May 26, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
The Monaco Grand Prix has been red flagged following a heavy crash which caused the TecPro barrier to block the track.
On lap 46 of the race, Pastor Maldonado and Max Chilton were battling for position on the exit of the Nouvelle Chicane on the run down to Tabac. Chilton had the inside line, but he was not aware of Maldonado on the outside of the track. The Marussia squeezed the Williams into the wall, and Maldonado’s front wing went underneath his car. The Williams was then unable to avoid crashing into the barrier at a very high speed. Despite the TecPro barrier absorbing the majority of the impact, it came free from the wall and extended out onto the circuit, causing some damage to Jules Bianchi’s car. The race was immediately red flagged.
Thankfully, Maldonado was able to walk away from the incident, testament to the strength of the TecPro barrier. The remaining drivers, led by Nico Rosberg, lined up on the grid in race order and will resume the race under the safety car once the incident has been dealt with.
For details on how to follow the race live with NBC, click here. The race will resume at 9:35am ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: FP2 for the Belgian Grand Prix 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Belgian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Rosberg leads Hamilton in first Belgian GP practice 0
- Chilton to race in Belgium after all; Rossi denied F1 debut 1
- WATCH LIVE: FP1 for the Belgian Grand Prix 0
- After 62 starts, Brad Keselowski finally earns first career Trucks win at Bristol 0
- F1, IndyCar, Red Bull GRC highlight jam-packed motorsports weekend on networks of NBC 0