May 21, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said it was crucial for the team to agree a new engine deal with a car manufacturer.
The team announced last week it will reunite with former engine supplier Honda in 2015.
“McLaren needs to be supported and teamed in a full works effort with a major automotive manufacturer,” said Whitmarsh at a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes phone-in.
“We’re going to be doing all we can to win races with Mercedes this year and next, but inevitably moving to Honda in 2015 gives us a bedrock of being one of the big teams.
“It ensures that in the long term we have the resources, the correct structure and focus, to be successful.”
Whitmarsh added the switch between engine suppliers, which will come after the first year of F1′s new engine regulations, will be “a tough challenge for the team”.
McLaren and Honda won their first race together in the 1988 Brazilian Grand Prix and their last race together in the 1992 Australian Grand Prix. During that period they amassed 44 wins out of a possible 80, four consecutive constructors’ championship victories and four drivers’ titles won by Ayrton Senna (three) and Alain Prost (one).
Driver Jenson Button will be reunited with Honda having used their engines between 2003 and 2008.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)