May 25, 2013, 6:19 AM EST
Nico Rosberg has continued his clean-sweep of the sessions in Monaco by finishing quickest in final practice on Saturday.
The German driver’s good form from Thursday was evident once again, putting in a quickest time of 1:14.378 to edge out Romain Grosjean and Sebastian Vettel at the top of the time sheets. The session was interrupted by two red flags, the first of which came out with around 20 minutes left in the session after Felipe Massa went off at Ste Devote. The accident will certainly give Ferrari a busy lunchtime in the two hour break before qualifying if they are to get Massa out for the session, but thankfully he walked away unharmed.
Soon after the session restarted, Adrian Sutil suffered his second crash of the weekend at Massenet which ended his session early. However, the car was recovered under yellow flags, but the session was brought to an early end after Grosjean binned his Lotus at Ste Devote after avoiding Lewis Hamilton, who was coming out of the pits. This came after the Frenchman had damaged his first set of tires earlier in the session after scraping the barrier, and Lotus will also face a big repair job if they are to run in qualifying.
Grosjean had led at one point, with most drivers leaving it late to run on the super-soft tire, but it was Rosberg who ultimately finished fastest. Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber impressed for Red Bull to finish 3rd and 7th, marking an improvement from Thursday, whilst Fernando Alonso finished a good 4th for Ferrari ahead of Lewis Hamilton.
Kimi Raikkonen could not match his teammate’s pace in P6, but Paul di Resta, Pastor Maldonado and Nico Hulkenberg will all be delighted to have finished in the top ten. At the front though, it was all about Rosberg, who finished a full six-tenths clear of Grosjean. The German driver has been unstoppable so far this weekend in Monaco, and it’s hard to look past a Mercedes pole position in qualifying.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)