May 20, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
Pastor Maldonado has high hopes about his return to Monaco for this weekend’s grand prix.
Maldonado has a strong record on the demanding Monte-Carlo street track from his junior career. He has not scored there in his two previous F1 visits, though he came close in 2011 before a controversial collision with Lewis Hamilton.
“I have always been very competitive at Monaco, doing well there in GP2, so I always look forward to this race as I feel very comfortable driving the circuit,” said Maldonado.
“You can also feel the history of Formula One as you drive through the streets and tackle some of the really famous corners.
Although F1 has seen a lot of changes of position during recent races, Maldonado expects qualifying will be of far greater importance in Monaco:
“Qualifying will be very important at this race and is probably 70% of the weekend because overtaking is so difficult and risky,” he explained.
“Tire strategy and tire management is important as you always use the softer compound of tires in Monaco and they are very sensitive this year.”
Williams team mate Valtteri Bottas is making his first appearance at the circuit. “It’s definitely the most challenging race on the calendar for the drivers, being an old school street circuit with no room for mistakes,” he said.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)