Massa released from hospital after big crash

May 26, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-F1-MONACO-MCO Getty Images

Felipe Massa has been released from hospital following a large accident in today’s Monaco Grand Prix.

The Ferrari driver had made little progress in the race after starting P21, with an accident in FP3 causing him to miss qualifying. However, on lap 29, Massa experienced an exact replica of the accident on Saturday, once again hitting the wall on the left hand side of the pit straight. His Ferrari F138 then careered into the TecPro barrier at Ste Devote before coming to rest.

Massa was immediately extracted from the car, and he was given a neck brace to wear as a precaution before being transferred to the local hospital.

Soon after the race, Massa was released from hospital with a sore neck but no serious injuries.

The accident brought out the safety car for the first time during the race which Nico Rosberg went on to win ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber. For Ferrari, their weekend did not go to waste as Fernando Alonso finished the race in 7th.

1. iwillneverloginagain - May 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I never comment on blogs… but I CREATED A NEW ACCOUNT (that I will never use again) just so I could comment here about how HORRIBLE today’s NBC coverage of the Monaco GP was.

What kind of boneheads are you to show the POST RACE highlights & interviews BEFORE the race started??? I clicked play on my DVR ready for some suspense and the first thing I see… THE WINNERS OF THE RACE all sitting in pit lane celebrating.

And THEN you show the race AFTER that????

Idiots.

2. teambore11 - May 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Glad to hear Felipe is ok. I’m with Steve Matchett (who’s awesome by the way). I think the trans was the problem, electronics or what have you. I find it hard to believe that Massa would make that mistake once at that spot let alone twice. I love the ScuderiaFerrari but I don’t always believe them!

3. srw5000 - May 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM

iwillneverloginagain – – – Heads should roll after screwing up the coverage today. That was inexcusable.

We want to support the new people running the show but, Speed-tv is looking really good through the rear view mirror today.

It was sad day for American F-1 Race Fans today.

• moezilla - May 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Agreed…they even managed to screw up coverage of qualifying for Indy last weekend, promising 6 hours of coverage but missing all of the top qualifiers including Carpenter’s pole position run…had about 5 hours recorded on my DVR and was rewarded with horse racing highlights, an amateur hockey game, and about 2 hours of interviews from the Brickyard…I’m just glad I woke up late this morning and actually got to watch the whole Gran Prix of Monaco WITHOUT knowing the results….much more enjoyable to watch that way I hear…

4. Pejo69 - May 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I never leave comments…ever…but Today F1 coverage was an utmost disaster!

Choosing not to have live coverage for a prestigious and unique race like Montecarlo it’s a demonstration of great lack of understanding of this sport from who makes the call here. Deciding to then start live coverage of the race half way through was even worse…and this decision lead to practically nullifying the recorded coverage…given du to this the recorded coverage started exactly on the tail of the live show (as other already said…precisely on the image of who won the race!).
    For respect of those who joined on schedule or set the dvr to watch the race later, you could have just reset there and save the situation.

I bet most of the people just stopped watching after 1 minute….not exactly giving a good return of investment for the advertisers who paid for this slot either.

The first Montecarlo F1 GP on NBC Sport will be remembered for sure.

Video from NASCAR America