May 20, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
This weekend may have been the busiest for series not called Formula One, IndyCar and NASCAR. F1 and the two domestic North American sports car championships, GRAND-AM and the American Le Mans Series, were all off. But here’s what else was going on around the motorsports world this weekend:
- The Australian V8 Supercars made their North American race debut at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas (pictured). Defending series champion Jamie Whincup, of the Red Bull Australia Holden team, won three of the four races on offer, with Fabian Coulthard taking the other Sunday race. Nearly 69,000 fans attended the three-day weekend, an impressive debut number.
- Also in Austin, it was a busy weekend for the Pirelli World Challenge. GT and GTS each had two races, with the TC and TCB classes opening their 2013 seasons with a tripleheader round. In GT, Johnny O’Connell (Cadillac, Saturday) and James Sofronas (GMG Audi, Sunday) were winners, with GTS wins going to Lawson Aschenbach (Blackdog Camaro, Saturday) and Andy Lee (Best IT Camaro, Sunday). Compass360 Racing swept the three TC races with Ryan Winchester’s Civic Si taking both Saturday wins, and teammate Brett Sandberg winning on Sunday. Meanwhile in TCB, 15-year-old phenom Ernie Francis Jr. swept the entire weekend in his MAZDA2.
- Audi’s Mike Rockenfeller took the DTM win in Brands Hatch ahead of Bruno Spengler and Robert Wickens. McLaren F1 tester Gary Paffett was issued a post-race penalty for failing to yield to yellow flags, which promoted ex-Marussia test driver Wickens to his first DTM podium. American Joey Hand also recorded his best DTM finish, fifth in his BMW.
- At Le Mans’ short Bugatti circuit, Dani Pedrosa took the MotoGP win ahead of Cal Crutchlow and Marc Marquez. Pedrosa now leads Marquez in that championship.
- Black Falcon Racing’s Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 and drivers Bernd Schneider, Jeroen Bleekemolen, Sean Edwards and Nicki Thiim won the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring on the legendary “Green Hell,” a race interrupted by heavy rain overnight.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
After five winners in last five Chinese Grands Prix, is a sixth possible?
Apr 16, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
All-electric Garage 56 prototype features another familiar Nissan name in his Le Mans return.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
If Sprint Cup drivers’ comments during today’s Goodyear tire test at Kansas Speedway are an indication, we can expect to see track records fall next month on the 1.5-mile oval.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Kyle Petty breaks down critical pit strategies in recent races, and Nate Ryan reports on today’s Goodyear tire test at Kansas.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Rookie rival Kyle Larson has been more flashy, but Dillon’s consistency has paid off in the season’s first eight races.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
On tap: The decision of four tires or two; Jeff Gordon’s crew chief, Alan Gustafson; today’s tire test at Kansas; and the Darlington edition of “Scan All 43.”
Apr 15, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Mosley’s advice to current FIA president Jean Todt? “Take no notice.”
Apr 15, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
The first race of last month’s season-opening weekend in St. Petersburg was rained out.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
The Force India driver will look to continue his momentum this weekend in China.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
The test will help determine the aerodynamic options available to teams for this June’s IndyCar event on the 1.5-mile oval in Fort Worth.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Video highlights from the first Chinese Grand Prix, already 10 years ago.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Like father, like daughter? Ella Sofia Gordon got her first taste of a quarter-midget car earlier this week.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Some of IndyCar’s top performers, stats of notes and points after two races.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Indy Lights rookie Lloyd Read has either been really unlucky with circumstances or really lucky to avoid worse circumstances in the first two races, depending on your interpretation.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Where the NASCAR points standings sit after eight races, now post-Darlington.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Expert insight from NBCSN’s IndyCar ace analyst Townsend Bell returns for a second season on MotorSportsTalk.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
No overturning of Red Bull’s appeal at Melbourne.
Apr 14, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
See what changed between Sunday morning and Sunday afternoon for three of IndyCar’s best – a street race at Long Beach where the gloves came off.
Apr 14, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
Sabine Kehm also talks about the Schumacher family having to deal with “untruths” in media reports about the seven-time F1 champion’s health.
Apr 14, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Rick Allen and Kyle Petty discuss the Darlington efforts from Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart, and Jimmie Johnson – as well as Kurt Busch and Clint Bowyer’s late incident.
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- Clint Bowyer hits ‘white-of-your-eyes-fast’ speed of 217 mph in tire test at Michigan (13)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)