May 24, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
Here’s two more Monaco Grand Prix anniversary wins this date: Mika Hakkinen won for McLaren in 1998, and Jenson Button for Brawn in 2009.
Both were routs in their championship-winning seasons. Hakkinen’s 1998 win was relatively uneventful, and marked McLaren’s first win at Monaco since Ayrton Senna’s in 1993. A heavy attrition rate promoted Giancarlo Fisichella’s Benetton to the podium in second, and both Arrows cars (Mika Salo in fourth, and Pedro Diniz in sixth) to the points.
In 2009, Button’s win for Brawn, ahead of teammate Rubens Barrichello, was his fifth in six races to open the season. The only real drama for Button occurred when he parked his car in parc ferme rather than the front straight, so he had to run to the podium ceremonies after the fact!
Button’s pole-winning lap is below.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0