May 26, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
The Monaco Grand Prix has been red flagged following a heavy crash which caused the TecPro barrier to block the track.
On lap 46 of the race, Pastor Maldonado and Max Chilton were battling for position on the exit of the Nouvelle Chicane on the run down to Tabac. Chilton had the inside line, but he was not aware of Maldonado on the outside of the track. The Marussia squeezed the Williams into the wall, and Maldonado’s front wing went underneath his car. The Williams was then unable to avoid crashing into the barrier at a very high speed. Despite the TecPro barrier absorbing the majority of the impact, it came free from the wall and extended out onto the circuit, causing some damage to Jules Bianchi’s car. The race was immediately red flagged.
Thankfully, Maldonado was able to walk away from the incident, testament to the strength of the TecPro barrier. The remaining drivers, led by Nico Rosberg, lined up on the grid in race order and will resume the race under the safety car once the incident has been dealt with.
For details on how to follow the race live with NBC, click here. The race will resume at 9:35am ET.
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 0
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 5
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 16
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 6
- Ten with Townsend: Milwaukee and Iowa debrief 0
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 3