May 26, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Felipe Massa has been released from hospital following a large accident in today’s Monaco Grand Prix.
The Ferrari driver had made little progress in the race after starting P21, with an accident in FP3 causing him to miss qualifying. However, on lap 29, Massa experienced an exact replica of the accident on Saturday, once again hitting the wall on the left hand side of the pit straight. His Ferrari F138 then careered into the TecPro barrier at Ste Devote before coming to rest.
Massa was immediately extracted from the car, and he was given a neck brace to wear as a precaution before being transferred to the local hospital.
Soon after the race, Massa was released from hospital with a sore neck but no serious injuries.
The accident brought out the safety car for the first time during the race which Nico Rosberg went on to win ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber. For Ferrari, their weekend did not go to waste as Fernando Alonso finished the race in 7th.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 14
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0