May 26, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
The Monaco Grand Prix has been red flagged following a heavy crash which caused the TecPro barrier to block the track.
On lap 46 of the race, Pastor Maldonado and Max Chilton were battling for position on the exit of the Nouvelle Chicane on the run down to Tabac. Chilton had the inside line, but he was not aware of Maldonado on the outside of the track. The Marussia squeezed the Williams into the wall, and Maldonado’s front wing went underneath his car. The Williams was then unable to avoid crashing into the barrier at a very high speed. Despite the TecPro barrier absorbing the majority of the impact, it came free from the wall and extended out onto the circuit, causing some damage to Jules Bianchi’s car. The race was immediately red flagged.
Thankfully, Maldonado was able to walk away from the incident, testament to the strength of the TecPro barrier. The remaining drivers, led by Nico Rosberg, lined up on the grid in race order and will resume the race under the safety car once the incident has been dealt with.
For details on how to follow the race live with NBC, click here. The race will resume at 9:35am ET.
- Power, Penske to the fore in second IndyCar practice at Barber 0
- WATCH: IndyCar qualifying from Barber at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0