May 25, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Fernando Alonso has written off his chances of winning the Monaco Grand Prix after qualifying 6th for the race tomorrow, struggling to match the pace of pole-sitter Nico Rosberg.
“The chances of a win? Of course in Formula 1 nothing is impossible, but it’s very unlikely I think that we fight for the victory starting sixth in Monaco,” Alonso said in an interview. “Our second target is to finish ahead of our competitors in the championship – which is Kimi and Sebastian at this moment.
“But we will see. We saw the GP2 start and we know a safety car is possible here any lap. So there are many factors that might go wrong, the same as today. It was a very different qualifying, very difficult to interpret which tires to put on.”
Alonso, who won the race in 2006, was caught out by a highly-competitive field, being outqualified by Rosberg, Hamilton, Vettel, Webber and Raikkonen on Saturday.
“We know Mercedes, Lotus, Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari were competitive. Also Force India and we saw Di Resta out of Q1 in a very competitive weekend. We saw Grosjean out of Q2 in a very competitive weekend.”
Considering his practice performance, Alonso admitted that Ferrari have work to do if they are to win for a third time this season.
“We need to understand it. We were both cars in the podium in Barcelona and this morning before the qualifying we were P9 and P11 so definitely we today we were not at our best.”
Furthermore, Alonso was given a €1,000 fine for breaking the speed limit in the pit lane during Q1.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 1
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 5