May 20, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Bernie Ecclestone believes BMW could make a return to F1 in the near future as Honda are doing.
Ecclestone told City AM newspaper he would be “surprised” if BMW did not revive their Formula One effort.
“I think they could come in,” he added. “The amount of money they spent was not significant in the grand scheme of things. It makes sense for them to return.”
BMW supplied engines to Ecclestone’s Brabham team from 1982 to 1987, during which time Nelson Piquet won the drivers’ championship.
The German manufacturer returned to F1 with Williams in 2000 but split with them after six years. They took over the Sauber team in 2006 and made rapid progress, winning the Canadian Grand Prix in 2008. BMW also gave Sebastian Vettel his F1 debut at Indianapolis in 2007, substituting for the injured Robert Kubica.
But the following season was a disaster and BMW quit the sport at the end of the year, handing control of their team back to Peter Sauber.
Since scrapping their F1 programme BMW has concentrated its efforts on road car-based competition. It entered Germany’s popular DTM touring car series last year and won the constructors’ championship at its first attempt while Bruno Spengler scooped the drivers’ title. BMW signed ex-Marussia F1 driver Timo Glock to its DTM team earlier this year.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 4
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)