May 24, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Scuderia Toro Rosso’s Daniel Ricciardo has spoken of his special affinity for the Monaco Grand Prix, and the Australian driver expects the team to run well at the race after a good showing last time out in Barcelona.
Ricciardo ran well at the Spanish Grand Prix to finish P10, and he is sure that this result will translate into a good result this weekend in Monaco.
“The one thing that should guide us is that Barcelona is a very high downforce circuit and this is even higher downforce – if you have it,” Ricciardo explained in his blog. “So, because we were quicker in Barcelona than the team has been for the last few years, that probably points to us having a positive race here. Certainly we should be stronger than we were last year.”
Last year, Ricciardo retired from the race with 13 laps remaining, but he is confident that a similar disappointment will be avoided on Sunday during his second outing in an F1 car around the streets of Monte-Carlo.
“This is my sort of track. It’s got a real old-school vibe and like all street circuits, it’s a lot of fun. Last year I was really buzzing to race here. It didn’t go how I imagined, I really wanted to be quicker than I was, so this year I’m not going to talk it up too much – but I am confident we’ll be competitive and I’ll show some proper speed around the Circuit de Monaco.”
With the second seat at Red Bull up for grabs in 2014, Ricciardo will be hoping to take advantage of Monaco’s high rate of attrition in order to finish well within the points. The ode of Monaco is that good qualifying usually leads to a good race result, and the Australian driver will be keen on harnessing the one-lap pace of the STR08 during tomorrow’s shootout.
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3