May 21, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Over Indianapolis qualifying weekend, Michael Pena, star of DreamWorks Animation’s new film “Turbo,” was named as honorary starter of this Sunday’s 97th running of the Indianapolis 500.
In “Turbo,” Pena portrays Tito, an entrepreneur who enters a super-fast snail in the Indy 500. The film races into theaters everywhere July 17. From DreamWorks Animation, and released by 20th Century Fox, the film’s titular hero is an ordinary garden snail whose dream to race in the Indianapolis 500 comes true (Photo credit right: DreamWorks Animation LLC).
There’s a connection between the movie and two of the drivers competing on Sunday. Townsend Bell will carry the “Turbo” colors on his No. 60 Sunoco/ “Turbo” Chevrolet for Panther Racing.
Meanwhile, DreamWorks hired three-time and defending Indy 500 champ Dario Franchitti as a creative consultant. Franchitti’s work on the film included imagining the track layouts to simulating what it feels like to be behind the wheel (or in the shell, in this case).
Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles offered some brief thoughts on “Turbo” on MotorSportsTalk ahead of the IndyCar season opener in St. Petersburg.
The trailer for the film is below:
- F1 Paddock Pass: Italian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Off The Grid: Silverstone preview (premieres 9/5 at 9:30am ET on NBCSN) 0
- Hamilton quickest again in second Italian GP practice 1
- Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in Italian GP FP1 1
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 2
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 4