May 26, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Felipe Massa has been released from hospital following a large accident in today’s Monaco Grand Prix.
The Ferrari driver had made little progress in the race after starting P21, with an accident in FP3 causing him to miss qualifying. However, on lap 29, Massa experienced an exact replica of the accident on Saturday, once again hitting the wall on the left hand side of the pit straight. His Ferrari F138 then careered into the TecPro barrier at Ste Devote before coming to rest.
Massa was immediately extracted from the car, and he was given a neck brace to wear as a precaution before being transferred to the local hospital.
Soon after the race, Massa was released from hospital with a sore neck but no serious injuries.
The accident brought out the safety car for the first time during the race which Nico Rosberg went on to win ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber. For Ferrari, their weekend did not go to waste as Fernando Alonso finished the race in 7th.
- Juan Pablo Montoya, Will Power go looking for fun, wind up with ‘Sex Tape’ 1
- Brickyard owes Juan Pablo Montoya one, but will it pay off Sunday? 1
- Everyone worried about a Kenseth win — except Matt himself 0
- Hungarian GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Matt Kenseth fastest in Friday’s Sprint Cup practice at Indy 0