May 22, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
Dale Jarrett (pictured), Maurice Petty, Tim Flock, Jack Ingram and Fireball Roberts will soon be known as NASCAR Hall of Famers.
The five NASCAR legends were voted into the Hall today and will officially be inducted as the Class of 2014 in ceremonies at the Charlotte, N.C.-based Hall next January.
The honors for Jarrett and Petty further burnish their families’ tremendous legacies in the sport. Dale joins father Ned in the Hall, while Maurice joins his father, Lee; older brother, Richard; and cousin Dale Inman.
“I’ve always felt like it was an honor and a privilege to drive for NASCAR, and this sport has been such a huge part of the Jarrett life,” Dale said according to the Associated Press. “Now to be part of something that my father is a part of, it just means the world to me.”
“It makes me happy because that means all of [the Pettys] are in,” said Maurice about his entry to the Hall. “So I’m tickled to death with it.”
Dale collected 32 wins in his driving career, as well as the 1999 Sprint Cup championship, while Maurice contributed to the Petty Enterprises dynasty as its chief engine builder for the majority of Richard’s 200 wins and seven Cup titles.
Flock and Roberts were early stars for the sport. The former won 39 times in his career and also claimed two series titles in 1952 and 1955, while the latter notched a healthy 33 victories and a status as one of the sport’s first fan favorites.
Ingram was honored for his career in what is now known as the NASCAR Nationwide Series. The North Carolina native won three consecutive titles (1972-74) during its time as the Late Model Sportsman Division; when the category became the Busch Series, Ingram grabbed two more crowns in 1982 and 1985.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 5