May 26, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Felipe Massa has been released from hospital following a large accident in today’s Monaco Grand Prix.
The Ferrari driver had made little progress in the race after starting P21, with an accident in FP3 causing him to miss qualifying. However, on lap 29, Massa experienced an exact replica of the accident on Saturday, once again hitting the wall on the left hand side of the pit straight. His Ferrari F138 then careered into the TecPro barrier at Ste Devote before coming to rest.
Massa was immediately extracted from the car, and he was given a neck brace to wear as a precaution before being transferred to the local hospital.
Soon after the race, Massa was released from hospital with a sore neck but no serious injuries.
The accident brought out the safety car for the first time during the race which Nico Rosberg went on to win ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber. For Ferrari, their weekend did not go to waste as Fernando Alonso finished the race in 7th.
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 2