May 26, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Felipe Massa has been released from hospital following a large accident in today’s Monaco Grand Prix.
The Ferrari driver had made little progress in the race after starting P21, with an accident in FP3 causing him to miss qualifying. However, on lap 29, Massa experienced an exact replica of the accident on Saturday, once again hitting the wall on the left hand side of the pit straight. His Ferrari F138 then careered into the TecPro barrier at Ste Devote before coming to rest.
Massa was immediately extracted from the car, and he was given a neck brace to wear as a precaution before being transferred to the local hospital.
Soon after the race, Massa was released from hospital with a sore neck but no serious injuries.
The accident brought out the safety car for the first time during the race which Nico Rosberg went on to win ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber. For Ferrari, their weekend did not go to waste as Fernando Alonso finished the race in 7th.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0