May 20, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
This weekend may have been the busiest for series not called Formula One, IndyCar and NASCAR. F1 and the two domestic North American sports car championships, GRAND-AM and the American Le Mans Series, were all off. But here’s what else was going on around the motorsports world this weekend:
- The Australian V8 Supercars made their North American race debut at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas (pictured). Defending series champion Jamie Whincup, of the Red Bull Australia Holden team, won three of the four races on offer, with Fabian Coulthard taking the other Sunday race. Nearly 69,000 fans attended the three-day weekend, an impressive debut number.
- Also in Austin, it was a busy weekend for the Pirelli World Challenge. GT and GTS each had two races, with the TC and TCB classes opening their 2013 seasons with a tripleheader round. In GT, Johnny O’Connell (Cadillac, Saturday) and James Sofronas (GMG Audi, Sunday) were winners, with GTS wins going to Lawson Aschenbach (Blackdog Camaro, Saturday) and Andy Lee (Best IT Camaro, Sunday). Compass360 Racing swept the three TC races with Ryan Winchester’s Civic Si taking both Saturday wins, and teammate Brett Sandberg winning on Sunday. Meanwhile in TCB, 15-year-old phenom Ernie Francis Jr. swept the entire weekend in his MAZDA2.
- Audi’s Mike Rockenfeller took the DTM win in Brands Hatch ahead of Bruno Spengler and Robert Wickens. McLaren F1 tester Gary Paffett was issued a post-race penalty for failing to yield to yellow flags, which promoted ex-Marussia test driver Wickens to his first DTM podium. American Joey Hand also recorded his best DTM finish, fifth in his BMW.
- At Le Mans’ short Bugatti circuit, Dani Pedrosa took the MotoGP win ahead of Cal Crutchlow and Marc Marquez. Pedrosa now leads Marquez in that championship.
- Black Falcon Racing’s Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 and drivers Bernd Schneider, Jeroen Bleekemolen, Sean Edwards and Nicki Thiim won the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring on the legendary “Green Hell,” a race interrupted by heavy rain overnight.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Newman, one of the “Eliminator 8,” may be penalized tomorrow by NASCAR after his car was found to be too low following Sunday’s race at Talladega. Nate Ryan has more on the situation.
Oct 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Notes and numbers to keep in mind as the 8 remaining Chasers prepare to begin the Eliminator Round.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Recapping Talladega on NASCAR AMERICA.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
A great post-season for Busch was erased by a mid-race crash on Sunday at Talladega, but crew chief Dave Rogers says there’s no point in blaming the rules of the new Chase.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Miami Formula E circuit revealed.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Prepare to have this track bouncing in your head all day.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
What to know heading into the next round of NASCAR’s Chase.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
They say they always do things bigger in Texas, and that phrase would perfectly describe legendary former drag racer and NASCAR team owner Raymond Beadle.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Coby finishes 17th in the season finale at Thompson (Conn.) Speedway, but earns the 2014 series title by 22 points over race winner Ryan Preece.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Turner on the move to PWC from IMSA.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Beadle helped bring the “Blue Max” brand to prominence in drag racing, and guided NASCAR legend Rusty Wallace to his lone Winston Cup title.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
DTM champion will test for Toro Rosso.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Both of Team Penske’s drivers advance to Eliminator round of Chase, which saves the ignominy of one of the winningest drivers this year going home.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
The organization says it will make a full presentation on its findings during the next World Motor Sport Council meeting in December.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Love him or loathe him, Keselowski deserves respect for coming through in the clutch like he did on Sunday.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
After Cassill, Kvapil’s sixth leads a quartet of more surprise drivers in top-20 Sunday at Talladega.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Ricciardo comes to the U.S. early for Supercross.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
A potential nightmare situation for Sprint Cup’s new Chase still exists, in the form of two as-yet winless drivers still battling for a title in 2014.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Career day for Landon Cassill ends not only with his first Cup top-five, but first top-10.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 AM EDT
Nico Hulkenberg gets another year with Force India.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 0
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10