talent.”
The FW35 car has certainly stunted the progress of both Bottas and teammate Pastor Maldonado so far in 2013, with neither driver scoring any points. At this point in 2012, the team had scored 43 points, and Maldonado had claimed one race win in Spain. Last weekend, the team was fighting off Caterham’s Charles Pic come the checkered flag, but Williams is pleased with how her rookie driver has done.
“He has done a good job so far. He has finished every race, made up positions with great overtaking manoeuvres, and is giving strong feedback to the engineers in order to improve the car.”
However, Williams admitted that solving the problems with the car was no quick-fix, and it would be some time until the team would return to the top ten.
“When we found out what the problem with the car is after Malaysia we knew that it wasn’t going to be fixed quickly. So we didn’t have the expectation that once we start the Europe campaign it would be the start of a new beginning. We still have a long road ahead of us to get back into regularly qualifying in Q3 and regularly scoring points.”
Traditionally, Williams has always ran well in Monaco, and with a few retirements, Bottas and Maldonado could yet break their pointless duck in 2013.
Video from NASCAR America
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 0
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 2
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14