May 21, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
This year marks the 50-year anniversary of Parnelli Jones’ win in the 1963 Indianapolis 500. Although he’s 79, ‘ol Rufus doesn’t look or sound anywhere near his actual age.
NBC Sports Network reporter and IndyCar insider Robin Miller sits down with Parnelli to chat about his seven 500 starts and his place in Indianapolis, and racing, lore. Jones and this year’s polesitter Ed Carpenter took a photo to compare their respective four-lap averages from their qualifying runs then and now.
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- Clint Bowyer hits ‘white-of-your-eyes-fast’ speed of 217 mph in tire test at Michigan (13)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)