May 20, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
It’s hard not to feel for Michel Jourdain Jr. this Monday. Jourdain was the only driver who failed to qualify for this year’s Indianapolis 500, as he battled an ill-handling car all week for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing.
Jourdain is one of the nicest, most genuine people in the IndyCar community, and he has been a great friend for many of the veterans from his full-time years spent in CART from 1996 through 2004.
He won twice in the 2003 CART series, driving for Bobby Rahal, and finished third in the championship, ahead of such luminaries as Sebastien Bourdais, Alex Tagliani, Oriol Servia, Jimmy Vasser, and then-rookie and current IndyCar champion Ryan Hunter-Reay.
Indy has bitten some of open-wheel racing’s most successful drivers in qualifying. Just since 2008, the year of open-wheel unification, race winners in CART or the IRL who have failed to qualify include Hunter-Reay, Mike Conway and Patrick Carpentier (2011), Paul Tracy and Jaques Lazier (2010), Tagliani and Buddy Lazier (2009) and Mario Dominguez and Max Papis (2008).
It was no surprise, then, that tweets of support flowed in for Jourdain throughout Sunday and into Monday from the veterans who raced against Jourdain in his full-time years and a year ago at Indy, when he made a comeback to the 500 after a 16-year hiatus.
- Dario Franchitti (@dariofranchitti): Please spare a though for our friend @MichelJourdain who through no fault of his own missed the race toady.. Feel bad for him and his team
- Sebastien Bourdais (@BourdaisonTrack): @MichelJourdain I feel for you bud. You didn’t deserve that. I hope to see you around soon and back next year.
- Scott Dixon (@scottdixon9): @dariofranchitti @MichelJourdain feel really bummed for ya mate! Your a top man!
- Ryan Hunter-Reay (@ryanhunterreay): Feeling for @MichelJourdain, keep your head up buddy. Not much you could’ve done. You’re only as fast as the horse you’re riding.
- Graham Rahal (@grahamrahal): Good day for us, bad day for our team. Feeling for @MichelJourdain. His car simply wasnt right. I drove it w/ my setup and it was terrible.
- Jimmy Vasser (@jimmyvasser): Well said RT @dariofranchitti: Please spare a though for our friend @MichelJourdain who through no fault of his own missed the race toady..
Jul 3, 2015, 4:46 AM EDT
First practice at Silverstone kicks off at 5am ET on Friday.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:08 PM EDT
The way his season had been going, two-time NHRA Funny Car champ Tony Pedregon was threatening to become a “Whatever Happened To?” question.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:18 PM EDT
New NHRA Peter Clifford has the experience and apparently plenty of ideas already to get the sport of drag racing moving forward and out of neutral.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Today, Iowa. Next year, Indianapolis? That’s what Matthew Brabham is hoping for, after completing his first full IndyCar test with Andretti Autosport Thursday at Iowa Speedway.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
At the same time that James Hinchcliffe was seriously injured while practicing for the Indianapolis 500, Ryan Briscoe didn’t have a ride for either the 500 or for the season.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
The same ten teams from season one, albeit with a few name changes.
F1 Strategy Group pushing through technical revolution for 2017, other changes planned as early as Belgian GP
Jul 2, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
F1 Strategy Group met with the FIA and Formula One Management in England on Wednesday to discuss future changes to the sport.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Red, white and blue in time for the British Grand Prix weekend.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The MST team makes its predictions ahead of this weekend’s British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT
What if The Rolling Stones’ concert set list at IMS was specifically inspired by recent IndyCar events? We ponder the possibilities.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:44 AM EDT
A Power outage, JPM and Marco’s quiet rolls, and other IndyCar nuggets of note leaving Fontana.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Four driver changes ahead of this weekend’s round at Silverstone.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Can Lewis Hamilton make it a homecoming to remember by scoring his third British Grand Prix victory at Silverstone?
Jul 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Mark Miles discussed Fontana, Milwaukee, Road America and more.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:53 PM EDT
The CEO of IndyCar discussed the challenges of putting together an extended series schedule.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
TV times across the board for this weekend’s British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT
Could penalties be coming to drivers who speak out about IndyCar’s on-track product? Mark Miles flips some pancakes on the possibility.
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- WATCH LIVE: FP1 for the British Grand Prix on Live Extra from 5am ET 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 2
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 0
- F1 Strategy Group pushing through technical revolution for 2017, other changes planned as early as Belgian GP 3
- 2015 British Grand Prix Preview 1