May 25, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Approximately 35 runners that were unable to complete the 2013 Boston Marathon due to the horrific bombings near the start/finish line will complete the distance on Sunday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway before the beginning of the 97th Indianapolis 500.
Boston Marathon participants from Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois and Michigan will run about half a mile from Turn 4 to the Yard of Bricks on IMS’ front straight. The run will take place between 11:55 a.m. ET and Noon ET, less than 10 minutes before the command will be given to start engines.
“The tragedy last month in Boston still resonates with everyone, so we wanted to give runners the chance to finish the race in front of thousands of fans who will appreciate their persistence and determination,” said IMS chief operating officer Doug Boles in a statement. “Everyone will remember the victims while also celebrating the strength and indomitable spirit of these special competitors as they cross the hallowed Yard of Bricks.”
IMS had extended the invitation to the Boston Athletic Association, who in turn contacted non-finishers from Indiana and surrounding states. In a related note, about 3,000 runners and bombing victims gathered in Boston yesterday morning to run the final mile of the famous Marathon route.
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0