May 25, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Lewis Hamilton is delighted to have qualified on the front row for tomorrow’s Monaco Grand Prix after a difficult start to the race weekend.
The British driver had felt uncomfortable with the car before qualifying, but he overcame these difficulties to finish P2 just behind teammate Nico Rosberg.
“Congratulations to Nico and the team today, a great job all round,” Hamilton said in a team statement. “It’s a big improvement for me after struggling in the practice sessions here so I’m really happy to be on the front row of the grid. I didn’t have a great first sector on my lap today but after that it really came together.”
Despite this good result, Hamilton still believes that there is room for improvement if he is to fight for his second victory in Monaco, having won the prestigious event in 2008.
“I’ve got some work to do as I haven’t felt completely comfortable in the car this weekend but I’m confident that we can have a good race tomorrow and we’ll be aiming to get the best possible result for the team.”
Mercedes have qualified very strongly so far this season, with Rosberg’s result marking the team’s fourth consecutive pole position, but they are yet to record a win in 2013. Regardless, team principal Ross Brawn is sure that some progress has been made.
“We are well aware of our fate in the last few races and we have to make sure that we are in better shape for tomorrow,” Brawn said. “I believe we have moved in the right direction and we’ll see tomorrow if those improvements are enough and we can have a good race.”
Relying the Silver Arrows can manage their tires, both Hamilton and Rosberg will have a good shot at taking the win tomorrow.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 2
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 1
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0