May 21, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Over Indianapolis qualifying weekend, Michael Pena, star of DreamWorks Animation’s new film “Turbo,” was named as honorary starter of this Sunday’s 97th running of the Indianapolis 500.
In “Turbo,” Pena portrays Tito, an entrepreneur who enters a super-fast snail in the Indy 500. The film races into theaters everywhere July 17. From DreamWorks Animation, and released by 20th Century Fox, the film’s titular hero is an ordinary garden snail whose dream to race in the Indianapolis 500 comes true (Photo credit right: DreamWorks Animation LLC).
There’s a connection between the movie and two of the drivers competing on Sunday. Townsend Bell will carry the “Turbo” colors on his No. 60 Sunoco/ “Turbo” Chevrolet for Panther Racing.
Meanwhile, DreamWorks hired three-time and defending Indy 500 champ Dario Franchitti as a creative consultant. Franchitti’s work on the film included imagining the track layouts to simulating what it feels like to be behind the wheel (or in the shell, in this case).
Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles offered some brief thoughts on “Turbo” on MotorSportsTalk ahead of the IndyCar season opener in St. Petersburg.
The trailer for the film is below:
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 3
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 7
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1