May 26, 2013, 9:28 AM EST
The Monaco Grand Prix has been red flagged following a heavy crash which caused the TecPro barrier to block the track.
On lap 46 of the race, Pastor Maldonado and Max Chilton were battling for position on the exit of the Nouvelle Chicane on the run down to Tabac. Chilton had the inside line, but he was not aware of Maldonado on the outside of the track. The Marussia squeezed the Williams into the wall, and Maldonado’s front wing went underneath his car. The Williams was then unable to avoid crashing into the barrier at a very high speed. Despite the TecPro barrier absorbing the majority of the impact, it came free from the wall and extended out onto the circuit, causing some damage to Jules Bianchi’s car. The race was immediately red flagged.
Thankfully, Maldonado was able to walk away from the incident, testament to the strength of the TecPro barrier. The remaining drivers, led by Nico Rosberg, lined up on the grid in race order and will resume the race under the safety car once the incident has been dealt with.
For details on how to follow the race live with NBC, click here. The race will resume at 9:35am ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 0
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 3
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 12
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2