May 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
As you’d expect, there are many perks that go with winning the Indianapolis 500 such as the traditional wreath, the glass of milk, and having your name and face added to the Borg-Warner Trophy. But there’s also another longstanding prize for the victor.
Since the 1930s, it has been a tradition to award the winner of the “500” with one of that year’s pace cars or a street-legal replica of it. And with three Indy wins to his credit, Team Penske’s Helio Castroneves has earned a trio of them – an Oldsmobile Bravada from 2001, a Chevrolet Corvette C5 from 2002, and a Chevrolet Camaro SS from 2009.
Castroneves, along with Dario Franchitti, is seeking to become the fourth four-time winner of the “500,” which would not only put him in the company of Indy icons A.J. Foyt, Rick Mears and Al Unser but also net him this year’s pacer – the much-hyped 2014 Corvette Stingray.
With the new Stingray boasting 450 horsepower, a 0-60 mph speed of less than four seconds, and an overall top speed of 190 mph, it’s little wonder that Castroneves – a Chevy-powered driver – wants one badly for himself.
Even if he can’t quite get the name of the car right.
“This year, it is actually the Corvette, uh, Stinger – the Spider,” said Castroneves in an interview with Michelle Beadle on NBC Sports Network’s “The Crossover.”
“It’s unbelievable, so actually, I’m looking for that one,” he continued with more than a little glee. “I wanna go for it and make sure I can have that car.”
It’s probably safe to assume that the Bowtie camp will let that one slide if he wins the “500” for them this Sunday. Check out what else Castroneves had to say on “The Crossover” in the video above, and remember to catch the show every weekday at 6 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Video from NASCAR America
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4