May 23, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
The 2012 United States Grand Prix has been awarded the prestigious Sports Event of the Year award at the SportsBusiness Journal/Daily Business Awards, which was held in New York last night.
The race was attended by over 265,000 fans, and the atmosphere was complimented by all of the drivers and teams in Austin. The track has quickly become a firm favorite among the fans and the F1 establishment thanks to its unique layout and undulations, and this award only furthers the credentials that the race can now boast.
“From the very beginning, there was some doubt whether our project would happen, but we hustled and we had a great team and a great group of owners behind us the whole way,” Sexton said. “We embarked on a nine-month journey, pulled the construction together, pulled the race off amidst a lot of complicated logistics, and had a great group of fans. I’m really proud of the team that pulled this off.”
The race marked Formula One’s return to the United States after a five year absence, and the success of the event has led to the approval of a second race in New Jersey for 2014, and rumors suggest that the sport could even return to Long Beach in the near future.
COTA will host its second United States Grand Prix on November 17 this year, and the track has also hosted V8 Supercars and Moto GP in recent weeks, both of which have gone down as huge successes.
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 6
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)