Indy 500 memories loom large in one driver’s race prep

May 24, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT

Townsend Bell AP

Townsend Bell is the IndyCar color commentator on NBC Sports Network and a professional driver. He’ll drive the No. 60 Sunoco Turbo Chevrolet during the 97th Indianapolis 500 on Sunday.

My road to the Indianapolis 500 essentially started in 1986. I was 10 years old and living far away in the San Francisco area. Being 10 meant it was “my year;” my time had come in the Bell household. You see, there was this deal with my dad and my two brothers.

My father had promised us that when we turned 10, we got to select a destination for an all-expenses paid trip. Nothing lavish, but just some quality travel time between dad and his newly turned 10-year-old.

My older brother chose New York City. My younger brother would choose Alaska. My pick: the Indianapolis 500.

Mother Nature, as she can be, actually had me make the trip twice due to a rain-out on race day and in those days, the race was pushed to the following weekend. So my dad kept his word and we flew back out to Indy and I was treated to a great race, with Bobby Rahal taking the win.

I was awestruck. I not only knew that I made the right choice for my “trip,” but I knew that I had to get back there. And not for a seat in the grandstands, no, from that point on I was determined to return to Indy in the seat of a cockpit.

It took 20 years, but in 2006 I finally made my Indy 500 debut. It was a dream come true. In each of my six starts at the famed Brickyard, I’ve had to pinch myself.

Every May, when I make my trek from California to Indianapolis, I think about those trips I took with my father back in 1986. This May was no different, and as soon as I arrived I was consumed by it all once again. The sports cars and broadcast booth can wait. This is Indy.

Sunday, I’ll be making my seventh attempt at a run for victory and the chance to plant my face firmly on the Borg-Warner Trophy. I’ve still got the passion of a 10-year-old boy, and now it’s matched with the experience/determination of a veteran.

What’s more, I’m driving an iconic livery. Mark Donohue made the Sunoco colors synonymous with the winner’s circle at Indy in 1972. Now I’m looking to do the same, at least before DreamWorks Animation does.

“Turbo,” the new 3D animated comedy debuts in theaters on July 17 and my No. 60 Sunoco Chevy is visibly featured in the  DreamWorks film. I’d just like to make the car an Indy 500 winner before its run on the big screen.

Reuniting with Panther Racing this month has been fantastic. The team has given me a great car and I’ve been impressed with their operation. Their focus and preparation has not only served me well, but has been a benefit to my sponsors, including Sunoco, Turbo, Bowers & Wilkins, EcoDrink, Robert Graham, Motegi Racing, Heelys, and Sargent & Lundy.

Could 2013 be “my year,” like it was in 1986? Time will tell, but one thing is for certain, the 10 year-old in me is about to get another hell of a ride around this place.

You can follow Townsend Bell on Twitter @TownsendBell99.

Latest Posts
  1. Indy’s new scoring pylon is quite colorful (PHOTOS)

Jul 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Credit: Indianapolis Motor Speedway Credit: Indianapolis Motor Speedway

The new, 92-foot pylon is made up of four LED panels capable of video animations that relay race info to fans.

2. MRTI: Cape’s Toronto sweep; Burkett’s latest videos; other odds and ends

Jul 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

MazdaRoadToIndy

Recapping the future stars of IndyCar in action at Toronto this weekend.

3. Report: Mexican Grand Prix set for 2015 return?

Jul 22, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT

Grand Premio Tecate Getty Images

A report from Mexico says that Bernie Ecclestone has signed a five-year pact to bring F1 to Mexico City’s Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez starting next season.

4. IndyCar: Hinchcliffe continues to endure home race house of horrors

Jul 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

HinchTOR3 Getty Images

A miserable home weekend in Toronto strikes James Hinchcliffe yet again.

5. Claire Williams gives vote of confidence for Felipe Massa

Jul 22, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Practice Getty Images

Williams’ deputy team principal on Massa: “He is mature enough – and has enough experience in the sport – to realize that sometimes, things don’t go your way.”

6. Realistically, could Toronto IndyCar shift date to CTMP?

Jul 22, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

CTMPWide Getty Images

Given politics, dates and dreams, could an IndyCar race at CTMP be possible?

7. Formula E: Jerome d’Ambrosio confirmed with Dragon Racing

Jul 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

JDAFE Getty Images

Ex-F1 shoe Jerome d’Ambrosio gets signed up for new FE series.

8. Kyle Larson, Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan featured in Cottonelle ads (VIDEO)

Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

LarsonCottonelle Getty Images

Kyle Larson’s got a new house, a new kid on the way and now a new Cottonelle ad he might not be able to live down.

9. Report: Toto Wolff speaks out against F1’s double points finale

Jul 22, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

Mercedes’ Toto Wolff calls double points “unfair.”

10. IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations

Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT

TorontoAnalysis Getty Images

MST’s Tony DiZinno recaps the weekend in Toronto, that featured a host of surprises.

11. IndyCar: Gaps grow, but few major changes in points over last month

Jul 22, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT

TorontoLeadPts Getty Images

The stretch of six races in four weekends is over, as is the stretch of doubleheader weekends for the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season. Here’s the points breakdown.

12. Chase Elliott keeps winning, but he’s not finished capturing checkered flags this season by any stretch

Jul 22, 2014, 1:38 AM EDT

Chase Elliott after Saturday's win at Chicagoland Speedway. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh) AP

With the third win of his rookie Nationwide Series career, Chase Elliott continued to make it look easy in this past Saturday night’s EnjoyIllinois.com 300 at Chicagoland Speedway.

13. NASCAR: Bubba Wallace prepares for Eldora’s “Mudsummer Classic” (VIDEO)

Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT

(Photo: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images) Getty Images

For Wallace and his Truck Series rivals, racing on dirt presents a different set of challenges – and thus requires a different way to train.

14. NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary”

Jul 21, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

Brian France AP

In a satellite radio interview, France shared his thoughts on the consortium of NASCAR’s most powerful teams.

15. IMSA: IndyCar rookie Hawksworth to make sports car debut in Brickyard GP

Jul 21, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT

Jack Hawksworth AP

Jack Hawksworth will co-drive the No. 08 Prototype Challenge car for RSR Racing in Friday’s IMSA event on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.

16. Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate

Jul 21, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT

Will the 16th time be the charm for Tony Stewart in Sunday's Daytona 500? Getty Images

Between his Eldora Speedway hosting the Truck Series and then competing at Indianapolis this weekend in Sprint Cup, Stewart’s in the middle of a busy week.

17. Everything you need to know for Sunday’s Brickyard 400 at Indy

Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Juan Pablo Montoya AP

All the notes and numbers to keep in mind for NASCAR’s visit to Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

18. Hamlin best among NASCAR trio in American Century Champ. golf tourney (PHOTOS)

Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Pocono 400 - Practice Getty Images

One last bit of fun for Hamlin, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., and Michael Waltrip before the Sprint Cup Series returns to action at Indianapolis.

19. Brickyard 400 ad promises “roundhouse of awesome, square in your facehole” (VIDEO)

Jul 21, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Ryan Newman AP

Indianapolis Motor Speedway delivers a bizarre take on the classic “Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!” ads.

20. Back to Bark River: TORC returns to Michigan’s U.P. (SPOILER)

Jul 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

TORCLogo

Writer’s Note: The following is a recap of this weekend’s TORC: The Off-Road Championship races from Bark River, Michigan. NBCSN will air the races on Sun., Aug. 3, at 1:30 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know who won until then, we suggest you find another post to read here on MotorSportsTalk…