May 25, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
In a final, 13-lap sprint to the finish, Kyle Busch managed to stay ahead of Kasey Kahne and win the History 300 at Charlotte Motor Speedway for his sixth NASCAR Nationwide Series victory of the year. Busch led 186 of 200 laps en route to his seventh NNS win in Charlotte, which broke a tie with Mark Martin
“Anytime you’re tied with somebody, you want to beat them,” said Busch after his 57th career win in the NNS. “To be tied with the greats in this sport like the Mark Martins or the Jack Ingrams — it makes it pretty special to beat those guys and the records they set at different tracks or whatever has been done before.
“Certainly, it’s never easy, but I felt like we had a good car. We were in good position and I told [crew chief] Adam [Stevens], ‘If this track gets hot, these guys are in trouble because they seem to slip slide around more than we do.’ I felt like our car was really good. I’m proud of the fact that what I felt actually came true today.”
Busch managed to keep the field behind despite being on older rubber. When Travis Pastrana crashed to bring out the caution at Lap 165, he opted to stay out along with Kahne and six other competitors. Two more cautions would come out on Laps 178 and 184 to bunch the field, but Busch still stayed at the top through it all.
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 0
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)