Indy 500 memories loom large in one driver’s race prep

May 24, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT

Townsend Bell AP

Townsend Bell is the IndyCar color commentator on NBC Sports Network and a professional driver. He’ll drive the No. 60 Sunoco Turbo Chevrolet during the 97th Indianapolis 500 on Sunday.

My road to the Indianapolis 500 essentially started in 1986. I was 10 years old and living far away in the San Francisco area. Being 10 meant it was “my year;” my time had come in the Bell household. You see, there was this deal with my dad and my two brothers.

My father had promised us that when we turned 10, we got to select a destination for an all-expenses paid trip. Nothing lavish, but just some quality travel time between dad and his newly turned 10-year-old.

My older brother chose New York City. My younger brother would choose Alaska. My pick: the Indianapolis 500.

Mother Nature, as she can be, actually had me make the trip twice due to a rain-out on race day and in those days, the race was pushed to the following weekend. So my dad kept his word and we flew back out to Indy and I was treated to a great race, with Bobby Rahal taking the win.

I was awestruck. I not only knew that I made the right choice for my “trip,” but I knew that I had to get back there. And not for a seat in the grandstands, no, from that point on I was determined to return to Indy in the seat of a cockpit.

It took 20 years, but in 2006 I finally made my Indy 500 debut. It was a dream come true. In each of my six starts at the famed Brickyard, I’ve had to pinch myself.

Every May, when I make my trek from California to Indianapolis, I think about those trips I took with my father back in 1986. This May was no different, and as soon as I arrived I was consumed by it all once again. The sports cars and broadcast booth can wait. This is Indy.

Sunday, I’ll be making my seventh attempt at a run for victory and the chance to plant my face firmly on the Borg-Warner Trophy. I’ve still got the passion of a 10-year-old boy, and now it’s matched with the experience/determination of a veteran.

What’s more, I’m driving an iconic livery. Mark Donohue made the Sunoco colors synonymous with the winner’s circle at Indy in 1972. Now I’m looking to do the same, at least before DreamWorks Animation does.

“Turbo,” the new 3D animated comedy debuts in theaters on July 17 and my No. 60 Sunoco Chevy is visibly featured in the  DreamWorks film. I’d just like to make the car an Indy 500 winner before its run on the big screen.

Reuniting with Panther Racing this month has been fantastic. The team has given me a great car and I’ve been impressed with their operation. Their focus and preparation has not only served me well, but has been a benefit to my sponsors, including Sunoco, Turbo, Bowers & Wilkins, EcoDrink, Robert Graham, Motegi Racing, Heelys, and Sargent & Lundy.

Could 2013 be “my year,” like it was in 1986? Time will tell, but one thing is for certain, the 10 year-old in me is about to get another hell of a ride around this place.

You can follow Townsend Bell on Twitter @TownsendBell99.

Latest Posts
  1. NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO)

Sep 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Coca-Cola 600 - Practice Getty Images

“Driver 88″ discusses his performance issues in the Challenger Round with NASCAR AMERICA’s Rick Allen.

2. NASCAR AMERICA: The strategy of the Contender Round (VIDEO)

Sep 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

Federated Auto Parts 400 Getty Images

How do you prepare for two races and then a free-for-all at Talladega? Rick Allen and Kyle Petty of NASCAR AMERICA discuss.

3. NASCAR: Nationwide Series crewman suspended for violating substance abuse policy

Sep 30, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

nationwideserieslogo

Also: Crew chief in same series fined, put on probation for car weight issue from last weekend at Dover.

4. F1: 3rd-place battle between Williams and Ferrari heads for Suzuka

Sep 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Valtteri Bottas, Kimi Raikkonen AP

Williams’ gap on Ferrari for third in the Constructors’ Championship is down to nine points going into this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.

5. WATCH LIVE: Dale Earnhardt Jr. talks Contender Round on NASCAR AMERICA

Sep 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

Also coming up today: A closer look at the Contender Round tracks and who’s been successful at them; Joe Gibbs Racing focusing on continued momentum at Kansas; more radio goodness with the Dover Chase edition of “Scan All 43.”

6. IndyCar Driver Review: Mikhail Aleshin

Sep 30, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT

AleshinSunIMS Getty Images

Sixteenth in the 2014 IndyCar season was rookie Mikhail Aleshin, ever the fighter.

7. Formula E CEO Agag hopeful for several motor/battery manufacturers in 2015-16

Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

Photo courtesy FIA Formula E Photo courtesy FIA Formula E

Agag hopes for “three or four different makers of motors and batteries” during F-E’s second season.

8. IndyCar Driver Review: Justin Wilson

Sep 30, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

JWilFinal2014 Getty Images

P15 caps a difficult IndyCar season for Justin Wilson and Dale Coyne Racing.

9. NASCAR: Corey Lajoie set for four-race run in No. 98 Nationwide Series car

Sep 30, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT

Sylvania 300 - Qualifying Getty Images

The son of two-time Nationwide Series champion Randy Lajoie will race the upcoming NNS events at Kansas, Charlotte, Texas, and Homestead.

10. IndyCar Driver Review: Charlie Kimball

Sep 30, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Shell Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston - Day 3 Getty Images

Charlie Kimball fights through an OK, but often challenging, 2014 season en route to P14 into the IndyCar standings.

11. NASCAR: Roster set for October’s Drive for Diversity combine

Sep 30, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

nascar logo 2014 Getty Images

20 multicultural and female drivers from across the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and South America will seek to earn a spot in the D4D’s Class of 2015.

12. IndyCar: James Hinchcliffe presides over Charlie Kimball’s wedding

Sep 30, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Hinchcliffe Getty Images

“The Mayor” has now apparently become The Minister.

13. IndyCar: Penske drivers off to Verizon HQ; CFH ones to Mid-Ohio today

Sep 30, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

MAVTV 500 Getty Images

A busy day for members of two IndyCar teams, as Penske and CFH drivers head to New Jersey and Mid-Ohio, respectively.

14. It’s been two years since Kobayashi’s Suzuka podium with Sauber (VIDEO)

Sep 30, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Brazil - Previews Getty Images

Two years ago, Kamui Kobayashi stood on an F1 podium in his home country, with Sauber. It seems so long ago, now.

15. Stats of note heading into Suzuka

Sep 30, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Sebastian Vettel AP

Some of the stats of note as we head into the Japanese Grand Prix.

16. IndyCar: What’s Honda’s next move, driver-wise?

Sep 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Honda Indy Toronto - Day 1 Getty Images

Honda has Ryan Hunter-Reay, but losing Simon Pagenaud and Josef Newgarden are big blows from marketing and on-track standpoints.

17. NASCAR AMERICA: Tony Stewart still shaken following fatal crash (VIDEO)

Sep 29, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Tony Stewart Press Conference Getty Images

More comments from Stewart’s press conference on Monday in North Carolina.

18. NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO)

Sep 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

AAA 400 Getty Images

Instead of racing to protect his position in the Chase, Jeff Gordon went into attack mode Sunday at Dover – and it paid off with a win. Check out his Victory Lane interview with NASCAR AMERICA’s Kelli Stavast here.

19. Everything you need to know about the 2014 Chasers at Kansas

Sep 29, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Kevin Harvick AP

All the notes and numbers to keep in mind as the Contender Round begins on Kansas’ 1.5-mile oval.

20. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA recaps Dover, Tony Stewart presser at 7 p.m. ET

Sep 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT

AAA 400 Getty Images

Coming up: Highlights from the first cut race of the Chase; reports on Kevin Harvick’s tire failure and Hendrick Motorsports; Tony Stewart speaks about trying to carry on after his involvement in a fatal sprint car accident.

Video from NASCAR America

Gordon: Win was great team statement
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches