May 20, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
It’s hard not to feel for Michel Jourdain Jr. this Monday. Jourdain was the only driver who failed to qualify for this year’s Indianapolis 500, as he battled an ill-handling car all week for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing.
Jourdain is one of the nicest, most genuine people in the IndyCar community, and he has been a great friend for many of the veterans from his full-time years spent in CART from 1996 through 2004.
He won twice in the 2003 CART series, driving for Bobby Rahal, and finished third in the championship, ahead of such luminaries as Sebastien Bourdais, Alex Tagliani, Oriol Servia, Jimmy Vasser, and then-rookie and current IndyCar champion Ryan Hunter-Reay.
Indy has bitten some of open-wheel racing’s most successful drivers in qualifying. Just since 2008, the year of open-wheel unification, race winners in CART or the IRL who have failed to qualify include Hunter-Reay, Mike Conway and Patrick Carpentier (2011), Paul Tracy and Jaques Lazier (2010), Tagliani and Buddy Lazier (2009) and Mario Dominguez and Max Papis (2008).
It was no surprise, then, that tweets of support flowed in for Jourdain throughout Sunday and into Monday from the veterans who raced against Jourdain in his full-time years and a year ago at Indy, when he made a comeback to the 500 after a 16-year hiatus.
- Dario Franchitti (@dariofranchitti): Please spare a though for our friend @MichelJourdain who through no fault of his own missed the race toady.. Feel bad for him and his team
- Sebastien Bourdais (@BourdaisonTrack): @MichelJourdain I feel for you bud. You didn’t deserve that. I hope to see you around soon and back next year.
- Scott Dixon (@scottdixon9): @dariofranchitti @MichelJourdain feel really bummed for ya mate! Your a top man!
- Ryan Hunter-Reay (@ryanhunterreay): Feeling for @MichelJourdain, keep your head up buddy. Not much you could’ve done. You’re only as fast as the horse you’re riding.
- Graham Rahal (@grahamrahal): Good day for us, bad day for our team. Feeling for @MichelJourdain. His car simply wasnt right. I drove it w/ my setup and it was terrible.
- Jimmy Vasser (@jimmyvasser): Well said RT @dariofranchitti: Please spare a though for our friend @MichelJourdain who through no fault of his own missed the race toady..
Nov 28, 2014, 7:16 PM EST
Red Bull GRC champs Olsbergs MSE has their drivers second and fourth in the standings so far.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
Put down your shopping bags, heat up some Thanksgiving leftovers, and tune in for a Black Friday edition of NASCAR AMERICA on NBCSN.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
Mark Webber fastest in second practice for WEC at Interlagos.
Nov 28, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Porsche 919 Hybrids run 1-2 in the first session at Interlagos.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
The end of the WEC season occurs this weekend in Brazil.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
We take a look back at some of the biggest stories in Formula 1 this year.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Rico Abreu locks up USAC Honda Midget Series title with fifth-place finish in Thanksgiving classic.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Alonso proved once again in 2014 that he has ability exceeding that of the Ferrari car, but even he couldn’t make up for the shortcomings of the F14 T.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Spanish driver to race alongside Max Verstappen in 2015, stepping up to make his F1 debut.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Red Bull may have been underdogs after winter testing, but few could have predicted Sebastian Vettel’s bid for a fifth world title being as weak as it was.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
After a difficult rookie season, Bottas’ sophomore year in F1 brought far more success, marking the Finn as a possible champion in the future.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Kvyat will replace Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull next year.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Nico Hulkenberg and Porsche: a win for both the WEC and F1 in a rare moment of motorsport unity for the common good.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
What a year it was for Daniel Ricciardo in his first season at Red Bull.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Talks about a new contract with Mercedes should be brought forwards after title win.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
A worthy title contender, Nico Rosberg enjoyed his most successful season to date in 2014.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
2014 saw the Briton become a two-time F1 world champion, winning 11 races.
Nov 28, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
A new regime will come into force at Maranello next season following a disappointing campaign in 2014.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:00 AM EST
British racer will remain with Williams for 2015 after becoming the first woman to take part in a grand prix weekend session in 22 years over the summer.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:46 PM EST
NHRA team owner Don Schumacher underwent surgery Wednesday for early-stage skin cancer.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 12
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 3