May 20, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
This weekend may have been the busiest for series not called Formula One, IndyCar and NASCAR. F1 and the two domestic North American sports car championships, GRAND-AM and the American Le Mans Series, were all off. But here’s what else was going on around the motorsports world this weekend:
- The Australian V8 Supercars made their North American race debut at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas (pictured). Defending series champion Jamie Whincup, of the Red Bull Australia Holden team, won three of the four races on offer, with Fabian Coulthard taking the other Sunday race. Nearly 69,000 fans attended the three-day weekend, an impressive debut number.
- Also in Austin, it was a busy weekend for the Pirelli World Challenge. GT and GTS each had two races, with the TC and TCB classes opening their 2013 seasons with a tripleheader round. In GT, Johnny O’Connell (Cadillac, Saturday) and James Sofronas (GMG Audi, Sunday) were winners, with GTS wins going to Lawson Aschenbach (Blackdog Camaro, Saturday) and Andy Lee (Best IT Camaro, Sunday). Compass360 Racing swept the three TC races with Ryan Winchester’s Civic Si taking both Saturday wins, and teammate Brett Sandberg winning on Sunday. Meanwhile in TCB, 15-year-old phenom Ernie Francis Jr. swept the entire weekend in his MAZDA2.
- Audi’s Mike Rockenfeller took the DTM win in Brands Hatch ahead of Bruno Spengler and Robert Wickens. McLaren F1 tester Gary Paffett was issued a post-race penalty for failing to yield to yellow flags, which promoted ex-Marussia test driver Wickens to his first DTM podium. American Joey Hand also recorded his best DTM finish, fifth in his BMW.
- At Le Mans’ short Bugatti circuit, Dani Pedrosa took the MotoGP win ahead of Cal Crutchlow and Marc Marquez. Pedrosa now leads Marquez in that championship.
- Black Falcon Racing’s Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 and drivers Bernd Schneider, Jeroen Bleekemolen, Sean Edwards and Nicki Thiim won the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring on the legendary “Green Hell,” a race interrupted by heavy rain overnight.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Australian driver enjoys a solid first day of testing in Jerez, completing more laps than the team managed in four days at last year’s opening test.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
New car only arrived in Spain on Sunday evening after being fired up in the factory on Saturday.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
McLaren CEO confirms that there will be a change in design at some point this year, but refuses to say when.
Feb 1, 2015, 11:05 AM EST
German driver makes a good start to life with Ferrari, but it is Mercedes who puts in the performance of the day with an incredible 157 laps completed.
Feb 1, 2015, 10:45 AM EST
German driver wants to avoid a repeat of his last race defeat to Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in 2014.
Feb 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
After storming to third place in the constructors’ championship in 2014, Williams must now consolidate its rise and push for race wins.
Feb 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
As the post-Vettel era begins at Red Bull, Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat prepare to step up to the plate.
Feb 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Technical chief Paddy Lowe working on improved reliability in 2015 after some issues last season.
Feb 1, 2015, 5:00 AM EST
F1 pre-season gets underway in Jerez with the first public test.
Feb 1, 2015, 4:35 AM EST
Something out of the ordinary from Red Bull as pre-season testing begins in Jerez, Spain.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:09 PM EST
Given the way the 2014 season turned out for him, Jimmie Johnson would have preferred to see the old Chase for the Sprint Cup format rather than the new elimination format.
Jan 31, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
With Al-Anabi Racing now defunct, team owner Alan Johnson has picked up the remnants and intends on racing one Top Fuel dragster, with 2013 champ Shawn Langdon behind the wheel, in at least the first two races of the 2015 season.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:01 PM EST
Jeff Gordon wanted to see his successor continue on the legacy of the No. 24 car. Chase Elliott is happy to continue that tradition.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Mexican driver is excited for the return of his home grand prix in November, even if he won’t be racing.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
News and notes after Indy Lights wraps up its week of testing in Homestead.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:21 PM EST
Richard Childress Racing and Matt McCall have reached settlement on a lawsuit that sought to keep McCall from becoming Jamie McMurray’s crew chief for the 2015 season.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Mexican driver feels that Force India’s hunger can take the team up the grid this year.
Jan 31, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Kenseth and DeWalt are back together, and the six-race sponsorship dates are revealed.
Jan 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Ron Dennis makes clear that Alonso is locked into his new contract with the British team.
Jan 31, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Herald Scotland checks in with Dario Franchitti on his new life outside the cockpit.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 2
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 1
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 3
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0