May 21, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
This year marks the 50-year anniversary of Parnelli Jones’ win in the 1963 Indianapolis 500. Although he’s 79, ‘ol Rufus doesn’t look or sound anywhere near his actual age.
NBC Sports Network reporter and IndyCar insider Robin Miller sits down with Parnelli to chat about his seven 500 starts and his place in Indianapolis, and racing, lore. Jones and this year’s polesitter Ed Carpenter took a photo to compare their respective four-lap averages from their qualifying runs then and now.
Video from NASCAR America
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 0
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1